F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > shit driver
Studio RSR

01-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #89
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Reading the Merc B's 'body language' rang alarm bells for me long before the incident took place
Totally agree, the dab of the brakes for no reason was the oh she’s in the wrong lane and she’s going to cut across me moment
Yep.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #90
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
Still waiting for other driver insurance to contact my, so fare no info from them or contact at all.
Response for Wills2 remark, i have dash cam for my assurance, like in this case, my word against other driver, not the way i drive.
All the dash cam shows is poor judgement and awareness from your side doubling down on her poor lane discipline...
      01-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #91
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
All the dash cam shows is poor judgement and awareness from your side doubling down on her poor lane discipline...
90% drivers tap brakes on roundabout and if I would brake for every twat doing it I would be rear ended at least once a day.
I do not have rear camera but gray car which was behind me (over took us after collision) almost went to my back, i heard his tyres squil like pig.

now I'm staying back if i can if any one is on roundabout in front of me and been bib on few time still better than another bump.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #92
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
90% drivers tap brakes on roundabout and if I would brake for every twat doing it I would be rear ended at least once a day.
I do not have rear camera but gray car which was behind me (over took us after collision) almost went to my back, i heard his tyres squil like pig.

now I'm staying back if i can if any one is on roundabout in front of me and been bib on few time still better than another bump.
Bib?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #93
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Bib?
You know what I meant.

checked in highway code and meaning of the sign, it will be more clear about my point, yes?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #94
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Quote:
But at least then it would be 100% not your fault.

It’s more where on the roundabout she taps the brakes, not a logical place for slowing down but more she’s looked at the sat nav and realised she’d messed up
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #95
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:

So there were at least two drivers pushing their luck on that short part of the A6 that day. One was trusting a clearly indecisive driver to do the right thing at a roundabout and the other was tailgating. Sounds like what I could see every 20 minutes or so in Vegas.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:35 AM   #96
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Only safe way to drive is to assume every other bastard is out to get you...

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 2
1 AKY459.00
      01-12-2020, 03:23 AM   #97
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
I think that's pushing probability. You can't argue that you need to avoid braking at roundabouts to be safe and avoid accidents.

And calling people twats for driving that involves braking is rather juvenile. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #98
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consett Mag View Post
I think that's pushing probability. You can't argue that you need to avoid braking at roundabouts to be safe and avoid accidents.

And calling people twats for driving that involves braking is rather juvenile. Sorry!
On dual carriageway with 70 mph speed limit it is normal that drivers slow down for runabouts but then for no obvious reason braking on it... how would you call it?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #99
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 320D Sport Auto

The OP unfortunately is in the wrong. Driving too fast on a roundabout and driving far too aggressively.Should have noticed that the Merc driver was slow and perhaps dithering so should have tucked in behind the Merc if intending to go off at that exit. The Merc driver as others have pointed out was the car in front.
If the OP gets away with 50/50 he will be very lucky!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #100
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

All 50/50 fans will love it, they going for 50/50 (my insurance insisted on this because some how i managed forgot about legal cover-just fucking great, they pointed out this quickly and if i do not agree with them this will be at my own expense).
Now the best part of 50/50:
-other driver turning right from wrong lane(illegal maneuver), not indicating
-my part because i was exiting roundabout from right hand lane and should have been on left hand lane ??WTF?? (apparently it does not apply in this situation even that i was still going main road A6 to A6 dual carriage way because there is no marking on roundabout, arrows on each lane showing direction of travel and sign just before do not count ?????).
All this crap about that I was to fast, overtaking etc it didn't matter for them at all.

When asked where in hay way code is this, answer was because it is runabout and 50/50 what we go for.

Just waiting for letter to confirm all of this bullshit.

Last edited by adam.b; 01-15-2020 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:32 AM   #101
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

It's not that we "love it" it was just inevitable.

Of the two drivers and their chosen routes, you were in the correct lane. Or, certainly in the more appropriate lane compared to the Merc.

But, you hit the other car from behind, on a roundabout (where direction changes are the norm).

The Merc driver was clearly dithering and you were on a bit of a charge.

These late manoeuvres happen every day and you've got to learn to anticipate them.

Insurance companies can be lazy and cynical, because it keeps them busy and premiums are increased for more drivers, so I'd also not be accepting their 50/50 decision as a starting point.

I'd review the dash cam footage with them (the Merc made a right turn on a two lane roundabout, turning across you in the process), the manoeuvre was contrary to the road signs (no right turn exit except for designated vehicles) and specific extracts from the Highway Code (if they support your case), and push them to represent you more vigorously. Bear in mind though that their objectives may be different to yours.

As you have all of this on dash cam footage, why not go and see a private solicitor and get s legal opinion ?

