F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Custom Exhaust Setups
ARMA SPEED

10-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

B58 Custom Exhaust Setups

I know there are some very decent offerings out there for our car, but i'm curious if anyone has gone through with having a shop build a custom catback system? What's your overall impression, what was the cost.etc?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

In terms of power, completely pointless unless changing the down pipe.

Your stock mid-pipe has 2 resonators that can be cut out for increased sound but other than a muffler / muffler delete you are just changing the tone.

12.3 @ 108 Stock
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

You need a proper exhaust system for it to sound good. Look into Remus.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
Good is very subjective. Some people love their exhaust and I would hate it (way too loud) other people love pops&bangs or ......
So the real reason to go custom is that none of the exhaust on the market are what you are looking for. Custom can be extremely cheap (resonator delete or muffler delete ) or extremely expensive (valved system & lots of trial and error until it is "perfect").
Best experienced in person than through forum opinions.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Good is very subjective. Some people love their exhaust and I would hate it (way too loud) other people love pops&bangs or ......
So the real reason to go custom is that none of the exhaust on the market are what you are looking for. Custom can be extremely cheap (resonator delete or muffler delete ) or extremely expensive (valved system & lots of trial and error until it is "perfect").
Best experienced in person than through forum opinions.
very well said, sir.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's definitely fair.

I've already got a CG Precision DS-1 Downpipe, but I'm wanting to give the car a bit more of a tone change over the factory exhaust. I've tried finding M Performance Exhaust used as I feel it would get me pretty close, but I wasn't sure if anyone had done something like built custom catback using borla, hks, or different muffler and what their impression was.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:20 AM   #7
estorilbluef36
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahanix View Post
That's definitely fair.

I've already got a CG Precision DS-1 Downpipe, but I'm wanting to give the car a bit more of a tone change over the factory exhaust. I've tried finding M Performance Exhaust used as I feel it would get me pretty close, but I wasn't sure if anyone had done something like built custom catback using borla, hks, or different muffler and what their impression was.
i have a 440 with M performance axle back , custom dual resonator delete , and ER catless downpipe. i have heard many setups on the B58 and this is by far my favorite sound. however , it is pretty loud especially on WOT. I also ran the same setup with a CG precision catted downpipe. sounded good but i needed that 15% increase from the catless downpipe for the perfect sounding exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
What qualifies as a "proper" exhaust system? Literally anything on the market can be replicated for a fraction of the price. I can't believe we have bent straight pipes being sold for $500+. The Fabspeed muffler delete is $900! Just because it has a brand name doesn't make it better.

OP, I got a muffler delete done for $200. It's it's louder but maintains the stock deep exhaust note. If you want a more throaty/raspy tone, I'd recommend removing the resonators in the midpipe instead. That can also be done for fairly cheap. Then if you still want it to be louder, get an aftermarket muffler and have that swapped as well.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
What qualifies as a "proper" exhaust system? Literally anything on the market can be replicated for a fraction of the price. I can't believe we have bent straight pipes being sold for $500+. The Fabspeed muffler delete is $900! Just because it has a brand name doesn't make it better.

OP, I got a muffler delete done for $200. It's it's louder but maintains the stock deep exhaust note. If you want a more throaty/raspy tone, I'd recommend removing the resonators in the midpipe instead. That can also be done for fairly cheap. Then if you still want it to be louder, get an aftermarket muffler and have that swapped as well.
You forgot an important issue that is on certain people's mind "if I buy aftermarket I can sell the parts and turn it back to stock easy when my lease ends".
But in general I agree that with resonator/muffler delete (or replacement with smaller units) a lot can be achieved if one has a good shop (which makes sure the result s close to what was envisioned)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:59 AM   #10
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
You forgot an important issue that is on certain people's mind "if I buy aftermarket I can sell the parts and turn it back to stock easy when my lease ends".
But in general I agree that with resonator/muffler delete (or replacement with smaller units) a lot can be achieved if one has a good shop (which makes sure the result s close to what was envisioned)
even with a midpipe, you have to cut up the exhaust our exhausts just aren't modular from the factory. unless you buy an entire catback, and have a minivan to bring it home, there's no way to keep it in tact.

but really i was responding to the comment that a custom system won't sound good. i can respect the desire to keep the stock exhaust for later.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
even with a midpipe, you have to cut up the exhaust our exhausts just aren't modular from the factory. unless you buy an entire catback, and have a minivan to bring it home, there's no way to keep it in tact.

but really i was responding to the comment that a custom system won't sound good. i can respect the desire to keep the stock exhaust for later.
That sounds good, I’ll just keep my eye out for a used AWE system. Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

With a catless downpipe, resonator deletes, mpe muffler and electric cutout the car sounds fantastic. Very loud with good tone while the cutout is open. Nearly stock sound with good tone while it's closed.

Had a local shop do my mid pipe. Aluminized steel piping (imo SS is a waste) cost me 150 bucks. Would do it again.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #13
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340iX (6MT) - X3///M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahanix View Post
I know there are some very decent offerings out there for our car, but i'm curious if anyone has gone through with having a shop build a custom catback system? What's your overall impression, what was the cost.etc?

Thanks,
Depends on what your end goal is . I found the B58 sounds great from the factory but only if you’re outside the car. I was looking for extra sound, no drone, & reverse compatibility. Which is why I chose to go with the DINAN mid-pipes and kept the DP and muffler factory. – On cold starts is significantly louder than stock, but within 30 seconds it’s back to stocks idle decibels.

In Sport & Sport+ modes it sounds fantastic on acceleration and in my opinion gets just the right amount of burbles, pops & cracks on the overrun. (IMO how the car should have come from factory)
In Comfort mode, you wouldn’t even know it’s installed unless you really paid attention to the subtle difference in tone.

If I decided one day I wanted to “turn up the volume” I’d look to pair the mid-pipe with a compatible axle back muffler. – however I don’t know how I’d feel about loosing the flexibility of not having an OE valved system.

I read some people are saying SS is a waste, I would disagree seeing that I think it depends on your climate conditions. – Cheaper metals tend to be more prone to corrosion, which may end up costing you in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Quote:

It's still reversible, if you keep the parts, they can be welded back in pretty cheap too. So I wouldn't see that as a huge argument against going custom.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, generally I was asking as I finally installed the CG DS-1 and volume wise the catted DP + Stock exhaust is more than loud enough for me. I just want a different / more refined note but maybe that’s asking for something unrealistic, or maybe the MPE will cover that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #16
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I have a remus exhaust available. Contact me if you need one.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

+1 for Remus. It'll be louder than what you got now but sounds awesome. Deeper tone than the stock muffler. I just did this on my car. It's a m240i but same engine.

Dinan intake, CG Precision DP, Dinan Midpipe, Remus Axleback

Appreciate 2