F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
Studio RSR

09-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #727
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post

Go for what you really want. Personally I'd also keep the old Trek if you can wing having three .You may get into Zwift (some of the smart trainers now look brilliant) it would be an ideal spare should the e bike have a mechanical and of course it could be the winter bike if you wanted to keep the Domain out of the muck and salt.
I've got 2 bikes - road and MTB

Wife (very good triathlete) has 4 !

MTB
TT
Road bike
Road bike (winterised)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #728
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Quote:

Go for what you really want. Personally I'd also keep the old Trek if you can wing having three .You may get into Zwift (some of the smart trainers now look brilliant) it would be an ideal spare should the e bike have a mechanical and of course it could be the winter bike if you wanted to keep the Domain out of the muck and salt.
I've got 2 bikes - road and MTB

Wife (very good triathlete) has 4 !

MTB
TT
Road bike
Road bike (winterised)
The correct number of bikes to have is n+1, where n = the number of bikes you currently own.

My progress thread
Appreciate 4
robbiep1982.50
Ennoch2257.00
      09-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #729
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Made the most of whats likely the sunniest day we'll see for a while....Took the long way home, very happy I seem to be back to my old fitness from 2013. Next summer will hopefully get fitter.

Regardless what bike your on there is no better way to appreciate the roads around the British B road

Appreciate 3
robbiep1982.50
RhysoTDI180.50
      09-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #730
JayR328i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 328i Touring (Luxury)

Garage List
2013 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Made the most of whats likely the sunniest day we'll see for a while....Took the long way home, very happy I seem to be back to my old fitness from 2013. Next summer will hopefully get fitter.

Regardless what bike your on there is no better way to appreciate the roads around the British B road

Good stuff, I was out today in the blustery headwinds! It was tough and cold!!!!

Would anyone be interested in joining a strava club i created for us BimmerMamils?

https://www.strava.com/clubs/749318?oq=what%20
Appreciate 1
gangzoom1685.00
      09-27-2020, 01:44 AM   #731
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR328i View Post
Quote:

Good stuff, I was out today in the blustery headwinds! It was tough and cold!!!!

Would anyone be interested in joining a strava club i created for us BimmerMamils?

Nice idea...and the name haha. Like it.

I'm barely riding these days, only even out a handful of times on the new bike but I'll be there at times.
      09-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #732
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Just joined, first club in Strave too .

Was out on the hybrid eBike today, far too much wind for a road bike with carbon rim brakes!!

Bought some Ultegra brakes (upgrading from asymmetrical to symmetrical dual pivots), Ultegra crank set for the road bike, also booked in for a full service. Hopefully some nicer weather will be around over the winter for the road bike to get an outing, otherwise the 35mm tyres/disc brakes/mud guards/15kg+ wind resistant weight/'bomb proof' wheels on the hybrid is much better suited for winter.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #733
JayR328i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2013 328i  [0.00]
My mate decided we should have a local segment challenge earlier this week. We were umming and ahhing about the weather and ended up going out on solo rides. It was my bright idea to suggest a segment "Bill and Kev's excellent adventure". I had 47 seconds over his PR so I thought this would be a good challenge! Well I did my ride and got a PR 17+ faster than my previous. My mate goes out and then does the same segment over a minute faster than me
The really interesting thing is how the analysis in strava tracks your times and you can see where the time was made and lost. I find it all fascinating studying the graphs. Not sure im getting near his PR anytime soon, but it was good fun dueling over segments.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayR328i; 10-03-2020 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Add image
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
gangzoom1685.00
      10-04-2020, 02:13 AM   #734
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
My mate decided we should have a local segment challenge earlier this week. We were umming and ahhing about the weather and ended up going out on solo rides. It was my bright idea to suggest a segment "Bill and Kev's excellent adventure". I had 47 seconds over his PR so I thought this would be a good challenge! Well I did my ride and got a PR 17+ faster than my previous. My mate goes out and then does the same segment over a minute faster than me
The really interesting thing is how the analysis in strava tracks your times and you can see where the time was made and lost. I find it all fascinating studying the graphs. Not sure im getting near his PR anytime soon, but it was good fun dueling over segments.
Easy. You just burnt yourself out taking that early lead over the first lumpy bit of road. Pace yourself better and you'll take him on the bigger climbs

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 03:20 AM   #735
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nice.

Any traffic, sometime just a single hold at a junction can put a good 30s on with starting and stopping.

