F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Is Diesel on its way out?
ARMA SPEED

10-16-2020, 06:02 AM   #67
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
I remember going on holiday in our Hillman Hunter estate. Dad would put the back seats down, then put myself and brother in and pack everything around us. I can't think why casualties where higher then
Ah! Safety.

Now-a-days an "all singing, all dancing" child safety seat (sorry, 'system'), is the size of a small car of the past.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:03 AM   #68
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Hillman Hunter estate.
Ah, Rootes Group Arrow Range!! British car manufacturing at it's very worst. My father had a Humber Sceptre that was written off at 4 years old after a minor accident because it was rusted out. The body manufacturer used to deliver the bare steel bodies, uncovered, by transporter to the Coventry plant where they'd sit around for awhile before being sprayed over the rust.

I also remember working at a BL dealership in the late 70's when a new Rover SDI was delivered with rust on the sills underneath the wax.

Apologies for the thread hike
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:06 AM   #69
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
I also remember working at a BL dealership in the late 70's when a new Rover SDI was delivered with rust on the sills underneath the wax.

Apologies for the thread hike
Same here, new SDI with rust streaking down the shuts on the rear tailgate, as we prepared the release/demo model. That was BL for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:43 AM   #70
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
Part of the reason for SUV use is that they claim to be bigger than the average family car and the amount of stuff you 'need' to cart round these days with a kid or kids is ridiculous.

We have a 7.5 month old and if we go out for the day (irrespective where), we take the travel cot as he won't nap in the buggy, the buggy obviously, changing bag which is rammed, floor tiles for him to sit on, a large bag of toys for him to play with, a chair for him to sit in so he can be fed the solids.

To be fair, between the boot and the rear of the 330D it fits fine but if we had another old Child and a baby, it would probably be a squeeze. If we need to do a food shop, we have to unload the boot of most things otherwise it doesn't fit.

Do we need all that stuff? Probably not but most of it stays in the car to prevent my Wife having to keep taking it in and out.

How people coped back in the day with the likes of a Mk1 Fiesta I will never know but they did.

These days people take half the house with them, hence their requirement for a bigger car and thus the increase of the SUV.

We recently went to Wales for 5 days in the 330D and took my Nan with us so myself, Wife, baby and Nan. There is absolutely no way on earth we could have done that without a roof box so I can see why people go for the bigger cars, especially if they have multiple kids or do longer journeys where they stay away.
I agree Arthur, if you have 3 kids or more then a large SUV would make life easier but around here the majority of large luxury SUVs like FFRR, Cayenne, Q7 etc are driven by middle age women by themselves with no visible evidence of offspring in sight.

The fact remains large luxury SUVs for many are seen as a status symbol and what really gets my goat is that these are usually the exact same people that witter on about Global Warming.

Not sure how old you are but in the 90s People Carriers were all the rage but you rarely see one now, surely that design of vehicle is far better suited to transporting multiple bodies.

Also not sure why Upper Middle class Arabella needs a 4x4 to cart her single Gucci clad offspring to and from the local Waitrose when she is not even willing to mount a slight grassy verge to let a smaller car through.
Your chip must weigh heavily at times old chap. Anyone that buys a car for status will always have done the same. "Arabella" might be making her only escape of the month from three screaming kids, or might live a life of pampered luxury. But who are we to care or judge?

And three kids are not the sole equation for a seven seater being handy. Number of adults is equally relevant.

People carriers were the butt of petrol head jokes for decades. Now the same type of buyer chooses a SUV, they are slated for buying something that actually appeals to them.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #71
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
I agree Arthur, if you have 3 kids or more then a large SUV would make life easier but around here the majority of large luxury SUVs like FFRR, Cayenne, Q7 etc are driven by middle age women by themselves with no visible evidence of offspring in sight.

The fact remains large luxury SUVs for many are seen as a status symbol and what really gets my goat is that these are usually the exact same people that witter on about Global Warming.

Not sure how old you are but in the 90s People Carriers were all the rage but you rarely see one now, surely that design of vehicle is far better suited to transporting multiple bodies.

Also not sure why Upper Middle class Arabella needs a 4x4 to cart her single Gucci clad offspring to and from the local Waitrose when she is not even willing to mount a slight grassy verge to let a smaller car through.
Says the man driving a sports car that has worse emissions than a giant 3 litre diesel Discovery.

If someone likes a 4 x 4 and wants to buy it because they like the feeling they get from driving it, I don’t see any difference to someone buying an M2 because it is more satisfying and exciting to drive. Arguably you’ll be taking trips just for fun sometimes as well, which is 100% more emissions.

I’m not choosing my cars based on emissions yet and to say anything else would be hypocrisy, and there are very very few on this forum that could say any different.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 10-16-2020 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 4
JustChris17483.00
isleaiw18751.50
sahajesh2294.00
      10-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #72
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

My daughter is Arabella, two kids, branded stuff and often seen driving her SUV alone. And she is having a bigger 7 seat one next time - partly to get me / in laws / friends and kids in car with her when they go places. But mainly as she likes it....

