F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BootMod3 vs MG Flasher Stage 2 / 2+(2.5)
proTUNING Freaks

10-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
dawidd3
Rep
Drives: F30 340Xi B58

BootMod3 vs MG Flasher Stage 2 / 2+(2.5)

Hi

I am planning Stage 2 for the RON93 / 98 and then Stage 2+ (2.5) with the HFPF B58TU RON93 / 98.
I would like to know the opinions of MG Flasher and BM3 users.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
Dronamashina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340ix

Mgflasher is great. Performance, useability, different features and customer support - everything is on high level. The app itself is user friendly and simple. Maps are strong with very good performance. Didn’t have any experience with bm3.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
dawidd3
Rep
Drives: F30 340Xi B58

Thank you for opinion.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

The main benefit with BM3 is the huge user support system they have since they are the most widely adopted tuning platform. Any time you have any issue, there are 100s of people available to help in their fb group.

The main benefit with MG is the features that they are adding to make adjustments on the fly. Switching mapes, turning settings on/off, etc.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Bootmod3 is the best, in my opinion, with unparalleled support, strong and reliable maps, and with the most features. They also keep on adding new features on an almost monthly basis

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
orangepeelforest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i F30

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
The main benefit with BM3 is the huge user support system they have since they are the most widely adopted tuning platform. Any time you have any issue, there are 100s of people available to help in their fb group.

The main benefit with MG is the features that they are adding to make adjustments on the fly. Switching mapes, turning settings on/off, etc.
It does look like BM3 has some cool features in the pipeline regarding map switching so that is something to note.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeelforest View Post
It does look like BM3 has some cool features in the pipeline regarding map switching so that is something to note.
I have BM3 and I love it. But just being honest, MG Flasher came in hot with all the new features and now BM3/MHD are trying to catch up. But yeah, I'm excited to see it all come to light.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Do BM3 and MG Flasher both work with an easy to use WiFi OBDII device so you can use a mobile phone app? I use MHD and love how easy it is to connect. I think I've heard other people complain about connection or laptop only logging and it sounded like a pain. Don't know firsthand as I've only ever used MHD.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #9
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeelforest View Post
+1 flex fuel too and launch antilag stuff. Can’t wait to try antilag!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:00 AM   #10
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supr3me View Post
Do BM3 and MG Flasher both work with an easy to use WiFi OBDII device so you can use a mobile phone app? I use MHD and love how easy it is to connect. I think I've heard other people complain about connection or laptop only logging and it sounded like a pain. Don't know firsthand as I've only ever used MHD.
I exclusively use my phone to flash the car, never used a laptop. I use the ENET cable and it literally takes 1-2 min all in all to connect and flash the ECU from map to stock or vice versa. You can also use a wifi adaptor. It works with Iphone and Android

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #11
RMMAGA
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i

FYI recently had poor experience will BM3 support:

I have a issue with my custom tune that if I try to save any new changes, even I just modify one singe basic table value, the ECU is temporarily bricked, and I need to do a full unlock and flash back to an old file that I have not recently edited to recover it or the stock or OTS tune, it doesn't matter what file as I have 3 different custom tunes in my account, if I edit it, and save it, then it will never work again, even if I copy it, then the copy and save a known good file, it will also be bad after it is saved, when the original is OK, very strange

BM3 support does not want to help me solve the issue, I get the feeling they don't believe me, which is frustrating when you really having a issue you cannot solve

BM3 just wanted me to flash the OTS, when OTS was successful they said, well its not our problem as you can flash the OTS, I told them I can flash old map and stock map no issue so this is not surprising at all, so the only value that added to debugging my issue was for them to then turn around and tell me, yah OK that works, well then your on your own bud.

What I do not understand is how the heck could changing a single table value brick the ECU on different files, that means that they are not properly checking and defining the table in the editor, there is nothing I should be able to modify that could brick the ECU if they have the address mapping and ranging checking correct, also it makes no sense

I am on B48 and I think there is much less testing and dev on it so I am just waiting for the next release at this point and finger crossed it will be fixed, as that is about all I really can do at this point

looked at the Facebook group, but I cannot see how the Facebook page has anything useful for support, its more for marketing?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:30 AM   #12
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

There are a gazillion active people on the FB group. Chances are this has been raised before. I would post and see what comes back.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #13
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMMAGA View Post
FYI recently had poor experience will BM3 support:

I have a issue with my custom tune that if I try to save any new changes, even I just modify one singe basic table value, the ECU is temporarily bricked, and I need to do a full unlock and flash back to an old file that I have not recently edited to recover it or the stock or OTS tune, it doesn't matter what file as I have 3 different custom tunes in my account, if I edit it, and save it, then it will never work again, even if I copy it, then the copy and save a known good file, it will also be bad after it is saved, when the original is OK, very strange

BM3 support does not want to help me solve the issue, I get the feeling they don't believe me, which is frustrating when you really having a issue you cannot solve

BM3 just wanted me to flash the OTS, when OTS was successful they said, well its not our problem as you can flash the OTS, I told them I can flash old map and stock map no issue so this is not surprising at all, so the only value that added to debugging my issue was for them to then turn around and tell me, yah OK that works, well then your on your own bud.

What I do not understand is how the heck could changing a single table value brick the ECU on different files, that means that they are not properly checking and defining the table in the editor, there is nothing I should be able to modify that could brick the ECU if they have the address mapping and ranging checking correct, also it makes no sense

I am on B48 and I think there is much less testing and dev on it so I am just waiting for the next release at this point and finger crossed it will be fixed, as that is about all I really can do at this point

looked at the Facebook group, but I cannot see how the Facebook page has anything useful for support, its more for marketing?
Of course you can brick stuff if you change things you don’t know what and how they should be changed. Leave custom tuning to those that have experience as you can blow up your motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #14
RMMAGA
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i

LOL and yes, if I blow my motor its all on me, to be honest if my end goal was not to blow up my motor, this issue may be the best thing that has happened to me, I am pushing 26 psi at the top end on my last maps, and you know you always want a little more and a little more and then, well, at some point, things tend to break ...

at the same time to be serious a lot of the custom tunes I see based on the logs posted, are not magic or unique, and some flawed IMHO, I am thinking to do a tutorial if people are interested as its really not as hard as some seem to think, also the B48 is the same ECU architecture and combustion chamber as B58, so it should the info should cross over

the way the community is currently run with people not sharing much info on how to do custom tunes is not really conducive to our collective learning and pushing the platform forward
Appreciate 3
Avaley726.50
SRHosein194.00
      10-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #15
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMMAGA View Post
LOL and yes, if I blow my motor its all on me, to be honest if my end goal was not to blow up my motor, this issue may be the best thing that has happened to me, I am pushing 26 psi at the top end on my last maps, and you know you always want a little more and a little more and then, well, at some point, things tend to break ...

at the same time to be serious a lot of the custom tunes I see based on the logs posted, are not magic or unique, and some flawed IMHO, I am thinking to do a tutorial if people are interested as its really not as hard as some seem to think, also the B48 is the same ECU architecture and combustion chamber as B58, so it should the info should cross over

the way the community is currently run with people not sharing much info on how to do custom tunes is not really conducive to our collective learning and pushing the platform forward
+1 I would be interested in this tutorial
Appreciate 0