F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > White smoke out exhaust after new turbo
ARMA SPEED

02-06-2024, 03:01 PM   #1
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I recently installed a doc race full frame kit with a 6466 PTE, I’m still on base map that my tuner sent and I’m experiencing white smoke out the exhaust after building boost past 3 psi then sitting at a stop sign it starts smoking decently but not heavy. I know it’s not my pcv since I did a delete on it with Ross racing and the doc race gave me a filter to vent from. Ive been stumped on this for the last couple days so any insight would be appreciated. I’m going to attach my oil drain and oil feed lines to the turbo but I don’t think it’s those either. Maybe Valve cover but I have never had a problem with smoking until I put the new turbo on

Edit: it’s like after building boost and supplying the turbo with oil it’s not draining. Properly even tho the lines seem to be correct
      02-06-2024, 03:03 PM   #2
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drain and feed lines here
Attached Images

02-06-2024, 04:30 PM   #3
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is the only leak spot I can see of but it’s not excessive at all and I doubt if it was the rear main seal it would be causing the smoke to go out only after boost not on start up and all
Attached Images

02-07-2024, 12:37 PM   #4
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

It will go away on its own. I had the same issue after installing the new turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:38 PM   #5
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
It will go away on its own. I had the same issue after installing the new turbo.
How long did it take for it to go away? It’s been atleast a week now with the new one on but I’m still on the base mapping
      02-07-2024, 03:05 PM   #6
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: gave precision a call and they want me to send the turbo back to have it looked at because they think they messed up some sort of tolerance on it during manufacturing. Rush job would take a week and cost 170 then regular would be 3-4 weeks. This is my daily so I would be without a car until then. Do y’all recommmend sending it off to them and seeing or continue to drive and keep a look out for smoke? I know it’s nothing engine related because this wasn’t a problem prior to the install
      02-09-2024, 01:25 PM   #7
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxrger View Post
Update: gave precision a call and they want me to send the turbo back to have it looked at because they think they messed up some sort of tolerance on it during manufacturing. Rush job would take a week and cost 170 then regular would be 3-4 weeks. This is my daily so I would be without a car until then. Do y’all recommmend sending it off to them and seeing or continue to drive and keep a look out for smoke? I know it’s nothing engine related because this wasn’t a problem prior to the install
Maybe it's your pcv. Try changing that part first.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 04:40 PM   #8
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Well it sounds like they are potentially admitting to having an issue with that turbo?

I would send it off just to make sure while they're still accepting it. Would hate to see you do all this troubleshooting and they say it's outside of "warranty" or whatever, and it turns out to be the turbo.

Just sucks that it's your daily... I have been there before...

But, the chances of it being a line are pretty slim, since the smoke is coming out of the exhaust. A line leak would smoke in the engine bay. What I would worry about is seals in the center section of the turbo.. only happens under boost... ..you're sure it's white and not blue-ish? White smoke normally means a coolant issue, though it looks like this turbo isn't water cooled.

Anyway, I would send it back. :-/
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 12:05 PM   #9
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm2.0 View Post
Well it sounds like they are potentially admitting to having an issue with that turbo?

I would send it off just to make sure while they're still accepting it. Would hate to see you do all this troubleshooting and they say it's outside of "warranty" or whatever, and it turns out to be the turbo.

Just sucks that it's your daily... I have been there before...

But, the chances of it being a line are pretty slim, since the smoke is coming out of the exhaust. A line leak would smoke in the engine bay. What I would worry about is seals in the center section of the turbo.. only happens under boost... ..you're sure it's white and not blue-ish? White smoke normally means a coolant issue, though it looks like this turbo isn't water cooled.

Anyway, I would send it back. :-/
Update: precision is sending it back and said everything was fine with the turbo so I guess that’s good and bad since now I’m stumped what it could be. They are including a flapper for the oil drain side that my mechanic will put on while installing the turbo. I’m at a loss they said it’s something with the crank case ventilation but I have a pcv top delete running vta and running the supplied breather from doc race so I don’t know how it would be that
      02-17-2024, 04:52 AM   #10
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep

I would be interested to see if, when you get it back, the problem is fixed. Maybe I am just cynical but it could be they didn't want to admit there was something wrong but fixed it anyway.
Here's hoping.

But I am not sure what it could be... I guess while it's down go through your PCV mods and make sure everything is clean, and lines are clear and snugged? I know that's not real helpful, but I am stumped as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 05:22 AM   #11
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would be interested to see if, when you get it back, the problem is fixed. Maybe I am just cynical but it could be they didn't want to admit there was something wrong but fixed it anyway.
Here's hoping.

