F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > DIY - F30 HID Light install for non Angel Eye 3 series 2012
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Deacon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

DIY - F30 HID Light install for non Angel Eye 3 series 2012

This is a DIY install of HID lights for the non Angel Eye Crowd.
I purchased my 2012 328i Sportline used with 14k miles, so I didn’t have the choice of adding the lighting package. My car did however come with premium package, heated seats, technology package. So the only thing I would have added would be the lighting package. Oh well that will be on my next 328. Ok so I looked around the net for a DIY install of HID’s for the F30 and did not find one. So I thought I would write one up to help those do this SIMPLE install. It really wasn’t that bad once I knew what I was doing.
So here goes.
You will need a flashlight, 1” spade drill bit, socket/ratchet, car jack, flat tip screw driver and some zip ties.

1) Remove front tires and secure vehicle with Jack stands.
2) Remove 6 screws holding plastic wheel well in place

3) Remove plastic door from wheel well to access low beam lights – high beam lights are accessed from under the hood. This is for a 2012 – not sure if this is different from other F30 models.

4) Now look through the window port and remove the black plastic wire cap that goes to the bulb- this simply pulls straight back – place this to the side.
5) This is the pain in the Arse part. Take a flat tip screwdriver and gently press the (3) metal tabs marked in the picture back one at a time, doesn’t take much and the light bulb will simply come out. Prior to putting the new bulbs in , you will want to take the same screw driver and pull the tabs back out so that they will catch the new bulb housing. NOT SURE WHICH IDIOT DESINGED THIS BUT , I WOULD HAVE CHOSEN THE INSERT AND TWIST TYPE BULBS. Ok once the bulbs are out sit aside and store in a safe place.

6) Now take a 1” spade bit and drill a large hole into the back of the plastic housing. This was super easy and simple. Place a piece of wood under the plastic housing. Even if you decide later to uninstall, I figure two of these housing shouldn’t be that much to replace. You could choose to bypass this step all together and just place the ballast inside of the light housing and it would fit without issues BUT I am assuming the ballast would give off some heat and I didn’t want to risk that in these expensive BMW housings.

7) Most of the hard work is done. Now, take your new bulbs and route thru the black plastic covers. *** remove clear plastic protectors prior to routing or you will have to take out and do again—ask me how I know - Should look like this. The rubber grommet will fit nicely in the black plastic housing and keep out moisture/rain. Look at picture.

8) Now plug the new HID bulb back into the light housing – Plug two wires from HID bulb to factory black plug that came off original bulbs. Refer to pic. This is the bulbs power source.

9) Now connect the ballast.
10) Test your lights now to make sure both power wires are connected properly, if no lights shine reverse the connections. DO this prior to putting everything back in its place.
11) Once tested and working and new smile is on your face. Pull the wires gently thru the rubber grommet as you are guiding the plastic housing back to its original position covering the light housing. Twist in place.

12) While holding the plastic wheel well cover back secure your ballast against the metal housing structure beneath your lights. I secured both ballast against a metal support structure using zip ties. I used 4 large zip ties per side. Difficult to capture on camera, but you can get an idea from my pics.

13) That’s it. Reinstall the 6 bolts and the plastic cover.

14) Take an extra few minutes to clean your wheel/tire since its off the car and place back on the car all nice and shiny.

Factory yellow bulbs

I installed the Xenon HID kit supplied from Underground Euros and the HID lights provide much more light output over stock. It really lights up the night. So far after having the lights for 2 weeks , I have yet to get flashed. Now it doesn’t have the cut off that factory Projection lights have ( such as on my previous Acura TL). But it’s a very nice upgrade over the stock yellow bulbs. The price of the bulbs shipped were $148.74
I did not want to spend $30+ dollars for bulbs that I was going to be disappointed in, so for the money I am satisfied.
When putting your high beams on, its hard to tell if your high beams are helping much because of the improved reach of the HID’s.

So Good luck to those who do this install, its not very difficult, maybe a little time consuming.
Of course this write up is just a courtesy guide, I take NO REPOSIBILITY FOR SCREW UPS THAT MIGHT HAPPEN.
Enjoy your new lights…..
Deacon

Last edited by Deacon; 07-17-2013 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

thank you very much for this!

i might hit you up with some questions when i do the same mod in the next couple weeks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
josb0513
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i Xdrive

This is an awesome DIY post. Really appreciate it.

I'm leasing my 2013 328i right now. Would doing this HID mod cause any warranty issues when I take the car in for maintenance services?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josb0513 View Post

I'm leasing my 2013 328i right now. Would doing this HID mod cause any warranty issues when I take the car in for maintenance services?
there is no concrete answer for this.

legally...a mod can only void your warranty if BMW can prove that specific mod is the cause of the issue.

for example....if your seat belt doesnt work...BMW cant deny your warranty because of the headlights......it has nothing to do with each other.

