F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 Rear Park Distance Control (PDC) Retrofit
GetBMWParts

04-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #133
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
How close is the white color of your PDC to alpine white?
just fyi...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #134
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 AW F30 335i M-Sport MT

Ahh, I hating doing this but I figure I give it a shot in case someone has ran into the same issue as me and might know what is going on. So I ended up buying a new REM and P# 61359329700 was replaced by BMW by P# 61359362394 and the dealer sent me the new one. I figured it should work. I installed the new REM today and tried to inject cafd into REM but with the current i-step level of 14-07-503 I could not read SWE. Oh, before I even tried to inject any files I decided to scan the car with Rheingold and see what errors were there. I had 5 extra errors which 4 them were about voltage supply and no auto close up function to rear windows. Clearing did not work and the auto-up really did not work from driver's button or rear door buttons. I figured it should go away ones I inject cafd but ones I tried to read SWE I would get the message "Could not read CAFDs from SWE. BTW this is on psdzdata 53.4. So I figured I will just get the new psdzdata 55.1. With the new psdzdata I was able to read from SWE but my i-step level was not available so I picked the latest to inject into REM. Injecting the file worked and I coded off bulb checking off. I scanned the car and same errors were there and auto up still didnt work. I also changed my psdzdata to 54.1 without the trimmed cafd files and downgraded the i-step level on REM but that didnt fix the issue. So finally I gave up and returned to my original REM. I am hoping this can be fixed otherwise I have a $200 paperweight REM that I can't return and I will have to look for a used 700 model. Any insights or suggest are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #135
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30GTR View Post
Ahh, I hating doing this but I figure I give it a shot in case someone has ran into the same issue as me and might know what is going on. So I ended up buying a new REM and P# 61359329700 was replaced by BMW by P# 61359362394 and the dealer sent me the new one. I figured it should work. I installed the new REM today and tried to inject cafd into REM but with the current i-step level of 14-07-503 I could not read SWE. Oh, before I even tried to inject any files I decided to scan the car with Rheingold and see what errors were there. I had 5 extra errors which 4 them were about voltage supply and no auto close up function to rear windows. Clearing did not work and the auto-up really did not work from driver's button or rear door buttons. I figured it should go away ones I inject cafd but ones I tried to read SWE I would get the message "Could not read CAFDs from SWE. BTW this is on psdzdata 53.4. So I figured I will just get the new psdzdata 55.1. With the new psdzdata I was able to read from SWE but my i-step level was not available so I picked the latest to inject into REM. Injecting the file worked and I coded off bulb checking off. I scanned the car and same errors were there and auto up still didnt work. I also changed my psdzdata to 54.1 without the trimmed cafd files and downgraded the i-step level on REM but that didnt fix the issue. So finally I gave up and returned to my original REM. I am hoping this can be fixed otherwise I have a $200 paperweight REM that I can't return and I will have to look for a used 700 model. Any insights or suggest are appreciated.
Auto up windows will have to be re initialized in Rheingold before they will work again. As for the specific errors, which ones are they?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #136
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Auto up windows will have to be re initialized in Rheingold before they will work again. As for the specific errors, which ones are they?
Codes are 030115, 030120, 030195 and 0301A0. Roxxor, do you know get the windows initialized? I found some instructions but holding the button for a minute doesnt work also I am missing "initialize power window regulator" when i drill down into service functions.
Attached Images

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-17-2015 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #137
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Codes are 030115, 030120, 030195 and 0301A0. Roxxor, do you know get the windows initialized? I found some instructions but holding the button for a minute doesnt work also I am missing "initialize power window regulator" when i drill down into service functions.
had the same error.
reinitialize the window with reihngold and it will go away and auto up will work again
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #138
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Go to activities
Service function
body
locking and security functions
power window regulator
initialize power window regulator
follow the prompts
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #139
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
Go to activities
Service function
body
locking and security functions
power window regulator
initialize power window regulator
follow the prompts
Thanks guys. Maybe I need to update to 3.46.30 from .20 because that option was not there. I'll update tomorrow and try again.

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-17-2015 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #140
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Just another data point here...

I was telling f30GTR that I was having rear-window issues as well after the REM swap (not going up when using driver window controls). I thought my driver window control unit went bad (it had been acting flaky intermittently after my bavsound speaker install after I had man-handled it trying to get it out)

A few days after injecting the new CAFD using SWE to code the new 700 REM, I just happened to try the rear windows again from the driver control module and it worked. I didn't even tie that back to the coding of the REM until f30GTR brought it up. I thought it was just an intermittent driver control module. But it works great now.

Incidentally, I didn't have to use Rheingold to re-initialize to get it to work. Does he have to do that because he coded his REM with a CAFD that was not his original/exact I-Step?

I've always wondered about the safety of doing a CAFD inject with a version that is LATER than the I-Step level of your car. Having to re-initialize a bunch of stuff would be a good reason to try to avoid using a later I-Step if possible...

