F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Iphone new
GetBMWParts

09-13-2018, 01:41 AM   #67
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
I may just stick with my 7 for another year.

I’m still not convinced that Face ID is a better alternative to Touch ID either. Also, what’s with the constant need to make the damn things bigger each year. I need to be able to fit the thing in a pocket, and the 7 is about the sweet spot (for me) between screen size and pocketability.

If I want a bigger screen that won’t comfortably fit in a pocket, I’ll just reach for my iPad

My 7 still does everything I need of it, and isn’t slow. Wireless charging is about the only thing I’d like.
The only thing the Face ID is better for is if you often use your phone with wet fingers, as it saves typing in your passcode.

However...in other regards, for me at least, Face ID was worse so I needed up using the passcode more often than with Touch ID, so it was annoying and less functional than Touch ID.

No new T-ID phones will be made so by the time you upgrade, F-ID will be better via new hardware and better software.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 01:59 AM   #68
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Thinking about it, I could just get an iPhone 8. Same form factor as the 7, but has wireless charging. That would keep me going a bit longer.

Regarding Touch ID, I think Apple are still trying to get it to work through the screen, so may still return at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:21 AM   #69
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

So have the iPhone 7 & 8 been reduced in price?
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:45 AM   #70
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
So have the iPhone 7 & 8 been reduced in price?
I don't know the old prices but it looks like it - £449 and up for the 7 and £599 and up for the 8. I think they were more before?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:46 AM   #71
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Quote:
I may just stick with my 7 for another year.

I'm still not convinced that Face ID is a better alternative to Touch ID either. Also, what's with the constant need to make the damn things bigger each year. I need to be able to fit the thing in a pocket, and the 7 is about the sweet spot (for me) between screen size and pocketability.

If I want a bigger screen that won't comfortably fit in a pocket, I'll just reach for my iPad

My 7 still does everything I need of it, and isn't slow. Wireless charging is about the only thing I'd like.
The only thing the Face ID is better for is if you often use your phone with wet fingers, as it saves typing in your passcode.

However...in other regards, for me at least, Face ID was worse so I needed up using the passcode more often than with Touch ID, so it was annoying and less functional than Touch ID.

No new T-ID phones will be made so by the time you upgrade, F-ID will be better via new hardware and better software.
It's a shame. Touch is so much better. A lot more natural for Apple Pay as well.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2292.50
      09-13-2018, 02:50 AM   #72
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
I was thinking the same... and coral look like it will match the interior of my car
Don't know if you guys use 3d touch, but the XR seems to lack it.
I have 3D touch turned off, hate it!
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 02:51 AM   #73
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Thinking about it, I could just get an iPhone 8. Same form factor as the 7, but has wireless charging. That would keep me going a bit longer.

Regarding Touch ID, I think Apple are still trying to get it to work through the screen, so may still return at some point.
That's a lot of expense just to get wireless charging!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 03:06 AM   #74
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:

While it's convenient, it is considerably slower and not worth an upgrade just for that. I stopped using the wireless charge cradle in my F30 for long periods as the phone would get very hot.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 03:08 AM   #75
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. I believe it is quicker as well, but I’m not struggling with speed.

It’s just that the 8 would stay current for longer than the 7, and may keep going until Touch ID returns.

It’s the size of new phones that’s upsetting me the most though.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 03:14 AM   #76
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Wireless charging is not faster, see the graph below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:20 AM   #77
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

Blimey, its like walking in to a Flat Earth Society meeting.

I can't believe people are still buying in to Apples marketing and spending that much money.

Android; Huawei or Pixel.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9DPh...ONiM/giphy.gif
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #78
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

The official pronunciation for "XS" is "tennis" apparently...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:43 AM   #79
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
The official pronunciation for "XS" is "tennis" apparently...
FFS
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #80
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
I have a 128gb 8 and my memory is pretty much all used up!

I would go 512 next time!

He joys of having million of pics of our kids on our phone
Use a Cloud service rather than your phone. It's a step change but once you get used to it, everything is available and backed up all the time and you don't need to fork out for memory.

Quote:
I have 3D touch turned off, hate it!
It doesn't work with webbed fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_M4CP View Post

I can't believe people are still buying in to Apples marketing and spending that much money.