Get some short hill repeats in and 'try' to hold 1 gear higher than normal. So few weeks training specifically at 3/4 mile pace, segment looks about 5 miles, virtually a bike sprint. 30/40/50 mile rides not going to add much here.

Good 3-4 days rest with stretching.

Take some Pre Workout.
Empty the bike of everything, it's 5 miles, no drink either.
Ride at your strongest time one weekend, maybe 2-4pm avoiding the usual early morning ride when actually most are a little under nourished.

If close he's the Garmin off the bike and throw it the last 50 yards.

Collapse. Glory.

#smash
      10-04-2020, 06:06 AM   #736
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Well I would have been out for ride by now, but decided it cannot that hard to get install the new symmetrical dual pivot Ultegra brakes installed before testing them in the wet.....

Sadly once again I failed to remember just because it looks easy on YouTube doesn't mean I can do it

So currently my road bike has brake, but they don't work at all......Am too embarrassed to take it to a shop (even Halfords), have just ordered some new cables and I needed some new bar tape anyways after the crash earlier this years as there is a rip inthe current one. Yes that's my excuse to my wife for expecting more random bike stuff.....New bar tape needs fitting before I go out, not because I broke the bike whilst trying to do something my self.

'Did you break it??' was the first thing she asked me when she saw me sitting on the sofa after coming in from the garage

Last edited by gangzoom; 10-04-2020 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #737
JayR328i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2013 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well I would have been out for ride by now, but decided it cannot that hard to get install the new symmetrical dual pivot Ultegra brakes installed before testing them in the wet.....

Sadly once again I failed to remember just because it looks easy on YouTube doesn't mean I can do it

So currently my road bike has brake, but they don't work at all......Am too embarrassed to take it to a shop (even Halfords), have just ordered some new cables and I needed some new bar tape anyways after the crash earlier this years as there is a rip inthe current one. Yes that's my excuse to my wife for expecting more random bike stuff.....New bar tape needs fitting before I go out, not because I broke the bike whilst trying to do something my self.

'Did you break it??' was the first thing she asked me when she saw me sitting on the sofa after coming in from the garage

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...dd8a020c_h.jpg[/img]
We've all been there, cuppa tea, plate of digestives and all is right in the world!

Speaking of random bike stuff turning up (or click and collected). If anyone needs a turbo tyre Argos have an elite one in their clearance section @18.99.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7544624

This weather is here for the long haul by the looks of it. So I might see you on zwift! Haha
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
gangzoom1685.00
      10-04-2020, 06:42 AM   #738
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...dd8a020c_h.jpg[/img]
We've all been there, cuppa tea, plate of digestives and all is right in the world!

Speaking of random bike stuff turning up (or click and collected). If anyone needs a turbo tyre Argos have an elite one in their clearance section @18.99.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7544624

This weather is here for the long haul by the looks of it. So I might see you on zwift! Haha
Good point about the weather.

I've been on zwift a lot recently. Looks like I will be indoors for the foreseeable. But am finding I'm using it a lot while working at home. Jumping on for a quick hour session during the day is giving me a good break and mentally helping me!!!
Appreciate 2
gangzoom1685.00
      10-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #739
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:

Nice one. Have your ordered the outer cables as well, best to change both at the same time. Likewise gear cables.

I double tape the bars, makes it far more comfortable. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #740
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:

Less of the Mamil bit! Then again, I'm not sure I belong in a club for roadies when my road bike has amassed less than 1000 miles since it arrived back in 2012! It's still 10spd, and on the original tyres and tubes although how long they'll last before dry rotting is anyone's guess.

Edit; I just checked. My road bike total is actually under 700km! I'm way more of a mountain biker, predominantly steep trails, but I enjoy long distance stuff too. I just don't particularly enjoy riding on roads where there are lots of cars. I enjoyed it a lot in lockdown when traffic was lighter but given the choice I'll always pick dirt to ride on!

Last edited by Ennoch; 10-04-2020 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:29 AM   #741
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:

sods law of any maintenance, if the job looks easy something else is going to break or need to be replaced during the job.

If you're fitting new brakes i'd recommend this little tool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-...8PFTRM8VFG51M0

Used with a cable tensioner, you can get the blocks setup right first time and not have to worry about the tension adjuster when your pads are 5mm away from the rim.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #742
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Am sticking to the real road.....Had these lovely items on today for the commute

Appreciate 2
Ridg205.00
      10-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #743
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Sorted the brakes, gone are old 105 and unbranded....

