F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

08-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #3983
propernorf
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propernorf View Post
Hello, there guys grat work you doing here. I have a question regarding the customer version. Will it work with The newer andream unites or is it not compatible;e.
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:11 AM   #3984
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by propernorf View Post
Anyone?
It will, but if you use it, you can not go back to the newer software, which means you are stuck with the custom firmware forever.

And therefore if updates for the older units (which the custom firmware is based on) stop, then you will no longer get updates for your new unit either.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #3985
LJT
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbz View Post
I'm really struggling with my Android not using Mobile data when connected to the MMI.
i have gone into settings on my phone and enabled "switch to mobile data" - use mobile data whenever your WI-FI internet is connection is slow or unstable.

this has not worked as when i am connected to the MMI wifi i am still offline and unable to stream or use maps correctly.
on my phone i also have no connection if i try search anything in google.
so no data is coming through at all.
if i disconnect the WIFI i get data perfectly over mobile network.

Samsung S10
Android 10

v2.0.0.B0.mod
20.6.2.0 (i never changed this from its original)

any help will be greatly appreciated
I was struggling with the same problem und I may have found a solution just today. I "forgot" the Andreams WiFi on my phone and connected manually to it over the WirelessProjection or something (don't know the correct name, second icon I guess, had to fill the 7x"8" as SSID-password). When I connected to it, I had a pop-up saying that this WiFi has no internet connection and I choose the option to switch to mobile data. I disconnected the WiFi and switched to AA. After a very short time, my phone showed the message with "no internet over WiFi" and I chose the option to activate mobile data again. I haven' tested it a lot but the last 3 times I checked, this worked. Maybe you can try it and give me feedback. Or perhaps another solution, if you find one
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #3986
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
The scroll wheel is backwards for everything in carplay with the bimmertech mcu.

The 20.6.2 mcu from andream / carlinkit works fine and the scroll wheel works the correct way in carplay.
so can we use that mcu with the latest custom firmware? i thought we could only use bt mcu with it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #3987
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
so can we use that mcu with the latest custom firmware? i thought we could only use bt mcu with it
Yes I am using the "normal" mcu with the latest custom fw.

But to flash that mcu now, you will have to update your unit to andream / carlinkit firmware first, then update the mcu then flash back to the custom firmware.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #3988
Furbz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Possible X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
I was struggling with the same problem und I may have found a solution just today. I "forgot" the Andreams WiFi on my phone and connected manually to it over the WirelessProjection or something (don't know the correct name, second icon I guess, had to fill the 7x"8" as SSID-password). When I connected to it, I had a pop-up saying that this WiFi has no internet connection and I choose the option to switch to mobile data. I disconnected the WiFi and switched to AA. After a very short time, my phone showed the message with "no internet over WiFi" and I chose the option to activate mobile data again. I haven' tested it a lot but the last 3 times I checked, this worked. Maybe you can try it and give me feedback. Or perhaps another solution, if you find one
gave it a whirl and it's a no go on my side.. damn.

i'm tempted to factory reset my phone - it has been a while and i find it often helps with these bugs.
maybe that will help.
i'll wait to see if someone else has a solution before i resort to resetting the phone fully. its such a nightmare setting everything back up again
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #3989
LJT
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:

i'm tempted to factory reset my phone - it has been a while and i find it often helps with these bugs.
maybe that will help.
i'll wait to see if someone else has a solution before i resort to resetting the phone fully. its such a nightmare setting everything back up again
Ah damn...
Yeah factory reset is a real pain. But it often helps. Another tip i read was, that you could look into Androids (OS) App settings and deactivate the option for AA to use WiFi-Data.

And just beacause I'm curious: Did you not get the dialogue to choose mobile data when connecting to AA or did you not get to activate mobile data despite choosing so in the dialogue?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #3990
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

Quote:

maybe that will help.
Have you tried setting "Mobile data always on" in Developer Options on your phone?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #3991
Furbz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Possible X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
Ah damn...
Yeah factory reset is a real pain. But it often helps. Another tip i read was, that you could look into Androids (OS) App settings and deactivate the option for AA to use WiFi-Data.

