F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > shit driver
Extreme Powerhouse

10-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #67
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Remapped car, ACS springs but always drives within the letter of the law it seems...
Yeah, and I’m Father Christmas!! Oh to be perfect eh?! It must be tough at the top.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18769.50
      10-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #68
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I am normally driving a mini so it’s ok.

I so wish I was perfect and never did anything wrong when behind the wheel. Just like some on here...

Or maybe I am big enough and aware of my own failings enough to know I have faults - and of course being aware is the first part of managing them!

800k miles in my life. One fault accident - when I left the drive through a queue of stationary traffic and was hit by a motorbike driving down the middle of the road who I couldn’t see through the van who waved me out.

One day I will be as perfect as you though...
I think I was bit harsh on you since you drive a mini.
800k with one fault accident is not perfect. But as you said knowing your faults is a good start.

Tip.
Remember no one likes a space invader....
;l
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #69
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
So the third party is not only in the wrong lane for where they're going, also fails to indicate, but somehow the OP should be psychic and react in what, .1 of a second to dodge her crappy driving?? Assuming the OP should be eye-balling the other car the entire time rather than actually looking where they were going. Even if the OP start to slow down thinking hold on she might be not going straight, she'd have still likely swiped the front of his car.
Load of arm-chair critics here, third party 100% to blame.
OP in the correct lane (straight on) third party in the incorrect lane no signalling and immediately prior to the collision can be seen starting to come across into the path AND into the lane of the OP. Given the third party even admitted they were trying to go right this should be open and shut for the insurers
You sound surprised that people suggest looking at other cars while driving. Which is odd.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:00 AM   #70
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
You sound surprised that people suggest looking at other cars while driving. Which is odd.
Very much so, these roundabouts are great place to have a crash, there is one outside of Harlow on the A414 near the A10 and it's perfect for this kind of fuckwittery, 5 exits some double laned some not, roundabout is double laned the amount of times I've had to "go around" because someone is in the outer lane going all the way, if I hadn't been watching their position and wheel angle I'd have gone into them or vice versa.

Far too many people think it's ok to have a crash but be "right" they need to read the HWC, I don't care who is at fault as I make sure I'm in a position to mitigate the incorrect positioning of their car, obviously sometimes we're all a bit like that (make mistakes whilst driving) but again if I find myself in the wrong lane I accept that I'll have to stay there and do a detour if it's not safe or advisable to move.

If you're going to barrel on to a roundabout (and I do) you need to be observant and be prepared to give way (just like the HWC tells us) nothing in the HWC gives you the right of way only that in certain situations you must giveway and you must always giveway to avoid an accident.

Last edited by Wills2; 10-21-2019 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
GMT23427.50
NISFAN3488.50
      10-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #71
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Quote:
So the third party is not only in the wrong lane for where they're going, also fails to indicate, but somehow the OP should be psychic and react in what, .1 of a second to dodge her crappy driving?? Assuming the OP should be eye-balling the other car the entire time rather than actually looking where they were going. Even if the OP start to slow down thinking hold on she might be not going straight, she'd have still likely swiped the front of his car.
OP in the correct lane (straight on) third party in the incorrect lane no signalling and immediately prior to the collision can be seen starting to come across into the path AND into the lane of the OP. Given the third party even admitted they were trying to go right this should be open and shut for the insurers
From the (probably) silent comfort of their armchairs whilst concentrating on nothing else and rewatching the video multiple times frame-by-frame.
It's easy to judge from such a position take the high ground and say the OP should have done xyz, when in the real world a split second look at something else or maybe just not woken up had your morning coffee or singing to the radio and that accident occurs.

Yes sure let's analyse the Highway Code word for word and find in fact, we all - unsurprisingly - have an obligation not to play bumper cars. By when the TP carries out such a daft manoeuvre it seems particularly cold to start laying so much blame at the OPs feet in my opinion.

If you all drive as defensively as you are making out I'm surprised you make any progress at all. You'd be forever almost stopping midway round a roundabout to make sure Doris doesn't decide to wander over - I mean that is what we're suggesting here, the OP shouldn't have proceeded (in the correct lane for which he was established and had right of way) across before waiting to check what the TP was doing first?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #72
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Still waiting for the other driver insurance company response, it looks like she did not contacted them what so ever.
Reading some responses no wonder accidents/collisions like this happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #73
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
Still waiting for the other driver insurance company response, it looks like she did not contacted them what so ever.
Very curious what the decision will be. Have your insurer said anything after viewing the footage?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #74
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

shit driver

Whilst I agree that the Mercedes was in the wrong lane for what may have been its final exit, that argument is a red-herring.

Having reviewed the video:

Firstly, in the absence of lane markings you should be more alert of your position and of those around you, especially when you can see, if you have been observant, that a car hasn't taken an exit that it should have done.

The TP may have begun to encroach, but the TP vehicle was clearly visible to the nearside of the OP's vehicle. Yet, just prior to the contact, the OP's vehicle veers to the left, more so than the TP veering to its right. This is quite apparent if you use the bonnet centre line (or the point at which the bonnet front edge meets the rear-view mirror housing) as a reference point and compare it to the offside kerb.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #75
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
From the (probably) silent comfort of their armchairs whilst concentrating on nothing else and rewatching the video multiple times frame-by-frame.
It's easy to judge from such a position take the high ground and say the OP should have done xyz, when in the real world a split second look at something else or maybe just not woken up had your morning coffee or singing to the radio and that accident occurs.