Getting the dealership to comply is another story...some are cool with it, some arent. however I dont think headlights are a big issue...unless you mess up something electrically
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just so you know what you are doing is very illegal. These headlights are not designed for HID lights and will cause excess amounts of light to shine upwards into oncoming drivers eyes. This is very serious because it can cause accidents .
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Deacon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josb0513 View Post

AS the other person posted - should have no problems with warranty. And of course when you turn the car back in , you can simply unplug the harness and reinstall the original bulbs. You could even buy the plastic covers and replace or just let the dealership deal with it..
      09-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Deacon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Just so you know what you are doing is very illegal. These headlights are not designed for HID lights and will cause excess amounts of light to shine upwards into oncoming drivers eyes. This is very serious because it can cause accidents .
FWIW - In the 2 months I have these installed. I have not had one person flash their lights at me. Of course havent been pulled over or harrased either.

But I will say this install was a major upgrade in enhanced lighting. I can now see much better at night..not just far ahead but out to the sides. Recently had to have an issue resolved in my car and was given a loaner with halogen lights..really made me appreciate my light upgrade.

BTW - I am in no way endorseing HID's..this was simply my personal choice to upgrade my lighting for my safety so that i could see better when driving at night...
      09-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Can you post pic's of the Mod of what it looks like in daylight?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Deacon, can you share the link to where you got the HIDs from
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
cwolf521
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi

Great write up!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
TheProduct
The Product
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict
Deacon, can you share the link to where you got the HIDs from
****************.com
      09-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
cwolf521
Private First Class
Rep

attempting to change my Low beams today following Deacon's write up. Will post results later.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
cwolf521
Private First Class
Rep

Finally did it. Deacon's write up is spot on. Very glad I did it!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Aaron_Cohen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Package

Will this work on the 2014 f30 models. I called some people and they say you need to mess with your cars computer or some BS like that...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Neo.fd3s
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328 Xdrive

Now this is how you DON'T do an HID upgrade to models who didn't choose the Xenon from the factory.
Not only are you throwing the light everywhere (thinking you can see much better at nite), you're going to have problems returning that vehicle if its under lease.

The proper way to do an HID upgrade is to purchase the HID housings belonging to this vehicle.

Any other way is inappropiate and you're causing glare to traffic around you.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo.fd3s View Post
Now this is how you DON'T do an HID upgrade to models who didn't choose the Xenon from the factory.
Not only are you throwing the light everywhere (thinking you can see much better at nite), you're going to have problems returning that vehicle if its under lease.

The proper way to do an HID upgrade is to purchase the HID housings belonging to this vehicle.

Who cares, people think bimmer drivers are douchebags anyway
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Deacon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo.fd3s View Post

Have you encountered someone with this Mod on the road and been blinded? Just curious as to if your talking from experiance or just running your trap. I actually purchased a preowned model that did not have the Angel Eyes already fitted. TO be honest Im a first time BMW owner and I thoguth all BMWs came standard with HID's/ANgel eyes - I thought it was a BMW "thing" so I was surprised and dissapointed.
For my car this has been the best, most needed upgrade and for those that have the stock/crap halogen then you really dont know what your missing.

I say again , I have had not one flash from another driver...but I will say when I had my Acura TL with factory HID - I would get flashed from time to time by other drivers thinking I had my brights on - My TL had a precise cut off ...

As far as having a vehicle with a lease - its really not a big deal - the only thing you are altering is making a hole in the plastic light cap--Im sure upon lease turn in you could remove the HID bulb along with balast and reinstall the OEM bulb and either 1) reuse the light cover with the hole ( throw some duct tape over the hole and call it quits or 2) buy two plastic light caps and replace - simple / no brainer..

just my 5 cents worth
      09-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Deacon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_818Tarzana View Post
Will this work on the 2014 f30 models. I called some people and they say you need to mess with your cars computer or some BS like that...
dont have a 2014 but I wouldnt think its any different - I had an error code come up for my right headlight - called the guys at underground Euros and they sent me a Can bus cancellor - no problems since.
      09-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
Aaron_Cohen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
dont have a 2014 but I wouldnt think its any different - I had an error code come up for my right headlight - called the guys at underground Euros and they sent me a Can bus cancellor - no problems since.
Thanks im really looking into installing them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
stylus1133
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Brooklyn Grey M4 Manual

Garage List
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Aftermarket HID Install

Deacon, are you noticing any issues with the auto-headlight switch?

I just had a shop in Arcadia, CA install HID's for the low beams, high beams, and fog lights, as well as LEDs for the DRL and the parking lights. When I start the car with the auto-headlight turned on, I sometimes get a code that the low beam lamp is out, and the light won't turn on. I then have to turn the light on and off and on manually for it to kick on.

