F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 335d using oil?
ARMA SPEED

09-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #23
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Did BMW or the Indy say what caused the increased oil consumption and the failed bearing ?

Were the two things linked ?

A hit bearing could indicate oil starvation. Blocked oil pathway or failing oil pump ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #24
TufftyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 335dxM Shaddow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Did BMW or the Indy say what caused the increased oil consumption and the failed bearing ?

Were the two things linked ?

A hit bearing could indicate oil starvation. Blocked oil pathway or failing oil pump ?
The independent garage didn't touch the car and advised me to call BMW directly so they weren't accused of meddling.

With BMW, every failure is presumed to be covered under a warranty unless they find a reason why it isn't. Once they had confirmed the engine was shot, checked my service history etc... they waived it through. They weren't prepared to pay for any further investigation and nor was I.

The two issues could have been totally unrelated.

Obviously I was not over the moon when my new one started to drink oil. The dealer said "it isn't anything to worry about but I completely understand why you're worried."

It's in their notes so I can't do any more.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:14 AM   #25
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

OP Update,

Got my car back after almost 5 months.
Has had a new block and all associated parts, basically a new short engine. I've done around 1k miles trying to be gentle but still using occasional higher revs.

Going really well, feels like new and...
no oil use
Warranty paid up, close on 12k, not sure how the loan car was covered.

my only car problem is that I had a nearly new 530d for 5 months and I got to like the better tech, I'll likely fit an android screen and hope someone will figure how to integrate with the HUD,

I plan to run this for at least another 100k miles, hopefully turbos, injectors, gearbox, DPF, will last!

oh, no exact diagnosis only an issue found with cylinder 5
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 11:41 PM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TufftyUK View Post
Hi everyone, i hope my experience - whilst not good - might help you.

I bought a brand new F30 335d xdrive in september 2013 from a local BMW dealer. I do around 30-35k a year. It was serviced by the dealer regularly. It used no oil until BMW changed a few parts under warranty at around 90k.

Out of interest (see below) the intake manifold was replaced as a small oil leak around the swirl flap actuator gunged it up.

After the work it was Using 1l/3k oil. I told the garage I thought this was odd and they gave me the usual bluff that up to 1l/1k is OK. I said fine but would they like to check on the ramp as it was a new issue after their works. They gave it a quick visual for free and said it was fine. I MADE SURE THEY RECORDED MY COMPLAINT IN THE CAR’S HISTORY.

I took out the extended warranty just before it ticked over 100k. I cannot remember if this was before or after the 3y mark, I think before as I would have been on about 90k but either way I had the top level of cover for a further 12m. I think I had a diff go and used it once but just kept pouring oil in.

The car started getting a little smokey, you could only really see this at night in the headlights of the car behind. I decided that I would get the next major service done at a trusted independent garage.

The extended warranty came up for renewal and I paid up but was now on the lowest level because the car had over 100k on it.

I took the car to the other garage and whilst there the engine failed catastrophically. A main bearing had failed and there was shattered metal throughout the oil system. The area of the failure showed signs of blueing where it had got so hot. Remember, I kept topping the oil up.

BMW recovered the car, took a look at the engine, approved the insured warranty claim and said that gave me £5k off the bill to replace the whole lot....£21k. Clearly, even I had £16k on me, I wasn’t going to spend it on a new engine for a car 4yo and 120k on the clock.

I reminded the dealer of the notes and asked them to approach BWM UK on my behalf. BMW UK offered me £3k towards a new engine or £10k towards a new car.

I took the £10k, ordered a new one, fitted a refurbed engine to the old car and sold it to WBAC. In all, I broke even but it was a lot of hassle.

So, I bought another 335d xdrive of course! Car has 85k on it and has recently started to drink oil at around 1l/3k. I mentioned this to the dealer - let’s just say they all recognise me in there - and they said they’d check it out. It went in for a general warranty check and they found a few issues. It’s had a new intake manifold for the same issue as before. Still appears to be drinking oil. I will continue to point this out them at every service. Should have another 35k or so before the engine explodes.

Be time for a new one by then anyway.
Good luck,
Dave
So what caused all this wear and why did it fail??

I had a E91 335d from 108k-226k and it didn’t use a drop of oil.

I now have F31 335d from 37k and now on 45k and I’ve done 2 litres
Appreciate 0