Yes sure let's analyse the Highway Code word for word and find in fact, we all - unsurprisingly - have an obligation not to play bumper cars. By when the TP carries out such a daft manoeuvre it seems particularly cold to start laying so much blame at the OPs feet in my opinion.

If you all drive as defensively as you are making out I'm surprised you make any progress at all. You'd be forever almost stopping midway round a roundabout to make sure Doris doesn't decide to wander over - I mean that is what we're suggesting here, the OP shouldn't have proceeded (in the correct lane for which he was established and had right of way) across before waiting to check what the TP was doing first?
I didn't need to analyse it frame by frame. The geezer piled onto a roundabout too quick and didn't leave any room for manoeuvre. Literally.

Could happen to any of us - no one is armchair commentating. Simply giving views on a video of the incident which is what the OP asked for (by virtue of posting same).
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2019, 01:43 AM   #76
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't need to analyse it frame by frame. The geezer piled onto a roundabout too quick and didn't leave any room for manoeuvre. Literally.

Could happen to any of us - no one is armchair commentating. Simply giving views on a video of the incident which is what the OP asked for (by virtue of posting same).
This is what I thought to. One viewing, ouch that's too quick. It's quite clear that the Merc driver could easily be unaware of the OP appearing in that lane, the opposite is not true as the OP has a clear view.

I've certainly been guilty of the same thing and have had to bale out and go around. Sometimes over confidence in our own cars and knowledge of the situation puts us in the path of other's mistakes.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2019, 02:22 AM   #77
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
Plenty of us manage to avoid them though, unlike your good self, I can't help but wonder how much your dash cam contributes to the way you drive and the resultant crash...
      01-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #78
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Still waiting for other driver insurance to contact my, so fare no info from them or contact at all.
Response for Wills2 remark, i have dash cam for my assurance, like in this case, my word against other driver, not the way i drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #79
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
I've just read most of the above thread , and I do feel the need to add this . !!!
keep away from Norfolk !! it's full of shit drivers of all age groups .
most have no comprehension of how to use indicators , roundabouts , lanes etc and think it's ok to double park and to park on double yellows, and all manner of other pig ignorant misdemeanours .
take my advice keep away .
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      01-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #80
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Looking at the dash cam footage I'd say a lot of the responsibility lies with you.

You clearly approached the roundabout at a far higher speed than the cars in front of you and the cars already using the roundabout.

The Merc appears to be going quite slowly and is somewhat hesitant in its choice of direction. Its lane change was slow and easy to see in advance - it didn't make any sudden manoeuvres and you may have been in the driver's blind spot.

Technically it was in the wrong lane and should have been indicating right. Even so, the driver of the faster car (you were the overtaking vehicle) must have their wits about them and preempt what could happen next. You didn't do that.

I'm no angel, but if you're going to go fast you've go to be focussed.

If the footage gets used I think you'd do well to get a 50:50. You hit the Merc when approaching from behind - if you'd been alongside the Merc, driving at the same speed, and it turned across you then it'd be a different situation.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
      01-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #81
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT "Beast"

Nice signal! Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:56 AM   #82
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I've just watched the footage from the dash cam .
it is my understanding from the highway code that if you are exiting the roundabout at the 3rd exit is turning right you should be in the right hand lane approaching the roundabout unless there are road markings stating otherwise .
my verdict is the black Merc driver needs to be more aware of their destination and use the correct lane .
this is a very common observation and occurance in previously stated county , see my former post .
defensive driving and sixth sense of what idiots on the road may or may not do .is the key .
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #83
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

This is 2-lane 70mph road and main road goes straight a head, both lines marked as to go straight. Right turn is only for buses and local traffic, the clip recording starts just after sign.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #84
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Merc driver wants shooting !!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #85
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Happy New Year to you all.
First and foremost, the overtaking vehicle has to justify their actions. At a junction or roundabout there is heightened danger so one has to be even more certain it is safe to pass. Hindsight says it wasn't!

Idiot Merc driver was staggeringly unaware and does need shooting but I reckon the ins will come down at best 50/50 and at worst against you, the overtaking vehicle. As has been said, if you'd been ahead it would be her fault. Side by side maybe 50/50 or still her fault but you are behind going quicker. Soz but I think it might be wise to destroy that footage and hope for 50/50 settlement.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #86
ukblade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive

Judging by the amount of gravel on roundabout leading off to the "straight On", there's not many vehicles in the left lane that go right.
Easy for me to criticize with 35 years of riding bikes but really just wrong place, wrong time, unlucky.
      01-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #87
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I do exactly what the OP does in similar situations.....

....except for one key critical point, if I'm potentially crossing another vehicles path in exiting the roundabout, I hang back until I am sure the vehicle on the outside is also exiting (and indeed exiting and staying in the LH lane on the other side). If not I'd have literally had hundreds of exact same collisions in my life.
Reading the Merc B's 'body language' rang alarm bells for me long before the incident took place, so IMO should not have resulted in a collision, regardless of the TP driving contrary to the HC.

Difficult one, but luckily no one hurt.
Appreciate 4
Watsey6414.00
GMT23427.50
1 AKY459.00
      01-03-2020, 07:05 AM   #88
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Reading the Merc B's 'body language' rang alarm bells for me long before the incident took place
Totally agree, the dab of the brakes for no reason was the oh she’s in the wrong lane and she’s going to cut across me moment
Appreciate 1