F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Crossclimate + on 19inch M-Sport wheels
ARMA SPEED

10-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Crossclimate + on 19inch M-Sport wheels

Hello all,

It time to replace my tires again...

Since winter is quickly approaching I am thinking about getting the crossclimate + so I can keep them all year around. I have read very good reviews about them. I don't have storage space so separate winters and summers are not possible for me.

The problem is that Michelin doesn't make them in the front tire size of 225 35r19, but they make them for my rears (255 30r19). Is there any alternative sizes I can put on? Otherwise I will have to go for the Pilot Sport 4s and be worried when the weather is colder.

Also, my car is a 435d xdrive. Will these tires be any good for spirited drives?

Thank you all in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Standard sizes for 435d on 19's is 225x40x19 & 255x35x19

Think you will struggle to get any all weather in the front sizes and limited in the rear
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Standard sizes for 435d on 19's is 225x40x19 & 255x35x19

Think you will struggle to get any all weather in the front sizes and limited in the rear
Yeah that is what I am realising. I was really keen for these since I can find them for my rear
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

I’d stick the pilot sport 4s on those 19” rims
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

I had the Michelin Climates on my previous car for the winter, excellent tyre in the wet, felt very stable and when you hit standing water the car didn't get pulled around like a summer tyre would.

Wouldn't want to use them in the summer though as they have limited grip in the dry due to the flexible tyre block and lack of rubber in contact with the road.

Probable best to use them for winter only and get a summer tyre as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoring_101 View Post
I had the Michelin Climates on my previous car for the winter, excellent tyre in the wet, felt very stable and when you hit standing water the car didn't get pulled around like a summer tyre would.

Wouldn't want to use them in the summer though as they have limited grip in the dry due to the flexible tyre block and lack of rubber in contact with the road.

There’s nothing wrong with the crossclimates in the summer, they are more summer tyre based than winter tyre unlike most other all season tyres which are more winter tyre based. The crossclimates won’t match the best premium summer tyres on a hot dry day, but they will match an average summer tyre easily as many tests have shown.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

The problem is I can't find them for my original Bmw size. Is there an alternative I can use?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
The problem is I can't find them for my original Bmw size. Is there an alternative I can use?
Think you will struggle to get the exact sizes you currently have on your car but you should get some that will fit the rims ok I guess.
Try Bridgestone Weather Control A005, they have more 19” sizes to choose from than the cross climates and came out top on tests here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...e-Overview.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:

The CrossClimate+ is the second generation, all tests show they're pretty much as close to a summer tyre as you can get, whilst still retaining all of the winter benefits. They're vastly improved over their predecessor.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
motoring_101
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
There’s nothing wrong with the crossclimates in the summer, they are more summer tyre based than winter tyre unlike most other all season tyres which are more winter tyre based. The crossclimates won’t match the best premium summer tyres on a hot dry day, but they will match an average summer tyre easily as many tests have shown.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with them, however i wouldn't want to use them in the summer as, as you say, a good summer tyre provides more grip. Never had an average summer tyre so can't comment on that, also never compared them to a good winter tyre so no idea if they are a better summer than winter tyre, but they were a very good all-season tyre.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
motoring_101
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfox View Post
The CrossClimate+ is the second generation, all tests show they're pretty much as close to a summer tyre as you can get, whilst still retaining all of the winter benefits. They're vastly improved over their predecessor.
I am considering whether to go for a set of winters for my car this year, the summer tyres will probably last another month and the main thing I liked about the crossclimates was that they were designed to work below temperatures of 7 degrees. As i am going to switch between summer and winter tyres I might go for a dedicated winter tyre this time rather than an all-season.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #12
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say there was anything wrong with them, however i wouldn't want to use them in the summer as, as you say, a good summer tyre provides more grip. Never had an average summer tyre so can't comment on that, also never compared them to a good winter tyre so no idea if they are a better summer than winter tyre, but they were a very good all-season tyre.
Depends on the type of car and use I suppose. I’d quite happily run them all year round on a 120bhp ford focus, hell a lot of people driving those type of cars ask the tyre place for the cheapest summer tyres they can get, and the cross climates will be better than those in summer.
In the past I’ve used them all year round on a 320d without any issues but I wouldn’t run them all year round on my 325bhp remapped 330d though, I’d prefer the Pilot sport 4 on that during summer.
Appreciate 0