F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Thoughts on roof wrap on Alpine White
ARMA SPEED

09-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #45
billy_617
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskybmw View Post
Chuffed with mine
Damn that came out great! I'm still on the fence about doing mine.. might pull the trigger next spring
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #46
HanLueX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post

The only downside to a gloss black wrap is the damage it'll eventually take - I rewrap mine every 12-16 months because of staining and swirls (no matter how safe your wash procedure is it'll still happen).
Sick shot + car + lowkey flex with the Aston in the background

Replacing the wrap every 12-18 months seems like wayyy too frequently. Are you doing anything unusual with it? Also what are you paying for it cause wraps tend to cost alot. I guess only doing the roof wouldn't be as bad but once a year adds up.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:14 AM   #47
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanLueX View Post

Replacing the wrap every 12-18 months seems like wayyy too frequently. Are you doing anything unusual with it? Also what are you paying for it cause wraps tend to cost alot. I guess only doing the roof wouldn't be as bad but once a year adds up.
Haha, it's a bit of garage queen always photo bombing my shots.

Yeah it is a bit, however with it being a big flat surface the birds love to make a mess all over it, plus just recently a lot of dried water marks have stained it (I try to keep up on waxing it but it doesn't help). The worst I've had is a leaf from the tree above the driveway managed to bake itself onto the vinyl which has left an imprint with all the leaf vane lines.

Having a roof sprayed can't be too much, surely gloss black can't be much more than 250/350? A roof wrap at my local place is about £150, but then you're left with swirls and orange peel from the vinyl texture, which unlike clear coat you can't polish out
      10-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #48
Astone22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320 xdrive, f32 428

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanLueX View Post

Yeah it is a bit, however with it being a big flat surface the birds love to make a mess all over it, plus just recently a lot of dried water marks have stained it (I try to keep up on waxing it but it doesn't help). The worst I've had is a leaf from the tree above the driveway managed to bake itself onto the vinyl which has left an imprint with all the leaf vane lines.

Having a roof sprayed can't be too much, surely gloss black can't be much more than 250/350? A roof wrap at my local place is about £150, but then you're left with swirls and orange peel from the vinyl texture, which unlike clear coat you can't polish out
Have you tried ceramic coating the wrap?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #49
HanLueX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:

That's fair. I would definitely be ok with that as garage queen.

I guess you don't have room in the garage to keep the bmw? I def understand it getting run down faster if it's always outside... especially if you're somewhere (in the UK it seems) where the weather is a bit aggressive.

Just the roof wouldn't be too bad $$ wise in that range, but still seems really annoying lol. Yea when you skimp on the material/install you get what you pay for though.

Last edited by HanLueX; 10-22-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:15 AM   #50
Atsantone
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucberic View Post
Wow that looks really good to me. Anybody know a good shop in Cali (NorCal or SoCal) that they recommend for this?
Look into Sfg wraps in NorCal. Great people / shop
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #51
Cubbyno9
Cubby
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420D M SPORT

Thoughts on all black roof like Aston Marton DBS

Hi, sorry if I have jumped on this a bit late. I have done it and it looks great, only a wrap and as others have said, if don't like its easy to remove.

Quick question what are peoples thoughts on doing the roof and front and back door pillars also, see picture of DBS, I think it looks superb.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/26060...a-first-drive/
Appreciate 0