It may all come to nothing. Maybe you were unlucky, but it was an avoidable incident.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
dizzy619446.50
      10-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #102
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick and final update, 100% at fault other driver.
Solicitor after watching dash cam footage asked, how on earth your insurance company agreed to 50/50 in first place?
It took only 7 months but is over.
Appreciate 2
Kal1013105.00
      10-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #103
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Solicitor after watching dash cam footage asked, how on earth your insurance company agreed to 50/50 in first place?
Well done, if only you'd driven with more awareness and not put yourself in that position.

Go on a defensive driving course, it'll save you 7 months of hassle to come out being "right"

BTW I could have had your crash a thousand times but chose to hang back, I know that sounds arsey but it's about avoiding the incident.
      10-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #104
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Quote:
Good.

Although we can argue about whether the incident was avoidable or not on your count, it doesn't take away the fact the other driver was the one who was in the wrong lane, no indication and no blind spot check.

Had the other driver carried out just one of them things it would've been avoided.

The fact she was in the wrong lane isn't the issue (we've all been there), she didn't make other's aware she was.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #105
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well done, if only you'd driven with more awareness and not put yourself in that position.

Go on a defensive driving course, it'll save you 7 months of hassle to come out being "right"

BTW I could have had your crash a thousand times but chose to hang back, I know that sounds arsey but it's about avoiding the incident.
Now, every time when situation looking similar i hang back till the other driver finishes his maneuver, I'm not taking chance. Lesson learned.
99.9% times when someone does not give way or force his way in, I say " go a head, carry on, some day you will meet same type of driver and you will crash"

Drivers looking at you, no space for them, and still trying to push you over to get their way.
Cutting the lanes on roundabouts annoy me the most, that's why i hate Milton Keynes, fast 2 lane roads and plenty of Tit heads.

Still i will say it was impossible to avoid as i was already exiting the roundabout and only way was if i sharply pull to right and ended up on central reservation and hitting kerb and most likely she will driven off.

Last edited by adam.b; 10-17-2020 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:20 AM   #106
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Good result - well done for sticking it out.

I'm a bit late to the party, but being in the RH lane and going straight ahead is 100% acceptable in this case.....even looking at the road gravel at the point of impact shows that this is what others are doing.

As you say, even if you are in the right, there are lessons to be learned. I did an advance motorcycle course - the one thing that sticks in my head was that "after every ride, look back and find the one thing that you would improve on next time".
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:31 AM   #107
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D Xdrive M Sport

There are two particular roundabouts near me, both with 5 exits where I've seen the same manoeuvre the B Class is doing in the clip, lots of times.
It only happens at one specific exit per roundabout.
These roundabouts have very clear lane markings but it makes no difference to some drivers.
When I am at either of these roundabouts, because I've seen it so many times, I always approach and take the left lane when going straight ahead even though the road markings show I could take the middle lane ( 3 on approach at both roundabouts),that way I am not putting myself in the position of the OP because I expect it to happen, if it doesn't happen , great, but if it does, I'm glad I'm positioned where I am and the result is NO accident.

I am pleased it worked out in your favour but you are very fortunate, learn from it and expect everyone to do the opposite of what they are telling you or what you think they should do, that way you're half way to figuring out what they do eventually do.

Anticipate everything, assume nothing, I've found that moto has kept me safe for as long as I can remember.
      10-18-2020, 07:17 AM   #108
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Exactly. Great result.
Honestly laughable reading the comments on here suggesting it's your fault - tp is clearly in the wrong lane and turns across you causing the accident. Sure if you'd completed your Gold RoSPA (sounds like many of this thread have done this or are advanced drivers) perhaps you'd have avoided the collision but that doesn't mean you're to blame for her incompetence.
Appreciate 2
dizzy619446.50
kzg19691299.00
      10-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #109
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Quote:
Exactly. Great result.
Honestly laughable reading the comments on here suggesting it's your fault - tp is clearly in the wrong lane and turns across you causing the accident. Sure if you'd completed your Gold RoSPA (sounds like many of this thread have done this or are advanced drivers) perhaps you'd have avoided the collision but that doesn't mean you're to blame for her incompetence.
Very late to the party here but agree it is the Merc at fault and I don't think anyone was saying it was 100% the OPs fault or anything, just that it could be seen as poor anticipation and if you look closely at the clip, the merc doesn't change their line, albeit the wrong line when going across the roundabout. The patch of resurface work is really a clear indicator here. Generally just a poor place to choose to 'overtake' id say and that lesson has been learnt.

We all have a differing opinion and glad it has worked out in your favour OP.

Regards to the above, defensive driving is a skill and comes with experience. Over 50% of being a half decent driver, probably more, is down to anticipating what other road users will or won't do and adjusting your speed, direction or a combination of both. Most are saying that they would have anticipated the scenario better and avoided the 7 month wait altogether. Was it open and shut case? No idea but the time lapse could indicate that they disputed it.

I'd say driving has got worse in recent months with people just not on the roads much during COVID.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #110
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
I was next to her, damage to her car is on front wing/driver door.

I reckon we will see slot more of these kind of knocks

Round here the local councils have started white lining and signing the roundabouts to allow this type on manoeuvre.