F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
GetBMWParts

10-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #793
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
If you're going clipless various options I guess. As mentioned above Shimano SPD is a way to go as its easier to walk around although not a dedicated road show per se (I have all four bikes shod with Shimano SPD M520's..including two road bikes. ).. loads of roadies use them(not the weight weenies )
After pulling the road bike out for the first time in four years during lockdown I was still using the old Shimano PDM747's on it which had been my turbo trainer pedals - I found that the smaller pedals were putting pressure on the ball of my foot, although I'll concede that may have been down to the age of the shoes (circa 2000 Nike's!) too. Anyway, I put a spare set of Crank Bros Mallet DH pedals on there with a decent platform to alleviate the foot pain - so don't any of you lot complain about the weight of the M520's, I just about doubled the weight of the bike with the Mallets!!
Appreciate 2
JR16641146.50
Rbrown2765.50
      10-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #794
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
After pulling the road bike out for the first time in four years during lockdown I was still using the old Shimano PDM747's on it which had been my turbo trainer pedals - I found that the smaller pedals were putting pressure on the ball of my foot, although I'll concede that may have been down to the age of the shoes (circa 2000 Nike's!) too. Anyway, I put a spare set of Crank Bros Mallet DH pedals on there with a decent platform to alleviate the foot pain - so don't any of you lot complain about the weight of the M520's, I just about doubled the weight of the bike with the Mallets!!
Ha.. brilliant ...biggest weight weenie of the lot here
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Rbrown2765.50
Ennoch2257.00
gangzoom1685.00
      10-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #795
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ha.. brilliant ...biggest weight weenie of the lot here
Given the number of bin bags there I'm assuming it isn't so much washing you've got hanging up there and more a wet trip?!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #796
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Given the number of bin bags there I'm assuming it isn't so much washing you've got hanging up there and more a wet trip?!
Indeedy. Spain back to the UK having just done a rain sodden Pyrenees... no matter how hard you try, it all gets damp and minging. The sacks are rubble sacks, linings for the panniers. Easier to pull out and lob in the tent in a hurry.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:30 AM   #797
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Indeedy. Spain back to the UK having just done a rain sodden Pyrenees... no matter how hard you try, it all gets damp and minging. The sacks are rubble sacks, linings for the panniers. Easier to pull out and lob in the tent in a hurry.
Wow, that's some ride, the Pyrenees are a long way from the UK, even the southern bit of it! How long were you on the go for?

It's a while since I've ridden with panniers as I tend to do shorter 50-60 mile rides where even if it's an overnighter you can go light. Longer trips tend to be on foot. But yeah, even with ortleib panniers it's still easier to have things in bags so you can lift them out and leave the filthy outer bag outside the tent. You soon get your systems sorted out on longer trips or in bad weather!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #798
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
11 days, 760 miles. There's a quick write up amongst some of my other rides in the list at the bottom of the link .The longest was down to the Swiss border and back via the Rhine, I think that was 1500 miles. Any longer and I'll be coming back to an empty house

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/dire...user=Iain1&v=9
140 miles in a day with a fully loaded bike...bloody hell! Fair play too, they look like some fantastic trips through the bits of Europe a lot of people miss, even in the bad weather. I can sympathise, I had seasons where every single race I did in Europe was bad weather and the equivalent race in the UK saw people getting sunburnt!
Appreciate 2
JR16641146.50
      10-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #799
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
140 miles in a day with a fully loaded bike...bloody hell! Fair play too, they look like some fantastic trips through the bits of Europe a lot of people miss, even in the bad weather. I can sympathise, I had seasons where every single race I did in Europe was bad weather and the equivalent race in the UK saw people getting sunburnt!
You raced abroad ? Nice one, any decent stories to add to the thread ? Just love the enthusiasm on here, probably the last place to find a cycling thread
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
      10-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #800
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You raced abroad ? Nice one, any decent stories to add to the thread ? Just love the enthusiasm on here, probably the last place to find a cycling thread
Yeah, I raced downhill pretty seriously for a good few years - started as a kid in 1998 and the last downhill one I did was back in 2013 after something like 350 races. I've done a few enduros since then but they just aren't the same, way too many middle aged men with too much money who think the trails are too difficult. I'd rather just go out and ride my own steep stuff if I'm not in with a shout of the podium! I used to race in elite, did a load of Europeans and some World Cups over the years, and was a staff writer for Pinkbike too, but then got ill and just lost the love of it all so stepped back from racing and writing and just ride bikes and get out climbing a lot now. I just don't enjoy downhill in the way I used to and actually prefer more time on the bike rather than waiting on chairlifts or in the back of uplift trucks, so just ride the one bike most of the time and ride steep shit. The steeper, slicker, rootier and rockier the better which is what I always used to enjoy. I've hit some massive jumps (65ft) and drops (30ft) in my time but it was always something I needed to force myself to do, it's the technical stuff that really gets me going. I do have a couple of hardtails though which I just love riding. One is a Cove Stiffee which I've done about 10k km on and the other is an old mid-nineties Trek steel thing with a pannier rack for getting into the hills.

