F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > BMW Appreciation
proTUNING Freaks

09-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
BMW Appreciation

Is it just me or does anyone else do this or had this happen to them?

If I'm driving my BMW and I pass another beautifully taken care of BMW I'll give them a nod, thumbs up. I've also had this happen to me as well. I had a beautiful 4 series pass me one day on my way to work and just as I was getting off the highway he pulled up next to me and gave me the thumbs up...then drove off.

It's almost like it's a club or one of those type of things "you gotta drive a BMW or care for a BMW" to really appreciate another beautiful car.

I thought it was cool. Because up until then I thought I was the only one that did this.
      09-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

It happens less than it used to as drivers are too busy multi-tasking vs. aware of their surroundings. Plus there are many more BMWs on the road than there were 40 years ago when I got my first 2002! We used to flash our headlights at each other as acknowledgement. A great-looking car from any marque deserves a thumb's up!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
When I owned my e46 in the early 2000's and living in the US, fellow BMW owners would occasionally do something like the "Jeep wave", but not all that often. Living/driving around Europe it never happened because they are nothing special.

These days, in my area people think your an idiot if you don't drive a full sized pickup truck. Most of the vehicles on the road are trucks and SUVs. In a car I sit below their line of site and I'm not even seen. It's only a car and nobody cares.
      09-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

I think it depends on who it is just yesterday I passed a clean lemans blue e90 m3 he gave me the head nod I gave him the thumbs up so it does happen, just depends if people are car enthusiasts or not.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Times have changed. I looked at a beautiful long beach blue m2 last week on the I-30 to Fort Worth (Dallas) and the driver gave me the funniest look like I was some weirdo. Guess it depends where you are.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
When I owned my e46 in the early 2000's and living in the US, fellow BMW owners would occasionally do something like the "Jeep wave", but not all that often. Living/driving around Europe it never happened because they are nothing special.

These days, in my area people think your an idiot if you don't drive a full sized pickup truck. Most of the vehicles on the road are trucks and SUVs. In a car I sit below their line of site and I'm not even seen. It's only a car and nobody cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Pretty much - big trucks everywhere - aren't they so cool in their giant pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

While stuck in traffic recently a fellow BMW driver let me in and gave me a thumbs up so I did the same.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2020, 02:41 AM   #8
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Times have changed. I looked at a beautiful long beach blue m2 last week on the I-30 to Fort Worth (Dallas) and the driver gave me the funniest look like I was some weirdo. Guess it depends where you are.
If the dude can't accept praise of his car, he's probably just an asshole.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #9
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I may have to take back a little of what I said earlier...

This past weekend I met a new X3 passing in the other direction on the main road near my neighborhood and the driver gave me a wave. It was such a surprise I was a little late on responding. I hope he saw me...
      09-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

lol was going to ask if you were in Atlanta! Same thing happened to me a few days ago and it was a 4 Series. Yesterday I was next to someone in a nearly identical car and we gave each other a nod
Appreciate 1