But I am not sure what it could be... I guess while it's down go through your PCV mods and make sure everything is clean, and lines are clear and snugged? I know that's not real helpful, but I am stumped as well...
Do you think running the vta pcv delete up top and then the crank case ventilation it’s causing something? I might put the stock pcv cap and diaphragm back on to rule that out
      02-17-2024, 08:33 AM   #12
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep

If at all possible, I do try to return things to as close to stock so that I can diagnose individual parts. If that is possible it wouldn't hurt.
Appreciate 1
Bxrger75.00
      02-17-2024, 08:35 AM   #13
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If at all possible, I do try to return things to as close to stock so that I can diagnose individual parts. If that is possible it wouldn't hurt.
Some are trying to say leaking injector but if that was the case wouldn’t I smell fuel and it’s only after I come to a stop so there is no pressure inside the crank case keeping it in so that’s why I’m assuming it happens then
      02-17-2024, 10:32 AM   #14
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep

Leaky injector? ...are you able to log? Can you see a change in your air fuel ratio when it happens? ...an injector leaking that bad would give a rich condition.. and wouldn't it be black smoke? Hmm... Always worth a check.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:30 AM   #15
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Leaky injector? ...are you able to log? Can you see a change in your air fuel ratio when it happens? ...an injector leaking that bad would give a rich condition.. and wouldn't it be black smoke? Hmm... Always worth a check.
Yeah I really doubt it would be that since I replaced them around 5-7k miles ago but I’m Going to check everything when the turbo gets back, precision is sending a thing for the oil drain line to make sure it doesn’t get blocked
      02-17-2024, 01:04 PM   #16
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm betting that fixes it. If it gets blocked, or doesn't flow fast enough, it will push through the seals and burn in the turbine housing, since it's pressurized...

Side question, what's your horsepower goal and what fuel systems mods do you have? (I ask not as part of the troubleshooting but for myself as I am wanting to hit about 700whp...)
Appreciate 1
Bxrger75.00
      02-17-2024, 04:07 PM   #17
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm betting that fixes it. If it gets blocked, or doesn't flow fast enough, it will push through the seals and burn in the turbine housing, since it's pressurized...

Side question, what's your horsepower goal and what fuel systems mods do you have? (I ask not as part of the troubleshooting but for myself as I am wanting to hit about 700whp...)
My goal is mid to high 700s / low 8s. I have 1050cc port injection dorshe stage 2 and a upgraded LPFP, with that my tuner said I can make those numbers pretty easily with the 6466 and reflex + tuning on ethanol
      02-17-2024, 05:53 PM   #18
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Yeah I really doubt it would be that since I replaced them around 5-7k miles ago but I’m Going to check everything when the turbo gets back, precision is sending a thing for the oil drain line to make sure it doesn’t get blocked
Let me know what they send. Post a picture of it.
Bxrger75.00
      02-17-2024, 06:28 PM   #19
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Some are trying to say leaking injector but if that was the case wouldn’t I smell fuel and it’s only after I come to a stop so there is no pressure inside the crank case keeping it in so that’s why I’m assuming it happens then
What does the smoke smell like? Oil has a pretty definitive pungent smell when burnt. It's either that or oil. It won't be injectors.

...and... I doubt they'd flat out say "oh, we f'd up that turbo". That just leads to you posted that here, and causes them a bunch of marketing harm. I'd wait until you get the turbo back in as it may just "magically all go away. )
Appreciate 1
Bxrger75.00
      02-17-2024, 06:32 PM   #20
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Let me know what they send. Post a picture of it.
Yes sir I will! I’m
Hoping this causes all my problems to go away
      02-17-2024, 06:33 PM   #21
Bxrger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
What does the smoke smell like? Oil has a pretty definitive pungent smell when burnt. It's either that or oil. It won't be injectors.

...and... I doubt they'd flat out say "oh, we f'd up that turbo". That just leads to you posted that here, and causes them a bunch of marketing harm. I'd wait until you get the turbo back in as it may just "magically all go away. )
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I’m going to attach here what they send when it arrives because its a little fishy they are sending a product for “free” to help the oil drain that should of already been fine from the start. I’m almost positive it’s a oil smell since I know coolant and fuel smells and it’s not either of those
      02-18-2024, 07:30 AM   #22
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I’m going to attach here what they send when it arrives because its a little fishy they are sending a product for “free” to help the oil drain that should of already been fine from the start. I’m almost positive it’s a oil smell since I know coolant and fuel smells and it’s not either of those
Sounds like they made a mistake, and are making it right.
Appreciate 1
Bxrger75.00