Lots of daft stories from the travels and racing, although most of it was just having amazing trips away with some great mates, living out of vans in random mountain carparks and riding some great trails. 2010 I did 35 races including 8 back to back European races while still working a 9-5 job (and driving out to Germany and Switzerland each weekend from Scotland), another was crashing so hard in qualifying in Croatia that I was pissing blood all night but not wanting to go to the local hospital so just carried on and raced the following day, or having a mate break his wrist and getting carted off to hospital in Bulgaria. When we went to collect him that night he was getting drunk on vodka with the doctor who'd straightened him out. Being bullied into cliff jumping out in Canada was another one, the biggest we did was about 60ft. That trip I almost crashed into a bear too. Yeah, good times...

This is some of the stuff I did for Pinkbike -
Articles: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/cloverleaf/blog/
Pics (mainly by my dad): https://www.pinkbike.com/u/cloverleaf/album

Last edited by Ennoch; 10-21-2020 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 4
JR16641146.50
Bibbles778.50
      10-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #801
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I raced downhill pretty seriously for a good few years - started as a kid in 1998 and the last downhill one I did was back in 2013 after something like 350 races. I've done a few enduros since then but they just aren't the same, way too many middle aged men with too much money who think the trails are too difficult. I'd rather just go out and ride my own steep stuff if I'm not in with a shout of the podium! I used to race in elite, did a load of Europeans and some World Cups over the years, and was a staff writer for Pinkbike too, but then got ill and just lost the love of it all so stepped back from racing and writing and just ride bikes and get out climbing a lot now. I just don't enjoy downhill in the way I used to and actually prefer more time on the bike rather than waiting on chairlifts or in the back of uplift trucks, so just ride the one bike most of the time and ride steep shit. The steeper, slicker, rootier and rockier the better which is what I always used to enjoy. I've hit some massive jumps (65ft) and drops (30ft) in my time but it was always something I needed to force myself to do, it's the technical stuff that really gets me going. I do have a couple of hardtails though which I just love riding. One is a Cove Stiffee which I've done about 10k km on and the other is an old mid-nineties Trek steel thing with a pannier rack for getting into the hills.

Lots of daft stories from the travels and racing, although most of it was just having amazing trips away with some great mates, living out of vans in random mountain carparks and riding some great trails. 2010 I did 35 races including 8 back to back European races while still working a 9-5 job (and driving out to Germany and Switzerland each weekend from Scotland), another was crashing so hard in qualifying in Croatia that I was pissing blood all night but not wanting to go to the local hospital so just carried on and raced the following day, or having a mate break his wrist and getting carted off to hospital in Bulgaria. When we went to collect him that night he was getting drunk on vodka with the doctor who'd straightened him out. Being bullied into cliff jumping out in Canada was another one, the biggest we did was about 60ft. That trip I almost crashed into a bear too. Yeah, good times...

This is some of the stuff I did for Pinkbike -
Articles: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/cloverleaf/blog/
Pics (mainly by my dad): https://www.pinkbike.com/u/cloverleaf/album
Ha, thats brilliant. Nerves of steel, fair play mate. My mate does Enduro but with an engine

Love those links, there's a fair bit of reading there and great pics.
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
      10-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #802
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ha, thats brilliant. Nerves of steel, fair play mate. My mate does Enduro but with an engine

Love those links, there's a fair bit of reading there and great pics.
Cheers! It's strange looking back as it was all 'normal' because I was doing so much of it. It's still nice to have the memories though. I'd forgotten how much stuff I did on PB too, some races I'd definitely not remembered. The Mega though is one I will definitely go back to do; it's so miserable and so much fun all in one go. I've done it a few times along with the Mountain of Hell over the other side of the valley. The Mega is about 2000 people all in, split into four races after qualifying, and the Mountain of Hell is just 700 people all lined up on the glacier in one go. I've got unsettled business with both! I lost a chain from sitting top 20 at the MoH last time and then the Mega I'm not sure I want to go back unless I can improve on my previous run of 100th, then 75th, then 50th. My fitness has gone and I'm older, which means I'm more sensible when it comes to hitting nearly 70mph on snow with the elbows out!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #803
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Hoping to pick up my new wheels at the end of the week.

Not sure if this has come up before...but any recommendations for cycling shoes (entry level please!).

Current bike is old school with toe clips....thinking of getting more up to date.....

Thanks
If you're going clipless various options I guess. As mentioned above Shimano SPD is a way to go as its easier to walk around although not a dedicated road show per se (I have all four bikes shod with Shimano SPD M520's..including two road bikes. ).. loads of roadies use them(not the weight weenies )

For shoes, I've have DHB's from wiggle, both pairs have lasted over a decade, they've probably gone beyond entry level nowadays depending on budget. I'm lucky in the shoe size but good advice about trying some on.
Quick update.

Collected the bike today and went down the mountain bike pedal route. Wasn't really aware this was an option! Shimano SPD pedals and shoes now purchased!

So (as usual) thank you very much for all the excellent advice!

Have had first near miss of getting stuck in pedals...think I need to practice a bit!

