F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > New to BMW, Need Advice on 335xi GT
Extreme Powerhouse

07-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Lux_GT
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Touareg TDI

New to BMW, Need Advice on 335xi GT

Hi Everyone,

I’m considering the purchase of a fully loaded (every option package, included the adaptive M suspension) Lux 2014 335xi GT from CarMax with 20k on the odometer.

While I am not a huge fan of CarMax, I believe this car is priced aggressively when considering all the options.

I have had several German vehicles from Merc and VW, I will be new to BMW. As a result, I am also considering purchasing the a MaxCare or Route 66 warranty package.

From trolling forums, I found the following information, please confirm my understanding is correct:
1.) The Auto Folding/Un-Folding of the door mirrors for Lock/Un-Lock commands is not available to US cars and needs to be programmed.
2.) Currently there is not a method for remotely starting the car, even via the BMW App.

For a few general questions:
1.) I’ve seen some complaints about the interior noise on the GT’s due to the frameless doors. Do have an issue with excessive road noise?
2.) What is the average MPG you get on a 335xi?
3.) How much does BMW’s connected services (BMW App, and SOS feature) cost to renew yearly or when the vehicle warranty has expired?
4.) What are the known issues with the F35, X-drive system, or GT body I should be concerned about?
5.) Would you purchase the 335i again?

I appreciate any information you share.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

I have a 2017 340GT which I factory ordered (did euro delivery) which is essentially the same car except for the updated engine. Answers:

1.) I’ve seen some complaints about the interior noise on the GT’s due to the frameless doors. Do have an issue with excessive road noise? Frameless doors are used on half of the BMW models, not a noise problem.
2.) What is the average MPG you get on a 335xi? Average is mid/upper 20's. Pure highway nearly 32.
3.) How much does BMW’s connected services (BMW App, and SOS feature) cost to renew yearly or when the vehicle warranty has expired? Good till warranty expires. I asked this same question and the dealer said they had no idea.
4.) What are the known issues with the F35, X-drive system, or GT body I should be concerned about? The X-drive system has been around for years, the GT is like any other new 3 series except the chassis is about 6" longer. What is recommended is to change the fluid in the transfer case about every 50K miles, but the system needs to be told using the computer so will reset adaptation values.
5.) Would you purchase the 335i again? Most definitely! But you do realize they will stop making the 3GT at the end of this model run. It looks like the much more expensive 6 GT is it's functional replacement.

If you are going to do custom programming, there are LOTS of things that can be changed. I had it done primarily to enable the anti-dazzle in the LED headlamps which are neutered for the US. I declined most of the offered changes as to me they reduced safety for convenience. But I do very much like it when the radio turns off when I open the door, instead of having it just play away until 15 minutes expires or I lock the car. As I park my cars in a garage I was never a fan of remote starting (and some had manual transmissions).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Lux_GT
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Touareg TDI

Thanks kbsilver!!

This is very helpful information.

I've heard the 3GT wasn't selling well and figured it's lifespan was going to be short. Which is really tragic, this is car offers an amazing package which fits my lifestyle in numerous ways. For example, tts difficult to find a mid-size sport sedan which can accommodate a 6' 4'' driver, and a convertible child car seat behind him.

On Friday, I pickup my 2014 3 GT Lux in Midnight Blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux_GT View Post
I've heard the 3GT wasn't selling well and figured it's lifespan was going to be short.
Rumors of the demise of the 3GT are premature. It will likely be replaced by a 4 series GT, while the 4GC will probably disappear. Estimates are that it will be a 2020 model, with the current 3GT remaining as is until then. The 4GT will likely be offered not only as a hybrid but eventually also as an all electric, with the target demographic being the Tesla 3 market. Sales of the 3GT are relatively soft in North America, but elsewhere it's successful, especially in Germany and China. Considering China has the potential to be the largest market in the world they're not going to dump one of their best sellers there.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Framless doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux_GT View Post
Hi Everyone,

I’m considering the purchase of a fully loaded (every option package, included the adaptive M suspension) Lux 2014 335xi GT from CarMax with 20k on the odometer.

While I am not a huge fan of CarMax, I believe this car is priced aggressively when considering all the options.

I have had several German vehicles from Merc and VW, I will be new to BMW. As a result, I am also considering purchasing the a MaxCare or Route 66 warranty package.

From trolling forums, I found the following information, please confirm my understanding is correct:
1.) The Auto Folding/Un-Folding of the door mirrors for Lock/Un-Lock commands is not available to US cars and needs to be programmed.
2.) Currently there is not a method for remotely starting the car, even via the BMW App.

For a few general questions:
1.) I’ve seen some complaints about the interior noise on the GT’s due to the frameless doors. Do have an issue with excessive road noise?
2.) What is the average MPG you get on a 335xi?
3.) How much does BMW’s connected services (BMW App, and SOS feature) cost to renew yearly or when the vehicle warranty has expired?
4.) What are the known issues with the F35, X-drive system, or GT body I should be concerned about?
5.) Would you purchase the 335i again?

I appreciate any information you share.

Thanks,
I've had frameless doors since 1994 on 6 BMWs including this one and it was never a noise problem. When you close the door the window moves up into the top and makes a tight seal.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
[QUOTE=kbsilver;21969469]I have a 2017 340GT which I factory ordered (did euro delivery) which is essentially the same car except for the updated engine. Answers:

[/COLOR]5.) Would you purchase the 335i again? Most definitely! But you do realize they will stop making the 3GT at the end of this model run. It looks like the much more expensive 6 GT is it's functional replacement.

The news mags are saying the 3 and the 4 series will be combined into a 4 gt not a 6 GT.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
The news mags are saying the 3 and the 4 series will be combined into a 4 gt not a 6 GT.
The new 6GT replaces the current 5GT.
Appreciate 0