F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bavsound Stage One Install/Review (Hi-Fi)
ARMA SPEED

04-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
DantonIzzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

Bavsound Stage One Install/Review (Hi-Fi)

Bavsound Stage One Standard Hi-Fi Review

Before beginning the review, I would like to highlight the guidelines under which I’m reviewing them. The speakers are not intended to be a wholesale upgrade; rather, they are intended to be plug-and-play and are designed to be DIY-friendly. My scale/rating is, therefore, based on these things in mind. From a pure sound standpoint, of course, they will not be as good as a dedicated amp/speaker system, but that’s not really the point of these speakers (nor does the price reflect it). They are cost-effective, DIY alternative.

Price

I got them for $450, which included the speakers, sound deadening materials, and the install tool. The set is very attractive at this price-point and I don’t think I would have paid more for them. At the price I paid, I think they are absolutely worth it. I don’t think they would be worth $800, which what they were going for last year.

Price: 8/10.

Install Process

Before installing the speakers, I would recommend going on amazon to order some extra door clips (search for BMW door clips on amazon). They are not too fragile, but I nevertheless ended up breaking a couple. The clips are cheap, so they are worth having extra around (50 for $6).

The install process was not too difficult, but it is not easy either. The process is definitely much harder than what the install video suggests. Nevertheless, it is doable. I wanted to take my time, so the entire process took me 4.5 hours over two days, which included redoing several doors due to mistakes explained below. I enjoy these things, so I didn’t mind that it took so long. But after having gone through the process with my car, I probably can now do it within an hour or two.

The most difficult part, as many people probably have anticipated, was getting the door trim and the door panel off. On the video, the guy pried the door trim from the top, which was what I did. After having completed the process, I would recommend doing so from the bottom, so that you minimize scratches and marks on the aluminum/wood trip. I have little marks on all of my trims now, but they are not too bad, however. Getting the door panel off also was difficult. I found it the easiest to stick the trim remover at the bottom corner to unlock a clip or two, then stick my fingers under the panel and pull it off that way.

I’m not sure if it’s just me, I also found disconnecting the speakers cables very difficult. For whatever reason, I could not unplug them by just pulling on them. I ended up having to use the little needle hook that came with the install tool to hook and pull on the cable. The cables are fragile, so be very careful that you don’t destroy the clips. After removing the trim, door panel, and unplugging the speaker cable, the remaining process was a breeze. It truly was plug-and-play at that point.

Because I had such a difficulty unplugging the cables, I decided to leave the door panel attached to the light/window cables and rest it on a box. I had enough room to work, so there was not issue there.

HOWEVER, be sure that the door handle cable does not get caught on anything when putting the door panel back on. I made the mistake of putting the panel back on without making sure that everything lined up correctly, resulting in a stuck door. I could not open it either from the inside or outside. I had to jimmy the door open by sticking a meter stick through the window slot. The easiest way to ensure that this does not happen to you is to make sure that the cable lines up in the proper slot, just make a note of how it should lay when you pull the door panel off initially.

Another suggestion I have is, as you route the speaker cables make sure to pull the cables out to avoid the cable slack getting caught on the window. I had to redo a door because of this issue. I should also mention that on the F36 install video, the guy forgot to tell you to remove the rubber boot from the magnets, so I had to take the door apart and redo them, which took additional time. All the little mistakes that I made during the install process made the process much longer than it needed to be.

All in, I would rate the install process to be 6.5/10.

Sound

The speakers are MUCH better than stock Hi-Fi system. The biggest issue I had with the stock speakers was that I found the mid-range too muddy, with very little definition. The Bavsound speakers cured this. The mid-range is now much clearer, and the definition is much tighter. The high-range is much brighter, but it almost sounds too harsh (it’s a strong improvement over stock nevertheless). In addition, because I did not upgrade the sub, I wasn’t expecting much bass response, but the speakers surprised me here. The bass response is better, but don’t expect anything fantastic, because after all you’re not upgrading the sub. The little extra response I got was just a nice surprise.

I’m not an audiophile, so I’m not the most technical when it comes to describing sounds. What I do look for, however, is a balanced sound akin to my Sennheiser Momentum headphones. The Bavsound speakers are NOT neutral, as (in my opinion) they are biased toward mid/high range. But for what they are intended to be, they are fine and much improved over stock speakers. I found that they sound best when listening to top 40 music.

I would rate the sound 8/10.

Summary

Overall, I’m happy with them. For the price I paid and what they are intended to be, I think I would make the purchase again. Also, if you enjoy DIY projects, I would definitely recommend them. Although they do not produce the sound signature that I like best, they do sound much better than stock speakers. Overall, I would rate them 7.5/10.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Nice write-up. You've got the "standard hi-fi" system? How many speakers?

I had looked at this in the past, but I've got the HK system and it's 8 speakers in the kit for $850.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
DantonIzzo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Nice write-up. You've got the "standard hi-fi" system? How many speakers?

I had looked at this in the past, but I've got the HK system and it's 8 speakers in the kit for $850.
Standard Hi-FI has five speakers (one at each door and one center channel) and two tweeters. You should check the website again, I think they've slashed the prices in half. There also is a 10% coupon on top of the half-off price if you enter your e-mail address (or just google Bavound coupon).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Jazzman528
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

Helpful info, thanks!