All the lights look great, and I'll post some pics later today. I definitely do not regret the install.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
tiburonarce1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylus1133 View Post
Deacon, are you noticing any issues with the auto-headlight switch?

I just had a shop in Arcadia, CA install HID's for the low beams, high beams, and fog lights, as well as LEDs for the DRL and the parking lights. When I start the car with the auto-headlight turned on, I sometimes get a code that the low beam lamp is out, and the light won't turn on. I then have to turn the light on and off and on manually for it to kick on.

All the lights look great, and I'll post some pics later today. I definitely do not regret the install.
Yeah please show some pictures!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
Rinzler007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 4.35i

I have a much simpler process...

Up to step 7 your doing great but after just plug in the power cables to the factory bulb harness then take off the circle cap on top of headlight and put inside headlamp the blaster and the remaning cables then close it back up.

SIMPLE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
This is a DIY install of HID lights for the non Angel Eye Crowd.
I purchased my 2012 328i Sportline used with 14k miles, so I didn’t have the choice of adding the lighting package. My car did however come with premium package, heated seats, technology package. So the only thing I would have added would be the lighting package. Oh well that will be on my next 328. Ok so I looked around the net for a DIY install of HID’s for the F30 and did not find one. So I thought I would write one up to help those do this SIMPLE install. It really wasn’t that bad once I knew what I was doing.
So here goes.
You will need a flashlight, 1” spade drill bit, socket/ratchet, car jack, flat tip screw driver and some zip ties.

1) Remove front tires and secure vehicle with Jack stands.
2) Remove 6 screws holding plastic wheel well in place

3) Remove plastic door from wheel well to access low beam lights – high beam lights are accessed from under the hood. This is for a 2012 – not sure if this is different from other F30 models.

4) Now look through the window port and remove the black plastic wire cap that goes to the bulb- this simply pulls straight back – place this to the side.
5) This is the pain in the Arse part. Take a flat tip screwdriver and gently press the (3) metal tabs marked in the picture back one at a time, doesn’t take much and the light bulb will simply come out. Prior to putting the new bulbs in , you will want to take the same screw driver and pull the tabs back out so that they will catch the new bulb housing. NOT SURE WHICH IDIOT DESINGED THIS BUT , I WOULD HAVE CHOSEN THE INSERT AND TWIST TYPE BULBS. Ok once the bulbs are out sit aside and store in a safe place.

6) Now take a 1” spade bit and drill a large hole into the back of the plastic housing. This was super easy and simple. Place a piece of wood under the plastic housing. Even if you decide later to uninstall, I figure two of these housing shouldn’t be that much to replace. You could choose to bypass this step all together and just place the ballast inside of the light housing and it would fit without issues BUT I am assuming the ballast would give off some heat and I didn’t want to risk that in these expensive BMW housings.

7) Most of the hard work is done. Now, take your new bulbs and route thru the black plastic covers. *** remove clear plastic protectors prior to routing or you will have to take out and do again—ask me how I know - Should look like this. The rubber grommet will fit nicely in the black plastic housing and keep out moisture/rain. Look at picture.

8) Now plug the new HID bulb back into the light housing – Plug two wires from HID bulb to factory black plug that came off original bulbs. Refer to pic. This is the bulbs power source.

9) Now connect the ballast.
10) Test your lights now to make sure both power wires are connected properly, if no lights shine reverse the connections. DO this prior to putting everything back in its place.
11) Once tested and working and new smile is on your face. Pull the wires gently thru the rubber grommet as you are guiding the plastic housing back to its original position covering the light housing. Twist in place.

12) While holding the plastic wheel well cover back secure your ballast against the metal housing structure beneath your lights. I secured both ballast against a metal support structure using zip ties. I used 4 large zip ties per side. Difficult to capture on camera, but you can get an idea from my pics.

13) That’s it. Reinstall the 6 bolts and the plastic cover.

14) Take an extra few minutes to clean your wheel/tire since its off the car and place back on the car all nice and shiny.

Factory yellow bulbs

I installed the Xenon HID kit supplied from Underground Euros and the HID lights provide much more light output over stock. It really lights up the night. So far after having the lights for 2 weeks , I have yet to get flashed. Now it doesn’t have the cut off that factory Projection lights have ( such as on my previous Acura TL). But it’s a very nice upgrade over the stock yellow bulbs. The price of the bulbs shipped were $148.74
I did not want to spend $30+ dollars for bulbs that I was going to be disappointed in, so for the money I am satisfied.
When putting your high beams on, its hard to tell if your high beams are helping much because of the improved reach of the HID’s.

So Good luck to those who do this install, its not very difficult, maybe a little time consuming.
Of course this write up is just a courtesy guide, I take NO REPOSIBILITY FOR SCREW UPS THAT MIGHT HAPPEN.
Enjoy your new lights…..
Deacon
Appreciate 0