F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > BBS SR Without Hub Centric Ring
GetBMWParts

10-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
250gtcalifornia
Rep
Drives: 440i

BBS SR Without Hub Centric Ring

I went to a tire shop and they installed my BBS SR without the PFS package (Rings, clips, lug bolts). I noticed I still had my OEM bolts in the car, but I had already driven home and they're closed now.

I called the tire shop and the rep over the phone said the ring is only used for having comfortable rides. Which I doubted, but I didn't want to argue with him.

Will its be okay to drive back to the shop when they open tomorrow or do I need to have it towed there? I've left my car parked on the driveway resting on the OEM lug bolts since yesterday afternoon when I drove back from the shop.

I read the centre bore for the BBS was 82mm, yet the car is using a 72.6 mm.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

the centering rings help to minimize vibration by centering the wheel correctly on the hub. The oem bolts are just fine but it is possible that the wheel is not exactly centered. It is absolutely necessary to run hubcentric rings to minimize issues.
      10-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250gtcalifornia View Post
I went to a tire shop and they installed my BBS SR without the PFS package (Rings, clips, lug bolts). I noticed I still had my OEM bolts in the car, but I had already driven home and they're closed now.

I called the tire shop and the rep over the phone said the ring is only used for having comfortable rides. Which I doubted, but I didn't want to argue with him.

Will its be okay to drive back to the shop when they open tomorrow or do I need to have it towed there? I've left my car parked on the driveway resting on the OEM lug bolts since yesterday afternoon when I drove back from the shop.

I read the centre bore for the BBS was 82mm, yet the car is using a 72.6 mm.
Better go back get the rings installed...82mm is a big difference and vibration will occur soon. The oem lug bolt is okay as long as you don't use spacers

They actually said for comfortable ride ...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
250gtcalifornia
Rep
Drives: 440i

Thank you for the responses.

Yeah, I can't believe they let me drive home without the centring ring. I was shocked at the difference between the CB measurements. I just hope the lug bolts don't fall off on the drive there.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
the centering rings help to minimize vibration by centering the wheel correctly on the hub. The oem bolts are just fine but it is possible that the wheel is not exactly centered. It is absolutely necessary to run hubcentric rings to minimize issues.
This, and the weight is not distributed properly. With space between the lip of the hub and the wheel, the lug bolts are seeing a lot more stress.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
switchman8
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i

Alot of guys in tire shops know less than tire/wheel enthusiasts do, considering they just come off the street with no real training.