F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > wheel noob
Studio RSR

03-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

wheel noob

I'm looking to upgrade my 400M wheels to something else like a VMR or BBS primarily for esthetics; not planning to track the car. As an average noob consumer, what are the noticeable differences between the two that I should consider? To me BBS = high end, VMR = mid-grade. There are a few variables at play: price, weight, durability, fit, appearance.

Assume fit and appearance are constant.

As an average noob would a VMR wheel suffice for esthetics? I cant believe a few lbs/corner is going to make a dramatic difference.

Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Imperial Blue

Well I would go for what the best looking wheel is in your eye if your not after performance, if you don't have a budget go for bbs. Lightweight does make a large difference for unstrung weight. Especially rotational mass. I think it acts as 3 times the deduction for rotating mass, so say you we're using a regular tire that wasn't a runflat (heavy) and a lightweight wheel and you managed to shave 10 lbs per corner, which is 40 lbs but since its rotating all the time it would act like your saving 120 lbs. I'm no expert, just going off what I've read. Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

thanks for the explanation Grant.

I would assume that reducing unstrung weight results in the following for our cars:
-potential fuel savings
-quicker acceleration
-improved control during cornering

Do I have that correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

I'd also consider the strength of the wheel and the manufacturing process. I know you're not tracking those wheels. But how r your roads? Full of potholes? Not perfectly maintained? Here in Pittsburgh, people get wheels dented and damaged all the time just due to the road conditions. Therefore, wheel strength was not a non-issue for me when I was considering new wheels, even though I didn't buy them for track.

I hear VMR makes some nice wheels. And of course BBS does. I believe most (all?) VMR wheels are gravity cast, while a lot of the lower cost BBS wheels are low pressure cast. I ended up with some Avant Garde wheels because they're supposed to be a little stronger than VMR (low pressure cast vs gravity cast). But here are lots of people who are happy with their VMR wheels too.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode
thanks for the explanation Grant.

I would assume that reducing unstrung weight results in the following for our cars:
-potential fuel savings
-quicker acceleration
-improved control during cornering

Do I have that correct?
Yes exactly. Bbs is probably the best in the business for forged wheels, but damn expensive. Im currently searching for lightweight wheels and think im going with enkei. Ive heard good things about them when it comes to strength and durability, while not costing as much as bbs. But if you have the cash, go hard for bbs i encourage
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Michigan is notorious for pot-holes especially after the winter we are having. However, I can say that I haven't bent a wheel since I was driving a 2001 Cavalier. I hope I don't jinx myself.

What is the construction method of the BMW wheels?

I would love to get into a set of BBS CH-R; however, that's a tough pill to swallow cost wise.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode
Michigan is notorious for pot-holes especially after the winter we are having. However, I can say that I haven't bent a wheel since I was driving a 2001 Cavalier. I hope I don't jinx myself.

What is the construction method of the BMW wheels?

I would love to get into a set of BBS CH-R; however, that's a tough pill to swallow cost wise.
BMW wheels are strong, but quite heavy (except for their forged wheels) that cost as much as bbs or more depending on which bbs wheel set you go with
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Ordered a staggered set of 18" Forgestar F14's in Gunmetal. Thanks guys!

dramatic weight saved, and a little bit more pushin' for the cushion.

Last edited by drexplode; 03-15-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcq784 View Post
I'd also consider the strength of the wheel and the manufacturing process. I know you're not tracking those wheels. But how r your roads? Full of potholes? Not perfectly maintained? Here in Pittsburgh, people get wheels dented and damaged all the time just due to the road conditions. Therefore, wheel strength was not a non-issue for me when I was considering new wheels, even though I didn't buy them for track.

I hear VMR makes some nice wheels. And of course BBS does. I believe most (all?) VMR wheels are gravity cast, while a lot of the lower cost BBS wheels are low pressure cast. I ended up with some Avant Garde wheels because they're supposed to be a little stronger than VMR (low pressure cast vs gravity cast). But here are lots of people who are happy with their VMR wheels too.
Just to touch on this subject, we do offer some LP cast and flow formed options actually. Also, the manufacturing method only tells part of the story when it comes to wheel strength, and there are some misconceptions about how wheels are made. That's for another thread though.