F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Mppsk switch to stage 1 bm3
proTUNING Freaks

10-06-2020, 03:25 AM   #23
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

Good question, Peak Torque hit between 1500 to 5000 RPM in turbo charged B58 while HP peaks around 6000 to 6500 RPM.

So Torque is not fixed across the RPM range it actually falls heavily above 5000 RPM in case of MPPSK (see attached graph of torque from the MPPSK tune)

To achieve the same HP with lower torque you must have higher RPM.

Here's the equation: HP = Torque nm X RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
a question: if HP depends on torque value (which is correct), how can the 480 NM and 500 NM be rated the same HP ?

I don't get it..
Attached Images

Last edited by IMS-340C; 10-06-2020 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:59 AM   #24
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

thanks guy for your explanations! I really appreciate it.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:55 AM   #25
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

Misleading ??????? Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Easily. This is where IMS-340MP's posts above can be slightly misleading.
      10-06-2020, 05:01 AM   #26
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS-340MP View Post
Misleading ??????? Ok
I meant this specifically:
"No Torque is not one of the components, Torque is the main component you just work torque harder to get more power"

You can see how the above, in conjunction with vcx's question, can be quite misleading, as it triggers the question why a vehicle with higher peak torque (e.g. 500Nm vs 480Nm) does not have more (max) power (which is exactly vcx's quesiton asked differently).

But your explanation thereafter was spoton Bottom line - peak torque tells only part of the story. It needs to be seen in conjunction with RPMs throughout the full spectrum to be meaningful. We all agree on this I believe

Last edited by Skyhigh; 10-06-2020 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #27
jjhebigscreen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60

Hi,
A lot talk about numbers and explaining why the numbers affect the feel and power of the car. I did not have the car dynoed after the mppsk or with the bm3 tune. I have seen posts with both dyno numbers and yes the bm3 over the mppsk tune seems to have another 25hp or so and also about 35ft pounds of extra torque. I'm not sure why but in my experience I could barely feel the mppsk tune. I double checked with my Bmw dealer that loaded the mppsk tune and they where positive the tune downloaded successfully. They were willing to print out whatever they had that showed the tune was downloaded successfully. I should have been able to feel the mppsk tune? When I had the bm3 tune downloaded I felt it the minute I pulled out of the parking lot. Big grins and smiles immediately. In my experience it is night and day. Im not knocking people that are enjoying their mppsk tune. This is simply my experience. I judge an upgrade by how much more fun i think the car is to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #28
FIDDYgg
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhebigscreen View Post
Hi,
A lot talk about numbers and explaining why the numbers affect the feel and power of the car. I did not have the car dynoed after the mppsk or with the bm3 tune. I have seen posts with both dyno numbers and yes the bm3 over the mppsk tune seems to have another 25hp or so and also about 35ft pounds of extra torque. I'm not sure why but in my experience I could barely feel the mppsk tune. I double checked with my Bmw dealer that loaded the mppsk tune and they where positive the tune downloaded successfully. They were willing to print out whatever they had that showed the tune was downloaded successfully. I should have been able to feel the mppsk tune? When I had the bm3 tune downloaded I felt it the minute I pulled out of the parking lot. Big grins and smiles immediately. In my experience it is night and day. Im not knocking people that are enjoying their mppsk tune. This is simply my experience. I judge an upgrade by how much more fun i think the car is to drive.
Does BM3 adjust throttle pedal sensitivity? I have no experience with tunes for these cars yet (Just MPPSK on mine) but in the past I've had tunes in my trucks and I know they try to trick you into thinking they make a lot more power by adjusting the pedal.
      10-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #29
jjhebigscreen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDDYgg View Post
Does BM3 adjust throttle pedal sensitivity? I have no experience with tunes for these cars yet (Just MPPSK on mine) but in the past I've had tunes in my trucks and I know they try to trick you into thinking they make a lot more power by adjusting the pedal.
Yes there is an adjustment for throttle sensitivity in Bootmods program but I had the installer leave it stock.
Appreciate 0