F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Recommendations for key fob cover?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #23
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

I got this one (I have an M Sport) and I am very satisfied with it. Basically it is a tight fitting rubber sleeve/pouch in which you put the key fob and a quite heavy metal frame, which consists of two halves that are screwed together. It is a very exact fit and makes the fob looks and feel a lot more premium because of added weight and touchy temperature. You have to press the buttons quite hard as they are under a thick layer of rubber. Had mine for a couple of months now and it's holding up very well. Just a few minor scratches and that's because I sometimes have it in the same pocket as my home keys.

I did remove the weird round thing on the hanger and replaced it with an epoxy round M-Sport badge. First I put an epoxy BMW roundel but that did not look good with the closing button being an emblem already.

You can find these all over Chinese websites, ebay etc. Feels like very good value for money.
Attached Images

Last edited by MidtownMike; 12-21-2021 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #24
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMike View Post
I got this one (I have an M Sport) and I am very satisfied with it. Basically it is a tight fitting rubber sleeve/pouch in which you put the key fob and a quite heavy metal frame, which consists of two halves that are screwed together. It is a very exact fit and makes the fob looks and feel a lot more premium because of added weight and touchy temperature. You have to press the buttons quite hard as they are under a thick layer of rubber. Had mine for a couple of months now and it's holding up very well. Just a few minor scratches and that's because I sometimes have it in the same pocket as my home keys.

I did remove the weird round thing on the hanger and replaced it with an epoxy round M-Sport badge. First I put an epoxy BMW roundel but that did not look good with the closing button being an emblem already.

You can find these all over Chinese websites, ebay etc. Feels like very good value for money.
you beat me to this post, lol, i was gonna post the same thing as i bought this exact same key fob case

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002673588496.html
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:14 PM   #25
asomer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:

Anyone know how to remove the roundel logo on this key? I called my local dealer, the Parts Dept & the guy there said he didn't know these could be removed on any BMW keys, even though the replacement logo is a genuine OEM part. So, either I figure this out on my own or I'm s*** outta luck

Btw, I'm getting this cover from Etsy. Totally handmade & can be custom made, wth any accents or no accents & personalization
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #26
asomer
United_States
Rep

Have you guys seen the Auto Addictz key fob covers? I know they make an aluminum one for the blade keys, but I think they might also make this for the F series gen of keys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #27
gameson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomer View Post
Anyone know how to remove the roundel logo on this key? I called my local dealer, the Parts Dept & the guy there said he didn't know these could be removed on any BMW keys, even though the replacement logo is a genuine OEM part. So, either I figure this out on my own or I'm s*** outta luck

Btw, I'm getting this cover from Etsy. Totally handmade & can be custom made, wth any accents or no accents & personalization
Your fob is banged up, just buy a new fob cover and remove the electronics and blade key to new fob housing
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 06:35 PM   #28
asomer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Your fob is banged up, just buy a new fob cover and remove the electronics and blade key to new fob housing
I've got the replacement roundel thingy, just wanna know can I remove the roundel that's on there now like all the past keys? Or, just put it on top of the banged up logo because the roundel on these keys isn't able to come off?

I saw another guy in a X5 thread say he got his roundel off, his key was like mine, but it had the black plastic buttons with the metal trim on the sides. My key is the key has all aluminum trim & buttons (dunno if it's built differently & you're not able to change out buttons/logo on it?)

And yes, I went ahead & ordered the black leather key cover with the M thread accent on the side. That should be in next week
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #29
gameson
Captain
Rep

I don’t know but if my key fob is that banged up (not just the roundel, but overall fob), i would just buy a brand new housing, transfer the alarm electronics and the blade key to the new housing, and done with it.

Not sure why you want to make your life so difficult by pulling out the roundels when there is an easy way to replace the whole housing…
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:37 PM   #30
asomer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
I don’t know but if my key fob is that banged up (not just the roundel, but overall fob), i would just buy a brand new housing, transfer the alarm electronics and the blade key to the new housing, and done with it.