Hey Izzo, Thank you for the info on the install. I just installed the Focal plug & play in one door last night and ran into many of the same snags. THe Bav sound install video was much more detailed than the Focal install video, but they left out several details that would have been great to know about. YOu mentioned how hard it was to get the connectors off of the original speakers. I had the same problem. Really took a minute to figure out how to get them off without breaking them. I also had the lock cable come off of the hook/catch and had to figure out how to get that back on too. I'll be posting my full install and critique after I do the other door. Very glad that I found this Forum.http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/ima.../happyanim.gif
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/ima.../happyanim.gif
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
mcleod52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 30i-G01 2021 - Alpine White

The connectors are tough to get off. I broke the first two I took off. Review the bavsound install video and watch his technique. Once I did that I had no more problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantonIzzo View Post
Standard Hi-FI has five speakers (one at each door and one center channel) and two tweeters. You should check the website again, I think they've slashed the prices in half. There also is a 10% coupon on top of the half-off price if you enter your e-mail address (or just google Bavound coupon).
you also have two underseat woofers (driver and passenger sides).

i forgot to take off the rubber ring around the magnet for the center midrange, and struggled for about 30 mins trying to figure out why it wouldn't drop into the hole in the dash then i went back to the video....

glad to hear you are enjoying yours too! nice writeup!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Roadtrip Ren
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Vert

Does anyone know if the same upgrade will work on the 428i convertible?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
DantonIzzo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000rrren View Post
If you go on the website, you should be able to tell by entering the year/model of your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
Roadtrip Ren
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you go on the website, you should be able to tell by entering the year/model of your car.
I did go to the website but when I put in convertible it states the upgrade is not available for my bmw at this time. Can the speakers be the different for the Coupe?

Can you tell me the sizes of your speakers?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
DantonIzzo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I did go to the website but when I put in convertible it states the upgrade is not available for my bmw at this time. Can the speakers be the different for the Coupe?

Can you tell me the sizes of your speakers?
Interesting. I would presume that the speakers fit. You may want to call them -- they actually have really good customer support.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #11
Roadtrip Ren
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I would presume that the speakers fit. You may want to call them -- they actually have really good customer support.
When I called them and talked to Cory, He said they were not available and that they would email me when they had more info. I'm not sure I feel comfortable buying them without being sure the size is right.

BTW... the sound was that much better without adding an amp?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
The F32 speakers fit the F33. And replacing the HiFi OEM amp is still the most effective sound upgrade for the cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #13
HiTek
Info-Maniac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The F32 speakers fit the F33. And replacing the HiFi OEM amp is still the most effective sound upgrade for the cost.
Technic, what is the most best bang for the buck/easiest to replace amp I can buy to replace the HiFi OEM amp?
MW 328i Sport/Premium, Cold Weather & Tech Pkgs/Sport Auto. Trans/Variable Sport Steering/Xenons/Park Distance Control/M Performance Black Kidney Grills & Gloss Black Whiskers/Black Gloss roof Wrap/Dinan Exhaust/aFe Intake/JB4 w/ Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTek View Post
Technic, what is the most best bang for the buck/easiest to replace amp I can buy to replace the HiFi OEM amp?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=82
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
Roadtrip Ren
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Technic...

I'm looking to upgrade my hifi system and I understand your recommendation is to change out the amp first. Is replacing the amp a plug and play upgrade or is there wiring to be done. On your first picture it looks like all the wires go into a white thing which I can identify. Also does this amp produce enough bass where a sub is not really needed?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Technic...

I'm looking to upgrade my hifi system and I understand your recommendation is to change out the amp first. Is replacing the amp a plug and play upgrade or is there wiring to be done. On your first picture it looks like all the wires go into a white thing which I can identify. Also does this amp produce enough bass where a sub is not really needed?
The wiring steps are in that link... amp must be connected to the battery.

There is no substitue for a trunk sub. You can get better and louder bass with OEM woofers/SWS-8 and the XD600/6 amp, but it will be never like having a trunk sub.

It is just physically impossible unless you remove both seats and sit in two custom boxes with 12" subs.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
Roadtrip Ren
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There is no substitue for a trunk sub. You can get better and louder bass with OEM woofers/SWS-8 and the XD600/6 amp, but it will be never like having a trunk sub.

It is just physically impossible unless you remove both seats and sit in two custom boxes with 12" subs.
OK...thank you for the info... have a couple more questions...

Does the amp come with the pre-installed HiFi harness plug?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #18
Roadtrip Ren
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Also what is the comparison with the Bavsound and HELIX MS4C-BMW COMPONENT SPEAKER SYSTEM? Your opinion please.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

I sell the harness, you get the amp somewhere.

I would suggest professional install.

Quote:
OK...thank you for the info... have a couple more questions...

Does the amp come with the pre-installed HiFi harness plug?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #20
Roadtrip Ren
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I sell the harness, you get the amp somewhere.

I would suggest professional install.
Why would you suggest a pro for the install?

Last edited by Roadtrip Ren; 04-23-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Why would you suggest a pro for the install?
With all due respect, based on your questions it seems to me as you have done no amp install before.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #22
Roadtrip Ren
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With all due respect, based on your questions it seems to me as you have done no amp install before.
No worries. I didn't take it that way. As a matter of fact I have done installs before. but this is my first bmw and I want to be as informed as possible.

I hope its ok to pick your brain about it so I can make a choice of I want to do it or have someone do it....is that ok?
Appreciate 0