F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Collision Assist on the F30
Extreme Powerhouse

03-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

I have Collision Warning but don't have ACC. I set it on "early collision". It has two settings Early collision and Late collision. What is the purpose of setting it on late collision?TIA
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #24
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern
I have Collision Warning but don't have ACC. I set it on "early collision". It has two settings Early collision and Late collision. What is the purpose of setting it on late collision?TIA
cheers
vern
To prevent false alarms if you really like to tailgate or drive in dense city traffic.
      03-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #25
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by runofkings View Post
I don't believe that an F30 with the forward collision warning feature and no ACC will brake in the U.S. (even if a crash is unavoidable). Please let me know if you have any sources for U.S. spec cars which prove otherwise. Thanks!
No one said that cars without the option would, that's the point.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
runofkings
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i MSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
No one said that cars without the option would, that's the point.
Actually, the person I was responding to did say that option would brake: "...then it deploys the brakes to 'take the edge off' a collision."

And you also said it would brake at one point: "it will begin to brake for you so that you can take over."

But you don't seem to want to admit that you were wrong. I don't know why you're being so difficult.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
If you have ACC activated (as in cruise control set), it will brake at times quite hard to avoid a collision/ maintain the gap.

If ACC is not activated, but collision warning is, it warns of a hazardous situation, and pre loads the brakes, but doesn't activate them until it thinks a collision is unavoidable, then it deploys the brakes to 'take the edge off' a collision. It won't stop the car though.
Exactly, that is what I said from the start. It will brake, but not to a standstill...

I qoute the user manual
Quote:
Acute warning with braking function

Warning of the imminent danger of a collision
when the vehicle approaches another object at
a relatively high differential speed.
The acute warning prompts the driver to inter‐
vene and, if there is the danger of a collision, is
accompanied by a braking intervention.
The braking intervention is executed with lim‐
ited braking force and for a brief period only. The
intervention cannot bring the vehicle to a com‐
plete standstill.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #28
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Actually, the person I was responding to did say that option would brake: "...then it deploys the brakes to 'take the edge off' a collision."

And you also said it would brake at one point: "it will begin to brake for you so that you can take over."

But you don't seem to want to admit that you were wrong. I don't know why you're being so difficult.
Lol, you don't understand...

If you just have the Collision warning (as a stand alone option) it cannot brake (in any region).

If you HAVE the option Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go AND have the Collision warning activated it will brake!

User manual, page 117 (http://www.f30post.com/goodiesforyou...al_F30POST.pdf)

Quote:
Collision warning with
braking function

The concept

If the vehicle is equipped with Active Cruise
Control with Stop & Go, the collision warning is
controlled via the cruise control radar sensor.
The system issues a two-phase warning of a
danger of collision at speeds above approx.
10 mph/15 km/h. The time of these warnings
may vary depending on the current driving sit‐
uation.
The collision warning is available even if cruise
control has been deactivated.
Quote:
Acute warning with braking function

Warning of the imminent danger of a collision
when the vehicle approaches another object at
a relatively high differential speed.
The acute warning prompts the driver to inter‐
vene and, if there is the danger of a collision, is
accompanied by a braking intervention.
The braking intervention is executed with lim‐
ited braking force and for a brief period only. The
intervention cannot bring the vehicle to a com‐
plete standstill.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for posting a source! That is what I was looking for. You were correct initially!

But you do realize you've changed your position on whether the F30 brakes with the forward collision warning several times now.
  • First you said that it would brake (but not come to a standstill)
  • Then you said: "If you just have the collision warning as a stand alone option that uses the camera it won't [brake]."
  • Then, AGAIN, you said "No one said that cars without the option would [brake], that's the point."

Now, you're saying that it DOES brake again. Again, glad you've cleared it up, but I think you're partly at fault for the confusion here. Sheesh.
No, I haven't changed my opinion. There are two versions of the system. One that relies on a camera (for cars without the ACC option) that cannot brake and then there are cars with ACC that uses the radar sensor that can brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
runofkings
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i MSPORT

Quote:
Lol, you don't understand...

If you just have the Collision warning (as a stand alone option) it cannot brake (in any region).

If you HAVE the option Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go AND have the Collision warning activated it will brake!

User manual, page 117 (http://www.f30post.com/goodiesforyou...al_F30POST.pdf)
GOT IT! Thank you for providing the source. You were right! I think I was confused by the initial "two versions" description you provided. The owner's manual explains it clearly.

