F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Another F30 N20 Blown Motor Thread :(
GetBMWParts

11-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #881
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galip1993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
Kies Motorsport (famous YouTube channel) got a free engine after it had blown due to timing chain failure, under the SULEV warranty. I have heard of reports of others going this route and being successful in getting a replacement engine or timing chain.

However, there is speculation and hesitation among people since it does not specifically state TC. But as stated, other people have used it successfully in their favour. For this reason, I would say yes.
Yes thats exactly the video I saw and wanted to ask about. Although it seems the car in the vid is not an LCI... I wonder because since BMW changed the timing chain and guides for the LCI F30, if the SULEV warranty would still apply to the LCI models Also in the vid it seems to have a chart for SULEV warranty states and PA only says something like 2009 & 2010.

I would like to also ask if anybody here has a aftermatket warranty on their bmw? If so can you please share the details
There are a handful of states that support SULEV and there is no year limit. It is a 15 year long warranty that BMW continues to provide. SULEV has no relation to it being LCI or otherwise. LCI or not, based on what I've seen, many things are covered under the umbrella of SULEV. It's truly a hidden gem, and I've heard some dealers hide it, and don't make it known. So be aware of all the things it can cover and be sure to press for it, because they may not mention it and just have you pay.
      11-29-2020, 11:58 PM   #882
Galip1993
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: dodge challenger srt 392

Quote:
There are a handful of states that support SULEV and there is no year limit. It is a 15 year long warranty that BMW continues to provide. SULEV has no relation to it being LCI or otherwise. LCI or not, based on what I've seen, many things are covered under the umbrella of SULEV. It's truly a hidden gem, and I've heard some dealers hide it, and don't make it known. So be aware of all the things it can cover and be sure to press for it, because they may not mention it and just have you pay.
Good to hear Yeah PA is a state thats within the program for sulev cars. This just makes the car I want to get even more appealing.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #883
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galip1993 View Post
Quote:
Good to hear Yeah PA is a state thats within the program for sulev cars. This just makes the car I want to get even more appealing.
I think in that kies video, they do get it covered, but it's due to something actually covered under the sulev warranty, in their state, needing to be replaced, and in turn, the timing chain and guides. The sulev 15 year warranty does not automatically cover the timing chain. There's another thread on this I'm sure, but the title and premise of the video are somewhat misleading as I recall. I will see if I can find the thread and link here
sspade2464.50
      12-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #884
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E46, '13 F10 (TC failed)

Full docket text for document 84:

TEXT ORDER: The Court has reviewed the submission by Settlement Class member Lawrence Brocchini [D.E. 82]. Mr. Brocchinis request to be heard telephonically hearing on the issues raised in his letter at the February 16, 2021 final approval hearing is granted. Counsel for Plaintiffs shall ensure that Mr. Brocchini is advised as to how to participate in the final approval hearing.. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 11/25/20. (tjg, )
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #885
alex0607
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 & E60

I am on another forum in Singapore and there is a thread posted by one of the workshop there that documents owners' cars being repaired. I think I can see 75% of the cars documented have the broken timing chain plastic guide issues. You can follow the link here. (Hope this is ok to share links from another forum).

https://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/thread...note-of.88189/

So this issue is quite common it seems unlike what most people were led to believe by the dealership. I am now a paranoid git worrying about driving my car and the engine dying on me. Haha... (This is a nervous laugh)
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #886
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbender View Post
Full docket text for document 84:

TEXT ORDER: The Court has reviewed the submission by Settlement Class member Lawrence Brocchini [D.E. 82]. Mr. Brocchinis request to be heard telephonically hearing on the issues raised in his letter at the February 16, 2021 final approval hearing is granted. Counsel for Plaintiffs shall ensure that Mr. Brocchini is advised as to how to participate in the final approval hearing.. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 11/25/20. (tjg, )
I hardly believe it will change the decision previously released. But let's keep our fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #887
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Full docket text for document 85:
MOTION for Attorney Fees , Reimbursement of Expenses and Service Awards to Class Rep. by ERHAN ARAT, MICHAEL CERNY, KENNETH GAGNON, ARTEM V. GELIS, AMANDA GOREY, NICOLE GUY, KAREN HENDERSON, GREGORY HEYMAN, SUSAN HEYMAN, OLSON V JAMES, CRAIG LASH, ANDRE MALSKE, ALEX MARTINEZ, ROBERT McDONALD, Maria Meza, ASHOK PATEL, BHAWAR PATEL, DAVID RICHARDSON, THOMAS P. SOBRAN, DARRIAN STOVALL, Stacey Turner, DEBRA P. WARD, CHRIS WILLIAMS, ERIC T. ZINN. (Attachments: # (1) Brief In Support of Motion for Award of Attorneys Fees (Redacted), # (2) Declaration In Support of Motion for Award of Attorneys Fees (Redacted), # (3) Exhibit 1- Settlement Agreement, # (4) Exhibit 2- Decl. of Gary S. Graifman, # (5) Exhibit 3- Decl. of Thomas P. Sobran, # (6) Exhibit 4- Decl. of Bruce H. Nagel, # (7) Exhibit 5- Final Approval Order in VW Timing Chain Matter, # (8) Text of Proposed Order)(GRAIFMAN, GARY)