And just beacause I'm curious: Did you not get the dialogue to choose mobile data when connecting to AA or did you not get to activate mobile data despite choosing so in the dialogue?
i did. although mine was a little different.
mine came up saying it will use Mobile data as this wifi does not have a internet connection. and gave me the path to turn it off if i wanted.
still no luck though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws199 View Post
Have you tried setting "Mobile data always on" in Developer Options on your phone?
yep, even that did not work...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #3992
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARR601 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjattard View Post
just a quick observation I had set my wifi channel to 6 on the new software - like I did with the Andream software and the performance on the new software was not usable - 1-2 second lag for control movements to update on the screen - i changed the value to 36 and its as smooth as an otter again.

Perhaps something sorted itself under the reboot - but if anyone is having performance issues on the custom firmware do try changing the wifi channel.
Had frequent disconnections on 6. Changed to 36, been fine ever since.
I always get the best performance using ch 149.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #3993
yulian
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Yep, it's an AA thing not caused by the mmi or sw. Try clearing cache and data from the AA, Google, and Google Play Services apps.
Thank you! Cleaning cache, rebooting and disabling day/night switch in AA developer mode helped to get back cursor in AA. Maybe this one should go to FAQ?

And my new question to get perfection)))

Maybe someone have MCU 19.12.12 for Bimmertech firmware? I want to try it with v2.0.0.B0.mod because only this MCU makes button "back" working and bringing me back to NBT menu. Have tried andream MCU's even with renaming to fool bimmertech firmware but it doesn't want to flash.

P.S. Have tried all flashable bimmertech MCU's from first page - no luck. (

Last edited by yulian; 08-05-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #3994
yulian
Private
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berman95 View Post
Were you able to fix the menu switching issue? I have two separate carlink units and nothing I try will get the menu or back button working to switch to the NBT menus. Regardless of the setting in the menus for the back button I have no way to switch between the carlink and the NBT menus.

Try MCU 19.12.12 it works for me but only with "original" carlinkit firmware versions.

Last edited by yulian; 08-05-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #3995
MrSeabass
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeabass View Post
Hey, I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these MMI add-ons, and I've read through the thread quite a bit, but I want to make sure I've got all the answers I need before making my decision. Vehicle is a 2013 X3 F25 35i, manufacture date 04/2012 with 103K miles, CIC system 8.8", rear and side mirror cameras. MMI device I plan on ordering is a RoadTop model from Amazon, AA usage only.

1. Will there be any issue with the top/overhead parking view, or the side mirror cameras regardless? All documentation I've seen so far only mention front and rear cameras, but nothing about side mirror cameras.

2. Is the additional(?) USB female cable required for install? Can the USB port inside the center console be used for any and all MMI USB connection/functionality? Likewise, am I going to need to run a 3.5mm cable to the aux port in the center console?

3. Do I need to be concerned about any 'widescreen' issues, based on my 8.8" screen size?

4. Is there any additional storage provided by the MMI unit/impacting the CIC storage space? I am researching swapping out the HDD for a possible SD-to-IDE adapter upgrade or similar in the future.

5. *Purely an opinion*, but is there any incentive to spend the extra money on a complete touchscreen replacement android auto upgrade vs just the MMI addition? Is the software/hardware/support for one type of upgrade more stable than the other?

That's all I can think of for now, thanks!
I take it these have been answered before and I didn't do enough searching...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #3996
evilFive
Rep
Drives: i3

Man all these widescreen issues, factory phone resets and Developer setting tweaks really makes me appreciate my iPhone 😀.
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #3997
evilFive
Rep
Drives: i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeabass View Post
I take it these have been answered before and I didn't do enough searching...
You're right , but I'll do my best to answer a few of them though.

Quote:
1. Will there be any issue with the top/overhead parking view, or the side mirror cameras regardless? All documentation I've seen so far only mention front and rear cameras, but nothing about side mirror cameras.
I don't have those options so it's tough to say but if you access those cameras via the PDC you'll be fine. The box will automatically switch to the PDC menu in reverse or if you set your front PDC to enable it as well. From there I would assume you could activate whatever other cameras you have. I can manually push the PDC button and it will switch from CarPlay to PDC and when you press the button to deactivate it goes right back to CarPlay so I think you're good there.