Went for Cube SL Road Race 2021 bike. So much lighter than my old bike!!! Looking forward to getting used to it (and the pedals!).

No good pictures so far...but thought I would add this as we do like our pictures!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
JR16641146.50
JustChris17485.50
      10-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #804
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quick update.

Collected the bike today and went down the mountain bike pedal route. Wasn't really aware this was an option! Shimano SPD pedals and shoes now purchased!

Have had first near miss of getting stuck in pedals...think I need to practice a bit!

Went for Cube SL Road Race 2021 bike. So much lighter than my old bike!!! Looking forward to getting used to it (and the pedals!).

No good pictures so far...but thought I would add this as we do like our pictures!!!!
Nice looking bike. As for getting stuck in the pedals you can loosen the mechanism on the SPD's so less of an ankle wrench to unclip ..you will see a + and - sign on them..they might need loosening a bit .. however getting used to clipless takes some time. I literally sat on the bike balanced against a wall and unclipped for about 30 minutes to try and get that muscle memory.....

I still fell off a few times, once at the work gates, even fell off on a canal path with 4 panniers a few years back as just couldn't unclip in time
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
      10-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #805
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Nice bike.

With the MTB cleats you can fairly easily rip out in an emergency I've found
      10-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #806
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Yeah loosen them off a bit if you feel you need to, but a bit of practice and you get the hang of it.
It only took a few times riding before I no longer struggled. Clipping-in on the other hand... I still struggle with that sometimes.

My progress thread
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
      10-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #807
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quick update.

Nice looking bike. As for getting stuck in the pedals you can loosen the mechanism on the SPD's so less of an ankle wrench to unclip ..you will see a + and - sign on them..they might need loosening a bit .. however getting used to clipless takes some time. I literally sat on the bike balanced against a wall and unclipped for about 30 minutes to try and get that muscle memory.....

I still fell off a few times, once at the work gates, even fell off on a canal path with 4 panniers a few years back as just couldn't unclip in time
I think every cyclist who is honest has tales off not unclipping in time and going over. Normally in front of people.

One of my most spectacular was in front of about four cars as I was cycling out of Grafham Water and had to stop at a junction. Just went right over in front of all the traffic. Not my finest hour!
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
      10-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #808
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quick update.

Looks a nice bike. I think like most I probably had some near misses but I can't remember them as I was only about 8 or 9! And they were miles better than sketchy toe clips...now if it was embarassing stories of crashes on bikes, I need no help from clipless pedals!

I'd back them right off to get used to them and that way you'll dial in the motion for unclipping. That said, don't go trying any full more sprints like that, they'll probably unclip on you - loose on these really is loose. We used to do the opposite and crank them up to max and even then we'd only get 3 months from them before we'd get phantom unclips when sprinting on rough stuff. The newer cleat and pedal designs are definitely better for that now. Another option to be mindful of is that Shimano also do what they call a multi-release cleat which gives a bit more flexibility for getting your feet out at the expense of the occasional phantom release (or at least I found that with my dodgy ankles). I run Crank Brothers stuff now as my ankles can't cope with the Shimano's lack of float, but at the expense of frequent bearing and cleat replacements!

Basically, take it easy, don't take liberties and in a few weeks you'll wonder why it's taken you this long to get them!
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
      10-23-2020, 12:51 AM   #809
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
One of my most spectacular was in front of about four cars as I was cycling out of Grafham Water and had to stop at a junction. Just went right over in front of all the traffic. Not my finest hour!
2nd year of Uni, I fell off at a pedestrian crossing at the main campus to Uni, ended up falling into a group of girls who proceed to rightly laugh/scream resulting in just about everyone within sight line to stare and look......I didn't wait around to see how many people was actually around .
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
      10-23-2020, 12:55 AM   #810
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
11 days, 760 miles. There's a quick write up amongst some of my other rides in the list at the bottom of the link .The longest was down to the Swiss border and back via the Rhine, I think that was 1500 miles. Any longer and I'll be coming back to an empty house

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/dire...user=Iain1&v=9
That's proper cycling!! Makes my dithering about taking the bike in rain for the 6 mile commute feel rather pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:10 AM   #811
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quick update.

I think every cyclist who is honest has tales off not unclipping in time and going over. Normally in front of people.

Nice.

Mine was on the grass of a neighbours garden (the classic try them at home routine).

Really just becomes second nature, I always have to take the same leg off first and have the clip tension dialled right down on that.
      10-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #812
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/54640116

wow
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #813
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Finally, a stage I could have completed!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #814
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Nice.

Mine was on the grass of a neighbours garden (the classic try them at home routine).

Really just becomes second nature, I always have to take the same leg off first and have the clip tension dialled right down on that.
As a seasoned cyclist I still somehow managed to go over during lockdown.

I'd got new shoes with new cleats and somehow got it stuck whilst unclipping and toppled over on my right in front of a few cars at traffic at lights. I say in front but I actually caught my right shoulder on the front bumper of an unsuspecting 1 series!

Luckily the guy driving was more concerned about my welfare (whilst trying not to laugh of course) and in all honesty it was an old car, I think my Bianchi was worth more!
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
JustChris17485.50