The car will do the following if the "Forward Collision Warning" feature is activated:
  • Brake and bring the car to a complete stop if ACC is activated.
  • Brake slightly if ACC is not activated (and DSC is activated, apparently).
  • NOT brake if ACC is not installed.
Does that sound like a good summary?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #31
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Yes!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #32
jacar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 AH3

When I ordered my AH3 the ACC/Stop & Go was not an option-anyone know does it come standard when the Collision Warning is ordered (this was the only one of these options showing).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #33
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacar View Post
When I ordered my AH3 the ACC/Stop & Go was not an option-anyone know does it come standard when the Collision Warning is ordered (this was the only one of these options showing).
Do you have M-sport?
In the US it is not available with M-sport, but it is on other markets. It does not come as standard with Collision warning, but if you order ACC Stop & Go you will get Collision warning by default.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #34
jacar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 AH3

No, it's a sport line...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #35
Hoo411
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport AW

Quote:
You select in the iDrive menus if you want it active or not and can chose between two distances. No need to do anything on each startup. It will be on by default if you want it too. There is a button to the left of the steering wheel too where you can switch it on/off.

It works great, the other day it braked before I could react when a cyclist cut in front of me. In traffic I mostly see the red warning light approaching traffic that is slowing down.

I have the active cruise with stop&go, so mine brakes. Otherwise you just get the warnings. So to answer your question - you don't have to do anything to activate collision warnings once you set it up the first time, but cruise control needs to be activated and set each time (obviously).
Rossifumi, I have ACC and would like to set it on by default. I looked through the iDrive menu this afternoon but could not find how to set it by default. Would you please tell me where to look? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #36
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Active Protection

Is this something we can enable by coding?

"If a crash was unavoidable, the system applies the vehicle’s brakes automatically and brings it to a standstill, without the driver needing to act. This reduces – or in an ideal case completely rules out– the probability of secondary or follow-on collisions and their consequences."

This is on the German website and talks about cars with either the camera or radar.
      01-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #37
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacar View Post

The ActiveHybrid does not support ACC/ stop-and-go. Presumably it has to do with validating the configuration of regenerative braking / electric-only drive mode and how those interact with the ACC brains.

I can imagine them bringing that functionality to a future model year, but currently you forego ACC if you get the ActiveHybrid.
      01-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #38
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

How about everyone just focusing on the road ahead and around you so you don't need the car to brake for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #39
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
How about everyone just focusing on the road ahead and around you so you don't need the car to brake for you?
Tell that to the guy that totaled my Audi and nearly killed my backseat passengers.

I would love for that in an ideal world but until then, i would appreciate the majority of vehicles on the road having collision avoidance
      01-14-2014, 03:59 AM   #40
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Tell that to the guy that totaled my Audi and nearly killed my backseat passengers.

I would love for that in an ideal world but until then, i would appreciate the majority of vehicles on the road having collision avoidance
Exactly!
I too think all new cars should have some sort of collision prevention, either active (with auto braking) or at least passive (just alerting the driver) AS STANDARD!
An accident happens so quick and with so many drivers on the road.. Some not paying attention, some fatigued, some distracted..
Actually its a bit irresponsible of manufacturers that the technology is there today but its mostly a quite expensive option.

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #41
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Kind of lame that the F30 doesn't come with Active emergency braking included. When i ordered mine I assumed it did as even my Mom's $28k Mazda CX-5 comes with active emergency braking at speeds below around 20mph.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #42
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo411 View Post
Rossifumi, I have ACC and would like to set it on by default. I looked through the iDrive menu this afternoon but could not find how to set it by default. Would you please tell me where to look? Thanks.
I can't remember what menu now, but can look tomorrow when I drive the car again if no one else replies.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #43
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
Kind of lame that the F30 doesn't come with Active emergency braking included. When i ordered mine I assumed it did as even my Mom's $28k Mazda CX-5 comes with active emergency braking at speeds below around 20mph.
A bit (or a lot) off topic, but what an amazing bike you got there!

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #44
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Thanks Math. Google "A BMW Motorcycle Story" to see my even more amazing bike. But enough of that. Back to the topic. My F31 is still being built in Germany and today is the first time I learned that our cars don't actually have active braking unless you pay for ACC. This is now the second thing that I think every BMW should have even in the base model. (The other is I think every BMW should offer at least the option for remote start when every cheap car seems to offer this very useful feature.)

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0