For owners of other phone marques, many seem to think that Apple's products are inferior in every way. That's simply not true. They excel in many areas. That view really is "flat earth" as you put it.

Expensive phone granted but you could apply that philosophy to many products for example BMW vs Ford, Kia, etc etc etc.

When texting and I receive a green text back, I often think what a shame, you can't afford an iPhone.

Snobbery costs?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #81
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
Use a Cloud service rather than your phone. It's a step change but once you get used to it, everything is available and backed up all the time and you don't need to fork out for memory.
I need the memory for music storage.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #82
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I can't believe people still buy BMW when a Kia has the ability to move people around, for less money and in some cases probably better tech
Appreciate 3
Zippee363.50
Watsey6399.00
      09-13-2018, 05:08 AM   #83
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
For owners of other phone marques, many seem to think that Apple's products are inferior in every way. That's simply not true. They excel in many areas. That view really is "flat earth" as you put it.

Expensive phone granted but you could apply that philosophy to many products for example BMW vs Ford, Kia, etc etc etc.

When texting and I receive a green text back, I often think what a shame, you can't afford an iPhone.

Snobbery costs?
I used to think that too when I had iPhones.

Now I have 'seen the light' and moved to Android, when I receive a text from an iPhone user, I often think 'what a shame, you're gullible'.

Yep agreed, you could apply the same philosophy to cars. But as most people see a car as a functional item and just want it to do its job of conveying them from A to B, I apply the same principle to phones.

What exactly does an iPhone excel in over the two Android phones I mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:15 AM   #84
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Snobbery costs?
I used to think that too when I had iPhones.

Now I have 'seen the light' and moved to Android, when I receive a text from an iPhone user, I often think 'what a shame, you're gullible'.

Yep agreed, you could apply the same philosophy to cars. But as most people see a car as a functional item and just want it to do its job of conveying them from A to B, I apply the same principle to phones.

What exactly does an iPhone excel in over the two Android phones I mentioned?
That nebulous category and a highly-subjective one - user experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #85
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
In what way is that better? Is making a phone call somehow 'jewel like'? Using the camera is akin to 'floating amongst the clouds witnessing the birth of Christ'? Is opening an app like going down on Kylie Minogues front bottom?

I think the novelty of any new smart phone lasts for exactly 2 nano seconds. After that, its just another device to get stuff done. Couple of chaps at work always get the newest iPhone and do the usual Steve Jobs sales pitch. Apart from them being the dullest fuckers on the planet, the extra £200, 300 or 400 they paid for their iPhone (which they seem to think gives them bragging rights) means the square root of fuck all after a day or two.

You can use the car analogy but we here are generally car enthusiasts to a certain degree so its maybe the wrong audience.

Are people considered 'phone enthusiasts'? I doubt many people will say 'Hmm, I think I'll take my Nokia 3366 out for a few phone calls at the weekend'.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #86
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In what way is that better? Is making a phone call somehow 'jewel like'? Using the camera is akin to 'floating amongst the clouds witnessing the birth of Christ'? Is opening an app like going down on Kylie Minogues front bottom?

I think the novelty of any new smart phone lasts for exactly 2 nano seconds. After that, its just another device to get stuff done. Couple of chaps at work always get the newest iPhone and do the usual Steve Jobs sales pitch. Apart from them being the dullest fuckers on the planet, the extra £200, 300 or 400 they paid for their iPhone (which they seem to think gives them bragging rights) means the square root of fuck all after a day or two.

You can use the car analogy but we here are generally car enthusiasts to a certain degree so its maybe the wrong audience.

Are people considered 'phone enthusiasts'? I doubt many people will say 'Hmm, I think I'll take my Nokia 3366 out for a few phone calls at the weekend'.
If you don't understand why the user experience of device A vs device B makes a difference, there's no hope.

These things stopped being phones a long time ago, they are portable/personal computing devices and "phone" is generally a little-used function.

For those who value "phone" above other functionality, there is a class of device available or they will choose the cheapest/simplest device available.

Some people prefer Linux, others Windows or OSX - do you understand that analogy? :
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #87
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm still waiting for LobB or alter-ego to chip in and we pass it all off as banter
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:37 AM   #88
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I dare say there are some people who always get the latest iPhone as they can afford to (the monthlies, that is) and like to brag about it.

Those are the real twats of course!
Appreciate 0