Quote:
2. Is the additional(?) USB female cable required for install? Can the USB port inside the center console be used for any and all MMI USB connection/functionality? Likewise, am I going to need to run a 3.5mm cable to the aux port in the center console?
It is required to use for updating or wired CarPlay. Some have been able to replace the USB in the center console but it will not just work with the existing USB in the center console.

You will not need to run a 3.5mm cable to the Aux port but you will need to set your car to Aux to hear the audio.

Quote:
3. Do I need to be concerned about any 'widescreen' issues, based on my 8.8" screen size?
Are you on Android or iPhone? iPhone, no, Android yesish. Use the custom firmware and you should enjoy the same benefits the Apple people get out of the box .

Quote:
4. Is there any additional storage provided by the MMI unit/impacting the CIC storage space? I am researching swapping out the HDD for a possible SD-to-IDE adapter upgrade or similar in the future.
No. This unit provides for a wireless GUI of your phone instead of the factory infotainment system. You will use apps on your phone or stored music on your phone to play music. So if your phone has 256GB of storage you've now upgraded your car's capacity to 256GB plus all the streaming services.

Quote:
5. *Purely an opinion*, but is there any incentive to spend the extra money on a complete touchscreen replacement android auto upgrade vs just the MMI addition? Is the software/hardware/support for one type of upgrade more stable than the other?
I don't think there is a benefit but everyone has to decide for themselves. I like the almost factory like integration with the iDrive controller.
Appreciate 3
      08-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #3998
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluzbet View Post
Just got my box and finished the install on a f15, looks like I have the new version just need to uodate tomorrow, I feel it sluggish at times is it like that?
Updating to the latest mcu should resolve that. Also, try wifi channel 149.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #3999
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulian View Post
Thank you! Cleaning cache, rebooting and disabling day/night switch in AA developer mode helped to get back cursor in AA. Maybe this one should go to FAQ?

And my new question to get perfection)))

Maybe someone have MCU 19.12.12 for Bimmertech firmware? I want to try it with v2.0.0.B0.mod because only this MCU makes button "back" working and bringing me back to NBT menu. Have tried andream MCU's even with renaming to fool bimmertech firmware but it doesn't want to flash.

P.S. Have tried all flashable bimmertech MCU's from first page - no luck. (
Holding down the Menu button for a couple of seconds doesn't take you back to iDrive?

It does for me on my Carlinkit unit using either the latest Carlinkit/Andream mcu or Bimmertech's latest mcu.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #4000
yulian
Private
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Holding down the Menu button for a couple of seconds doesn't take you back to iDrive?

It does for me on my Carlinkit unit using either the latest Carlinkit/Andream mcu or Bimmertech's latest mcu.
Sadly but no. Only revert to MCU 19.12.12 with any Carlinkit firmware makes it working via 2 sec hold "back" and "menu". Sadly bimmertech 2.0 custom does not support old MCU's. Maybe it's because I have updated all BMW firmware with local dealer recently and I have newer version somewhere, I don't know...

Last edited by yulian; 08-05-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #4001
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frviana View Post
Is there a way to have AA not changing to Night mode when lights turns on? I don't like the dark mode. Running Custom 2 btw.
in AA settings, under dev options you can do it yourself i believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #4002
HeatGun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i N55

I used to be able to answer and end calls by pressing the "phone" button on the steering wheel, I lost that feature with the latest update plus voice command button used to allow me to control Siri. no longer working.
Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #4003
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatGun View Post
I used to be able to answer and end calls by pressing the "phone" button on the steering wheel, I lost that feature with the latest update plus voice command button used to allow me to control Siri. no longer working.
Any idea?
Latest update of what? And which versions? What car?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #4004
HeatGun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
Latest update of what? And which versions? What car?
Sorry for not being clear.
I own 2014 X5.
Previous MCU version which worked fine with buttons was: 20.5.9.10 and now the version I have is 20.6.2 which fixed other various issues with unit except the new issue is the existing buttons.
Appreciate 0