At one time we had two SUVs, one with a V6 petrol, and an M5.... bet I still created more emissions when I was driving my 2.0d Mazda people carrier 35k miles a year (on my own) for work....
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #73
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Oh yes i am certainly as guilty as anyone when it comes down to it, maybe more so.

In 2017 i bought my wife a 90K Range Rover because she 'wanted' it but i can assure you she didnt 'need' it.

I really dont think we can carry on with this level of conspicuous consumption, i have been a really late convert when it comes to Green Issues but even an uneducated Luddite like me can see that we are not going in the right direction.

What is the answer...... I dont know, i am not convinced on EV, emissions might reduce but we are going to rape the planet of resources in producing the things.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #74
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
My daughter is Arabella, two kids, branded stuff and often seen driving her SUV alone. And she is having a bigger 7 seat one next time - partly to get me / in laws / friends and kids in car with her when they go places. But mainly as she likes it....

At one time we had two SUVs, one with a V6 petrol, and an M5.... bet I still created more emissions when I was driving my 2.0d Mazda people carrier 35k miles a year (on my own) for work....
Can we expect to get away with this type of lifestyle much longer though?

Is it right too

My son is the same he 'Lords' it around in my old RR like some sort of celebrity, is the fact he enjoys it justification enough............. it may be now but i expect very soon it will be frowned upon by the majority.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #75
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh yes i am certainly as guilty as anyone when it comes down to it, maybe more so.

In 2017 i bought my wife a 90K Range Rover because she 'wanted' it but i can assure you she didnt 'need' it.

I really dont think we can carry on with this level of conspicuous consumption, i have been a really late convert when it comes to Green Issues but even an uneducated Luddite like me can see that we are not going in the right direction.

What is the answer...... I dont know, i am not convinced on EV, emissions might reduce but we are going to rape the planet of resources in producing the things.
M2C. Porsche on the horizon. Multiple properties.

Trust me, you have not been converted.

I haven't either, just saying.

As for your son 'lording it' in the Range Rover, and fully appreciating that you know him inside out, I'm not sure that the majority of the owners of these vehicles attach the cachet to them that you do.

They're simply cars, there are tens of thousands of them on the road, we're not talking Ferrari here or even AMG G-Wagon.

Again we could talk about 911 drivers 'lording it' and thinking they are special. Some do, some don't. To some a GT3 is a bauble alongside their AP (insert inverted snobbery watch brand of choice), to others it's the best driver's car in their budget. When I saw a well dressed woman climb out of a GT3, I didn't think "lazy lady, rich man's wife" any more than I do when I see Arabella jump out of her RRS. Interesting, btw, that your stereotype of choice in the earlier post was female....

Appreciate 1
Sennen1730.50
      10-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #76
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

As for your son 'lording it' in the Range Rover, and fully appreciating that you know him inside out, I'm not sure that the majority of the owners of these vehicles attach the cachet to them that you do.

They're simply cars, there are tens of thousands of them on the road, we're not talking Ferrari here or even AMG G-Wagon.

Again we could talk about 911 drivers 'lording it' and thinking they are special. Some do, some don't. To some a GT3 is a bauble alongside their AP (insert inverted snobbery watch brand of choice), to others it's the best driver's car in their budget. When I saw a well dressed woman climb out of a GT3, I didn't think "lazy lady, rich man's wife" any more than I do when I see Arabella jump out of her RRS. Interesting, btw, that your stereotype of choice in the earlier post was female....
Crikey Mashin i am flattered you have taken so much interest in me

You will be pleased to know i agree with the majority of what you say
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #77
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Crikey Mashin i am flattered you have taken so much interest in me

You will be pleased to know i agree with the majority of what you say
cracking response, sir. I was just thinking that maybe I was taking things a mite seriously

Appreciate 1
Sennen1730.50
      10-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #78
jenshb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport

Quote:
Interesting on the residuals so did some research for the team. An Audi A6 allroad estate (diesel, list price just under £70k) has a 4 year / 32k residual of £21k, whereas a Volvo V60 Polestar (hybrid, list price somewhere over £63k) has a 4 year / 32k mile residual of £17k. Both are available pre reg at about £50k. One costs £100 more a month than the other, and it isnt the diesel....
Probably because Polestar are taking into account battery degradation...

https://batteryuniversity.com/index...._li_ion_to_die

Last edited by jenshb; 10-16-2020 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #79
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:
so what you are saying is that we should all have EVs and then not use them to save the planet.
Not at all, EVs aren't an answer to anything - I don't think I have ever suggested otherwise. But reducing our overall all consumption of energy is whats required.

I'll happily put my hand up and say just in my first 4 decades of life I've likely consumed more energy/resource than probably 100 people living in the third world, and most of the time that energy has been wasted on purely selfish reasons.