Lovely new Shimano symmetrical dual pivots.

Will try them out tomorrow, might give servicing the DuraAce wheel hubs this weekend.....Might get it wrong but still cheaper than spending £3k+ on a new bike

Appreciate 1
Ridg205.00
      10-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #744
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Away she goes for winter.

Fastest bike I've been on, I'm a huge let down to the side on this thing! Average about 25mph on the flat but my lard arse climbing slows it.

The stack is ridiculous at the front I know but it was comfy. I'll take about 3 layers off that but won't be slamming it. My back is to inflexible recently haha.

Cannot wait for next summer, this was just playtime, weight training awaits and then let's see.
Attached Images

Ennoch2257.00
      10-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #745
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Away she goes for winter.

Fastest bike I've been on, I'm a huge ket down to the side of this thing! Average about 25moh on the flat and it only my lard arse climbing that slows it.

The stack is ridiculous at the front I know but it was comfy. I'll take about 3 layers off that but won't be slamming it. Backs to old haha.

Cannot wait for a next summer, this was just playtime, weight training awaits and then let's see.
Lovely!

This post just makes me want to upgrade my bike even more!!!

Been doing quite a bit of cycling since lockdown and now have my bike on wahoo kickr trainer (which I'm loving!). Rattling up a few miles!

Current bike is bottom end - 2019 Giant Escape 3 hybrid. Looked to upgrade in summer - but stocks were really low.

Bikes now coming back in stock. Set myself max budget of £1.5k. As I have a dodgy back and lung pain from previous illness, I'm liking the more upright position.

Like the look of the Giant FastRoad SL1. Looking for something which is lighter and wider gear ratios.

Any recommendations appreciated! But, please bear budget in mind - I'm not as fit as quite a few of you on here!!!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      10-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #746
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post

Been doing quite a bit of cycling since lockdown and now have my bike on wahoo kickr trainer (which I'm loving!). Rattling up a few miles!
Do you recommend ? I've been using an old Tacx dumb trainer for years in conjunction with sufferfest / youtube vids. Its about bearable in the boredom stakes but I'm thinking now might be the time to upgrade to a smart trainer.

The KickR core was on my list, just need a push.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      10-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #747
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you recommend ? I've been using an old Tacx dumb trainer for years in conjunction with sufferfest / youtube vids. Its about bearable in the boredom stakes but I'm thinking now might be the time to upgrade to a smart trainer.

The KickR core was on my list, just need a push.
Do I recommend...100% yes!!!

It's not cheap and you really need a Zwift subscription (£13 pm) as well.

I had been looking at a non smart trainer but my very keen cyclist neighbour pointed me in direction of Kickr Snap - rear wheel stays on and (only!) £429!!!

I was a bit unsure about it all but his enthusiasm won me over.

I have it set up in garage (with WiFi extended through powerline) my MacBook links to the trainer and heart rate monitor. Sometimes I will also have a film on to keep my mind off the pain!

It may not be everyone's cup of tea...but I'm enjoying it. Especially working from home. I'm really enjoying it and it all becomes addictive.

I would highly recommend it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I've attached some pics to help. I've tidied the cables up now!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
JR16641146.50
      10-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #748
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do I recommend...100% yes!!!

It's not cheap and you really need a Zwift subscription (£13 pm) as well.

I had been looking at a non smart trainer but my very keen cyclist neighbour pointed me in direction of Kickr Snap - rear wheel stays on and (only!) £429!!!

I was a bit unsure about it all but his enthusiasm won me over.

I have it set up in garage (with WiFi extended through powerline) my MacBook links to the trainer and heart rate monitor. Sometimes I will also have a film on to keep my mind off the pain!

It may not be everyone's cup of tea...but I'm enjoying it. Especially working from home. I'm really enjoying it and it all becomes addictive.

I would highly recommend it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I've attached some pics to help. I've tidied the cables up now!
Thats brilliant. I guess my main question is do you find you get motivation cycling with 'other's online. How much does that help. Out on the road If I see someone ahead I find myself naturally working harder to catch them, just wondering how much this raises the Interest level with others around you on Zwift.

Here's my current winter set up. I have a TV opposite so chromecast youtube vids from my phone. I'm thinking I might need something more techy for Zwift, Apple TV gets mentioned. I'm not sure I'll be able to chromecast from the phone....oh yeah the towel ...I also have a fan opposite.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
Rbrown2765.50