F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Broken Wheel Lock! HELP!
proTUNING Freaks

10-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Black F32 435i

Broken Wheel Lock! HELP!

Hi All, I have a broken wheel lock and a stripped wheel key. The issue I'm facing is that my Vorsteiner Wheels do not have the same sized wheel lug well as stock wheels, meaning BMW cannot fit their lock extraction tools. Attached is a picture of the broken lock and wheel, anything you know that can help let me know! Thank you all in advance for reading, and hope you're having a great day!

Also, 4 tire shops have refused to work on the car because they don't want to damage the wheel. I have been trying to find a solution for 3 weeks and still nothing. Anyways, thanks for reading!
Attached Images

10-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Happened to me. Dealer can remove it but it'll cost ya. Must be drilled out.

Never again.
Appreciate 1
blakep842.00
      10-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Happened to me. Dealer can remove it but it'll cost ya. Must be drilled out.

Never again.
My dealer said they can't fit their tools without possibly damaging the wheel, the key for the lock barely fit!

Thank you for your quick response!
      10-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakep8 View Post
Hi All, I have a broken wheel lock and a stripped wheel key. The issue I'm facing is that my Vorsteiner Wheels do not have the same sized wheel lug well as stock wheels, meaning BMW cannot fit their lock extraction tools. Attached is a picture of the broken lock and wheel, anything you know that can help let me know! Thank you all in advance for reading, and hope you're having a great day!

Also, 4 tire shops have refused to work on the car because they don't want to damage the wheel. I have been trying to find a solution for 3 weeks and still nothing. Anyways, thanks for reading!
Not sure what you mean by the wheel lock is broken. Looks okay in photo.

If the wheel lock key is damaged, you can email closeup photos of the wheel lock to McGard. They can match the photo and send you a brand new key.

Spray PB blaster into the wheel lock area. And have brake cleaner handy to clean it up later.

I use a short 1/2" drive socket that slips over the wheel lock key. (Shorter sockets are easier to hold onto the wheel lock key.) Then a long 25" 1/2" drive breaker bar into the socket.

Have someone hold the socket perfectly straight on the wheel lock key as someone turns the breaker bar to loosen it. I even bought an 18" piece of steel pipe at Lowe's that slips over the breaker bar to create even more torque.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

If the wheel lock key is damaged, you can email closeup photos of the wheel lock to McGard. They can match the photo and send you a brand new key.

Spray PB blaster into the wheel lock area. And have brake cleaner handy to clean it up later.

I use a short 1/2" drive socket that slips over the wheel lock key. (Shorter sockets are easier to hold onto the wheel lock key.) Then a long 25" 1/2" drive breaker bar into the socket.

Have someone hold the socket perfectly straight on the wheel lock key as someone turns the breaker bar to loosen it. I even bought an 18" piece of steel pipe at Lowe's that slips over the breaker bar to create even more torque.
Hey! Thanks for the response. The wheel lock is broken, it looks ok but there is no keyed section for the lock to bite. It is a flat surface. I think my best bet is drilling the bolt and using a bolt extractor.
      10-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

Hey! Thanks for the response. The wheel lock is broken, it looks ok but there is no keyed section for the lock to bite. It is a flat surface. I think my best bet is drilling the bolt and using a bolt extractor.
I have gotten things to turn using this handheld impact tool along with a handheld mini-sledgehammer. You could use an oscillating tool to cut a deep groove for the tool to bite into.

You set the tool to turn counter clockwise then wack it once with the sledgehammer. Then reset it and wack it again. The tool drives forward and then turns slightly. Same function as airtool but can't round it off.

This is exactly how my dealer removed my wheel lock
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
blakep842.00
      10-02-2020, 03:25 AM   #7
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

To me it looks like your adapter / key has stripped so that it has left its cookie cutter part into the groove of the bolt. Before drilling the bolt itself not to mention welding (which will ruin the wheel) I would suggest you do all you can to pry that cookie cutter part out of the groove and then try to open the bolt again with a new adapter. Personally I would probably take my Dremel grinder and try to cut the cookie cutter into pieces which I could then pry out with an o-ring pick tool.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
AntF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive - Carbon Black

Happened to me last week. Went to change my wheels, managed three, disaster on the last wheel!!

Tried everything to remove the remains of the key out of the lock but to no avail. Couldn't hammer a socket onto the head as it would just spin. In the end i called out a local guy who removed the bolt without damaging the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntF32 View Post
Happened to me last week. Went to change my wheels, managed three, disaster on the last wheel!!

Tried everything to remove the remains of the key out of the lock but to no avail. Couldn't hammer a socket onto the head as it would just spin. In the end i called out a local guy who removed the bolt without damaging the wheel.
Where are you located? Who removed it for you?
      10-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi all, I resolved the issue! McGard customer support will send you a drill out kit at the cost of $100 deposit. Once you use the 3 different sized drill bits, the head of the bolt will fall off leaving just the threads of the bolt hanging out of the hub. Once you're done with the removal, you send the kit back and get your deposit back. Note that this process takes 2+ hours! I will leave a link below of the same process just on a Volvo instead of a BMW (doesn't make a difference). Good luck!

exE36M3486.00
      10-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Hi all, I resolved the issue! McGard customer support will send you a drill out kit at the cost of $100 deposit. Once you use the 3 different sized drill bits, the head of the bolt will fall off leaving just the threads of the bolt hanging out of the hub. Once you're done with the removal, you send the kit back and get your deposit back. Note that this process takes 2+ hours! I will leave a link below of the same process just on a Volvo instead of a BMW (doesn't make a difference). Good luck!

Having sheared one of the Impreza's McGuard nuts just after I bought it I welded on a socket extension piece to the nut and removed it. Cut the nut off the extension once you've undone it and you're good to go again. Admittedly this does require a welder and the ability to use it, but it's definitely the quickest way to get them off if battering an old socket on doesn't sort it.
Appreciate 0