What COVID has certainly shown me is that as a family we dont need to fly abroad for holidays, we barely need to travel beyond county boarders to enjoy life, certainly buying stuff for the sake of it brings very actual pleasure (like the EV for example).

David Attenborough has been saying this for decades, but most of us (my self included) have simply chosen not to listen to it.

Just this week I got a txt from my wife about 'Prime day' and if we needed more stuff.....For once my answer was no....Cutting down car usage has actually been very easy for me, Amazon delivers however is something I really need to work on .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54118769
you overconsumed in first 4 decades and to rectify it bought a model x to park on your drive so that now you can WFH.
you sir and Attenborough are the problem and not the solution and sadly most of us and the public realise it while we have no option but to kowtow to the greta and green politico brigade.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #80
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
you overconsumed in first 4 decades and to rectify it bought a model x to park on your drive so that now you can WFH.
you sir and Attenborough are the problem and not the solution and sadly most of us and the public realise it while we have no option but to kowtow to the greta and green politico brigade.
I honestly have no idea what you are on about. We bought our X nearly 4 years ago, because the alternative was a M5, and I perfed the EV drivetrian. Would I do the same now, not a chance, in fact we don't plan to buy another new car if at all possible.

Surely its better to try and change behaviour at some stage rather than carry on regardless??

As I say action speaks louder than words, the next 12 months will be a true test to see if we can stick to our plan of less waste. So far in the last few months I've managed to get my 2013 MBP repaired rather than get a new one, keeping my S9 rather than get a new phone, even managed to resist getting a new pedal bike replace my current one which is nearly 10 years old.

The big ticket stuff for us though is long haul flights, twice a year was a minimum before and that needs to stop.

Oh, you can bad mouth me I don't care, but dissing Attenborough....sorry that is just ridiculous.

Last edited by gangzoom; 10-16-2020 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #81
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Picking on Greta Thunberg is for the lowest of the low. She is a 17 year old girl with mild Aspergers. Anyone who picks at her causes needs to get a grip. I’d rather she and her causes existed than have a load of kids staring at Xbox’s not giving a fuck.

And as for Attenborough, that’s a new one on me, what’s your problem with him?
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      10-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #82
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Picking on Greta Thunberg is for the lowest of the low. She is a 17 year old girl with mild Aspergers. Anyone who picks at her causes needs to get a grip. I’d rather she and her causes existed than have a load of kids staring at Xbox’s not giving a fuck.

And as for Attenborough, that’s a new one on me, what’s your problem with him?
surely as a mark of respect to her you should not be driving a Q7 and buying a countryman or whatever
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:19 AM   #83
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
surely as a mark of respect to her you should not be driving a Q7 and buying a countryman or whatever
I think you must be misunderstanding her cause if you think she wants us to buy an SUV Mini.

There is a difference between doing all she says and being insulting towards them. Still interested to hear what your dislike of Attenborough is all about?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:04 AM   #84
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
I honestly have no idea what you are on about. We bought our X nearly 4 years ago, because the alternative was a M5, and I perfed the EV drivetrian. Would I do the same now, not a chance, in fact we don't plan to buy another new car if at all possible.

Surely its better to try and change behaviour at some stage rather than carry on regardless??

As I say action speaks louder than words, the next 12 months will be a true test to see if we can stick to our plan of less waste. So far in the last few months I've managed to get my 2013 MBP repaired rather than get a new one, keeping my S9 rather than get a new phone, even managed to resist getting a new pedal bike replace my current one which is nearly 10 years old.

The big ticket stuff for us though is long haul flights, twice a year was a minimum before and that needs to stop.

Oh, you can bad mouth me I don't care, but dissing Attenborough....sorry that is just ridiculous.
You don't plan to buy another new car? Do you really mean plan or aspire to an almost unrealistic goal. For many that might not be feasible due to location and work but good for you if it's the route you are going.
      10-17-2020, 02:49 AM   #85
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Quite! I don't really understand this argument that anyone who has at any point done something environmentally questionable should never do anything to improve. Or weirder that if they change their mind and approach they are a hypocrite!

Like you I have made lots of changes over the last few years. Switching the second car from a 430d to an i3 was just one of them.

My biggest issue is flying all over the place for work. That has obviously stopped now, and I wonder if there will be less call for it in future as a result. In the worst instances I've found myself on a plane to the US for a half hour meeting. This has always been ridiculous, I hope it will now be a thing of the past.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #86
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

MS Teams will probably be the saviour.
      10-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #87
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Buying a car and keeping it years is definitely possible and infinitely more sensible.

A friend of mine has an R plate golf which I think is circa 1997 which he bought new and it is still going strong and he has more money than God!!

As a rough rule of thumb in that timeframe I have probably lost a 1/4 of a mill and that is not including my wifes cars

Frightening when written in black and white and i have to question whether i have had my moneys worth.
Appreciate 3
gangzoom1674.50
G50932.00
      10-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #88
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Well here's one answer to the OP:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/...iesel-power-uk
Appreciate 0