Last edited by squidlyboy; 04-18-2015 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #141
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Woot, I am happy to report that I was able to initialize my rear windows and fault codes are gone, or most of them. Kombi error still there but worry about at another time. My headlights errors is there but I am sure that is because I raised my headlights too high Next moving onto removing bumper and all the fun stuff. Thanks for the helps guys. This community rocks.

squidlyboy, good thing you didnt have to do anything because I started getting worried about the module not working. I already painted my sensor and bought my drill bits. I was ready to go and getting stuck at REM didnt make me very happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #142
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
My headlights errors is there but I am sure that is because I raised my headlights too high
I don't think that would cause the error about the light control... By any chance did you swap your headlight switch in the car with a euro one to enable rear fogs? That's what I had done, and it was fine until I did my xenon retrofit, now I get that error. I'm thinking it's because the euro switch I got was for halogen headlights, not xenon.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #143
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't think that would cause the error about the light control... By any chance did you swap your headlight switch in the car with a euro one to enable rear fogs? That's what I had done, and it was fine until I did my xenon retrofit, now I get that error. I'm thinking it's because the euro switch I got was for halogen headlights, not xenon.
No new switch, although I do have fog light coded on. After I finish the PDC I will lower the headlights and recheck for codes. Then I will code off rear fog lights and recheck. It has to be one of those 2. What suck is that you don't get a whole lot of information out of Rheingold. It simply says check voltage if that is ok then replace switch. Is there VO for rear fog lights? Maybe coding them on without VO is the problem. Maybe Compare Euro VIN vs US VIN?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #144
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Roxxor,

Funny that you mention the Euro light switch. Some time ago, I swapped out for Euro light switch and coded left rear fog light (like most European cars do). One of my earlier challenges with the dealer was that with that switch he was getting several errors so I put original back in until I get my stuff done.

BTW, dealer claimed (mistakenly) that the light switch stores info on the car

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #145
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Woot, I am happy to report that I was able to initialize my rear windows and fault codes are gone, or most of them. Kombi error still there but worry about at another time. My headlights errors is there but I am sure that is because I raised my headlights too high Next moving onto removing bumper and all the fun stuff. Thanks for the helps guys. This community rocks.

squidlyboy, good thing you didnt have to do anything because I started getting worried about the module not working. I already painted my sensor and bought my drill bits. I was ready to go and getting stuck at REM didnt make me very happy.
Nice! I'm glad it got resolved. So Rheingold re-initialization of the windows was the trick. This is the first time I've heard of having to re-initialize hardware, especially rear window up/down functionality??? I can maybe see camera/sensor calibration or something along those lines, but windows? wtf...

But besides that, what did you end up going with: later i-step cafd with psdzdata 55.1 or earlier i-step cafd with psdzdata 54.1 ...

odd you weren't able to find your exact i-step level CAFD available.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #146
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys, I take the sensors' connectors need to be facing up?

I ended up using 54.1 since it's not trimmed and it works.

I think the initialization is because of the pinch safety function. If the windows didn't have auto up I doubt we have to initialize the motors.

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-18-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #147
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're the second one to mention installing these sensors in a specific direction. I don't know why it would matter.

Roxxor mentioned in his original DIY that the sensors connector ends should be facing away from the bumper center, but he didn't say why. I can see if there were obstruction issues, but it seems like the back of the bumper is pretty free and clear. It doesn't make any sense to me
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #148
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I ended up using 54.1 since it's not trimmed and it works.

I think the initialization is because of the pinch safety function. If the windows didn't have auto up I doubt we have to initialize the motors.
mine face sideways
my bumoer came with holes and mounts predrilled and installed so im assuming its correct
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #149
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
You're the second one to mention installing these sensors in a specific direction. I don't know why it would matter.

Roxxor mentioned in his original DIY that the sensors connector ends should be facing away from the bumper center, but he didn't say why. I can see if there were obstruction issues, but it seems like the back of the bumper is pretty free and clear. It doesn't make any sense to me
Crap, I placed them facing up. I guess I should have read the first post again. The sensor are working fine though. Maybe only the bmw ones need to facing that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #150
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Crap, I placed them facing up. I guess I should have read the first post again. The sensor are working fine though. Maybe only the bmw ones need to facing that way.
you seeing the excessive delay/lag with yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #151
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

On the oem msport front bumper I bought, the two outside sensors point towards center and the two inside point away from center.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #152
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you seeing the excessive delay/lag with yours?
Nope, there is very little lag. It's the same as the loaner I had last week.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #153
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazsta View Post
On the oem msport front bumper I bought, the two outside sensors point towards center and the two inside point away from center.
lolz... go figure

Quote:
Nope, there is very little lag. It's the same as the loaner I had last week.
I'm gonna point my sensors UPWARDS baby!!!!

Maybe these vatapro sensors are not as bad as originally thought. Still ... with OEM sensors running close to $200 a piece compared to $30 for the vatapros, you gotta expect some difference in performance - that's a pretty big price discrepancy. I may just go with a light single coat of paint like you did. Maybe it was the excessive sanding/repainting that 1lyfe did to them that caused some performance degradation...

Just got bad news from partsale saying that there was a delay at the factory and my pdc retrofit cables are gonna be at least another two weeks. dang it. getting tired of waiting already...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #154
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
lolz... go figure

I'm gonna point my sensors UPWARDS baby!!!!

Maybe these vatapro sensors are not as bad as originally thought. Still ... with OEM sensors running close to $200 a piece compared to $30 for the vatapros, you gotta expect some difference in performance - that's a pretty big price discrepancy. I may just go with a light single coat of paint like you did. Maybe it was the excessive sanding/repainting that 1lyfe did to them that caused some performance degradation...

Just got bad news from partsale saying that there was a delay at the factory and my pdc retrofit cables are gonna be at least another two weeks. dang it. getting tired of waiting already...
Yeah I did 2 very light coats. Just do one coat first and let it dry for couple hours and see if it matches your car. I wasn't happy with one coat so I did second coat and it matches perfectly. Regarding your pdc cable I just got the same email regarding my backup camera cable. It sucks. I was planning to get the backup camera done before I tackle comfort access. Btw I did order the handle and door harness and the antenna and connectors. Will try without the locking mechanism.
Appreciate 0