Not sure why you want to make your life so difficult by pulling out the roundels when there is an easy way to replace the whole housing…
I didn't know buying the housing was an option, but yea I'd be into that. I thought going that route pretty much meant shelling out $500+ at the dealer for a new key.

Is transferring the guts of the key to a new housing complicated? This is the 1st I've heard of this. I know all about changing out the battery & the roundel...didn't know you could swap out the guts (I've heard to steer clear of the cheap "replacement keys" on eBay, etc because they're not programed for your car. There was never any further discussion of buying a replacement key & just swapping out the guts.)

Is eBay the place to find a replacement housing, or are these mass produced & sold elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #31
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
If my keyfob was banged up, I’d just go about my day as long as it worked.
I can’t remember the last time I actually touched a button. Comfort access is a wonderful thing. It goes in my pocket at the beginning of the day and comes out at the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #32
asomer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
If my keyfob was banged up, I’d just go about my day as long as it worked.
I can’t remember the last time I actually touched a button. Comfort access is a wonderful thing. It goes in my pocket at the beginning of the day and comes out at the end.

Lol, agreed! I hardly ever *use* the key...well, I use it to get into my trunk because for the life of me I CANNOT get my trunk to open using my foot (and yes, I've tried all the tricks mentioned & it's not valet locked - I double checked that today.)

Maybe it's because I'm a woman, LOL...I use a Louis Vuitton coin case/key chain for all my keys, including the car key. I just hate how the logo was worn down the bare metal & now it looks doubly worse because of my efforts trying to pry it off like was possible on previous BMW keys.

I've got a nice black leather with M stitching fob cover coming, so I'll most likely just put the replacement key fob logo over the scratched up logo. Since this key is the full metal version, I'm leaning towards the logos on these keys not being removable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 11:08 PM   #33
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Goodness you guys carrying knives in your pocket? I've always used those carabiner clips and just clip them to my jeans.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 11:49 PM   #34
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

The genuine BMW F30 key fob cover is cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 02:36 AM   #35
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal View Post
Goodness you guys carrying knives in your pocket? I've always used those carabiner clips and just clip them to my jeans.
Cool, man. You also have a belt holster for your phone?
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8275.50
      12-22-2021, 02:41 AM   #36
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I actually got these cheapo covers for my f33 and f39 so the buttons wouldn’t get pushed by other stuff in my pocket.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 07:58 AM   #37
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Comfort access is a wonderful thing. It goes in my pocket at the beginning of the day and comes out at the end.
I don't have CA, but my fob still stays in my pocket. It took maybe a week for me to know which button was which by feel alone without having to look at the fob.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #38
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Cool, man. You also have a belt holster for your phone?
Of course plus a fanny pack
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8275.50
      12-23-2021, 03:03 AM   #39
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

There's a TSB about setting the remote trunk release so it doesn't work unless the car is unlocked. I took it to the dealer and they did it for no charge under warranty. I couldn't figure out how to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 04:42 AM   #40
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Used a rubber band for a couple weeks to help the Nappa leather form to the key.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:27 AM   #41
asomer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
There's a TSB about setting the remote trunk release so it doesn't work unless the car is unlocked. I took it to the dealer and they did it for no charge under warranty. I couldn't figure out how to do it myself.

Sorry, TSB?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:28 AM   #42
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asomer View Post
Quote:

Sorry, TSB?
Technical Service Bulletin
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:57 AM   #43
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I don't want to take my car near a dealer for fear that they will upgrade my car's software which will wipeout my tune and force me to have the DME bench unlocked.

To solve the trunk opening issue, I used BimmerCode to set my trunk not to open unless I'm in range and hold down the trunk unlock button for 10 seconds.

I also used one of these leather key protectors. It really prevents the key wear and tear that has been a problem with my other cars. It helps prevent keys from being accidentally pressed in my pocket.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #44
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I don't want to take my car near a dealer for fear that they will upgrade my car's software which will wipeout my tune and force me to have the DME bench unlocked.
It also will wipe any coding you've done and remove some coding options, like the number of turn signal blinks with a half swipe of the turn signal stalk. I passed on two years of prepaid (there's no such thing as free) maintenance so they couldn't screw up my coding.
Appreciate 1
johnung4535.50