Full docket text for document 86:
MOTION for Attorney Fees , Reimbursement of Expenses and Class Representative Service Award by ERHAN ARAT, MICHAEL CERNY, KENNETH GAGNON, ARTEM V. GELIS, AMANDA GOREY, NICOLE GUY, KAREN HENDERSON, GREGORY HEYMAN, SUSAN HEYMAN, OLSON V JAMES, CRAIG LASH, ANDRE MALSKE, ALEX MARTINEZ, ROBERT McDONALD, Maria Meza, ASHOK PATEL, BHAWAR PATEL, DAVID RICHARDSON, DARRIAN STOVALL, Stacey Turner, DEBRA P. WARD, CHRIS WILLIAMS, ERIC T. ZINN. (GRAIFMAN, GARY)

Full docket text for document 87:
MOTION for Attorney Fees , Reimbursement of Expenses and Class Representative Service Award by ERHAN ARAT, MICHAEL CERNY, KENNETH GAGNON, ARTEM V. GELIS, AMANDA GOREY, NICOLE GUY, KAREN HENDERSON, GREGORY HEYMAN, SUSAN HEYMAN, OLSON V JAMES, CRAIG LASH, ANDRE MALSKE, ALEX MARTINEZ, ROBERT McDONALD, Maria Meza, ASHOK PATEL, BHAWAR PATEL, DAVID RICHARDSON, DARRIAN STOVALL, Stacey Turner, DEBRA P. WARD, CHRIS WILLIAMS, ERIC T. ZINN. (Attachments: # (1) Brief ISO Motion for an Award of Attorneys' Fees, Reimbursement of Expenses and Class Representative Service Award)(GRAIFMAN, GARY)

Full docket text for document 88:
TEXT ORDER: Plaintiffs have submitted various filings in connection with their motion for attorneys fees [D.E. 85, 86, 87]. Plaintiffs are directed to refile their motion, whereupon the aforementioned items will be terminated. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 12/10/20. (tjg, )

Full docket text for document 89:
MOTION for Attorney Fees , Reimbursement of Expenses and Service Awards to Class Rep. by ERHAN ARAT, MICHAEL CERNY, KENNETH GAGNON, ARTEM V. GELIS, AMANDA GOREY, NICOLE GUY, KAREN HENDERSON, GREGORY HEYMAN, SUSAN HEYMAN, OLSON V JAMES, CRAIG LASH, ANDRE MALSKE, ALEX MARTINEZ, ROBERT McDONALD, ASHOK PATEL, BHAWAR PATEL, DAVID RICHARDSON, DARRIAN STOVALL, DEBRA P. WARD, CHRIS WILLIAMS, ERIC T. ZINN. (Attachments: # (1) Brief ISO Motion for Attorney Fees, Reimbursement of Expenses and Service Awards (Redacted), # (2) Declaration Of Class Counsel (Redacted), # (3) Exhibit 1- Settlement Agreement, # (4) Exhibit 2- Decl. of Gary S. Graifman w/ Exhibits, # (5) Exhibit 3- Decl. of Thomas P. Sobran w/ Exhibits, # (6) Exhibit 4- Decl. of Bruce H. Nagel w/ Exhibits, # (7) Exhibit 5- Final Approval Order, # (8) Text of Proposed Order)(GRAIFMAN, GARY)

Full docket text:
CLERK'S QUALITY CONTROL MESSAGE - Please be advised the [85-1] brief in association with the motion for attorney's fees, filed by GARY GRAIFMAN on 12/8/2020 appears to be filed in the incorrect case. This submission will remain on the docket unless otherwise ordered by the court. Further correspondence with counsel indicates that the correct brief was subsequently filed in the [87-1] duplicate motion for attorney's fees. Please disregard [85-1] Brief. This message is for informational purposes only. (lag, )

Docket 89 - http://www.sjbender.com/89.zip
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #888
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Just got a letter in the mail for this class action. It will cover you if your chain failed and you had it repaired at BMW before 70k miles and 7 years.
Reimburse you up to 3k for repairs or 7.5k for engine replacement at an independent shop.
If the chain hasn't failed yet, the warranty is extended to 8 years and 100k miles, but will only cover 100% if the failure is before 70k miles and 7 years.
No relief over 100k miles and 8 years.

I've been driving my 2015 x3 28i sparingly as I didn't know what the outcome of this lawsuit was going to be. This result helps those with failed timing chains but no preventative measures from BMW as a result.
BMW has not been defeated and are sticking to their extended warranties.

Was really hoping for a recall but guess we won't get one.
So I'm still stuck driving a ticking timebomb.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #889
CopyRunStart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

Just got my letter in the mail as well. I scanned and attached it here in case anyone wants to see (even though I believe it's elsewhere as well). This is all of it save for the cover page with all my personal info on it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMWLetter.pdf (8.48 MB, 159 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #890
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Got my letter in the mail as well... Blew my engine no way of knowing if timing chain related at this point, reckon it isn't time to try to get reimbursed, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:17 AM   #891
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

I haven't receiving anything, but also not the original owner. Any idea if I'll ever get it? I did pay a split shared cost to get my chain replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #892
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
I haven't receiving anything, but also not the original owner. Any idea if I'll ever get it? I did pay a split shared cost to get my chain replaced.
I got one and I was the second owner of my 13 328i, and I haven't even owned it since Oct. I believe you would get one as well.
      12-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #893
CopyRunStart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
I'm a second owner and I got it like the guy above, so you should. Either way, I'm betting you can still just fill out the form and be fine
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #894
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I got a letter in the mail too but I have a 335i. Isn't this for N20 motors only? Weird.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #895
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
I got a letter in the mail too but I have a 335i. Isn't this for N20 motors only? Weird.
C'mon, this is your chance. Get yourself a new engine. Maybe they don't notice
      12-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #896
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyRunStart View Post
Quote:
I'm a second owner and I got it like the guy above, so you should. Either way, I'm betting you can still just fill out the form and be fine
The online form is asking for the barcode or whatever which I can't do?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #897
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Full docket text:
Set Deadlines as to [89] MOTION for Attorney Fees , Reimbursement of Expenses and Service Awards to Class Rep.. Motion set for 1/4/2021 before Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor. Unless otherwise directed by the Court, this motion will be decided on the papers and no appearances are required. Note that this is an automatically generated message from the Clerk`s Office and does not supersede any previous or subsequent orders from the Court. (bt, )
Appreciate 1
jojo753.00
      12-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #898
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Got some reimbursement paperwork in the mail for timing/oil pump failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #899
mike_MAN
Private
Rep

For people who haven't had failure, are we to do nothing?
The only forms to fill out are forms for reimbursement.
What can we do with this result?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #900
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_MAN View Post
Nothing. You're exactly right. To me, the choices were, ride it out as long as possible till it breaks, pay to have the timing chain update done preemptively, or take that money and trade it in for a better car.

I took the third option.
      12-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #901
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_MAN View Post
Nothing, like me, you've suffered no loss

Unless of course you count the loss of value of the vehicle since everyone in the auto business knows about this issue; and the fact that you can't trust the car to be able to drive it like you would.

Myself, I used to track my X1 but I will no longer risk doing this. I also do not trust it for anything other than local trips or commuting. We've taken it on some mountain trips in the past, but I do not have enough faith in the engine to do that anymore.
      12-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #902
mike_MAN
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Nothing, like me, you've suffered no loss

Unless of course you count the loss of value of the vehicle since everyone in the auto business knows about this issue; and the fact that you can't trust the car to be able to drive it like you would.

Myself, I used to track my X1 but I will no longer risk doing this. I also do not trust it for anything other than local trips or commuting. We've taken it on some mountain trips in the past, but I do not have enough faith in the engine to do that anymore.
EXACTLY!!!
I don't have enough faith in the engine to drive it how I want or to drive it at all. It's a second car, and only used if needed and used for long trips. No long trips since March and always used sparingly, but its not without caution or anxiety!
Such a shame because I do enjoy the car and all its features. Was thinking about selling and getting a 2016+ 28i or any 35i but the loss in value is a hard pill to swallow, not to mention the quest of finding one loaded with all the goodies.
Appreciate 0