F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > The Music Thread
Extreme Powerhouse

10-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #23
nawz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

Big fan of Bloc Party. Most of their albums have a fair few bangers.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #24
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawz View Post
Big fan of Bloc Party. Most of their albums have a fair few bangers.
Their PCP song '2 more years (to hold on)' is great.
      10-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #25
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I have always been a bit of Soul/RnB man myself.

As a kid growing up in the 80s I had a bit of an older head on me and loved listening to the classic soul artists like James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Al Green. Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding.

I didn't mind a bit of 80s pop also at this time.

Moving into the late 80s as a teen going to clubs I loved the whole 'New Jack Swing' era. Listened to Artists such as Guy, Keith Sweat, TLC, Tony! Toni! Toné, Bell Biv Devoe to name a few.

Into the 90s and the 2000s more contemporary RnB.

Now days still love my RnB and some House music.

Currently really enjoying music from an artist called H.E.R.

10-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #26
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328ixDrive Touring

I too am on the cusp of 50 and often wonder why I don't take the time to give newer music a fair shake. I have never actively embraced streaming and continue to purchase CD's or LP's from time to time. Good thing my car still has a CD player.

If I was to borrow a lyric from Genesis's Supper's Ready, it have to be, "something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule". This is the best way I can describe the enveloping sound of music in a car and the sense of freedom in the mobility of driving or the stillness of being parked with nothing but the dash and radio light

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, the car sits more those days. Albeit, prior it was mainly a 30-min drive to and from work that made the "escape" happen. No more "space cruises" as those more carefree younger days provided.

I remember my father listening to Carly Simon and Barbara Streisand, as well as Bob Seger and The Eagles going to and from the lumber store in a red '76 Nova.
On the flipside, my sister was listening to Top 40 and it stuck until 8th grade or so. As a skateboarder growing up in the 80's, I knew I was supposed to like punk, but I could never discern the lyrics and gravitated to classic rock. Like most, I would say that the college years "broadened"my listening, but I use they would lightly because when I think of the enormity of music that has come before and what's still to be created, it's like trying to understand what's beyond the stars.

Sometimes I wonder if I was to hear music for the first time without any preconceived notions, would I respond in the same manner with the same emotional feelings? I'm sure nostalgia plays a big roll in all my feelings toward music, and firmly believe that while styles change, style stays. And in this way, I will continue to gravitate toward the sounds, rhythms, lyrics, that set off the fire inside. That ember that while not always burning bright is always aglow.

Traffic: Can't Find My Way Home
Neil Young: I am a Child
Genesis: Supper's Ready
Yes: Heart of the Sunrise
The Cure: Disintegration
Cocteau Twins: Blue Bell Knoll
Dead Can Dance: American Dreaming
Catherine Wheel: Black Metallic
Bob Mould: Compositions for the Young and Old
Jeff Buckley: Lover; You should have come over.
      10-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #27
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Hmmm, I have drunk more in middle age than ever before, and NEVER EVER done drugs.... For me 6th form was a big influence, we had a music player and lots of different things got played, we had a 6th form band who fancied themselves as the next U2 meets SLF (but they were from Shirebrook!) and a friend of a friend, a bit older than me was in Japan, and now plays for Rod Stewart .....

I liked music with attitude and a message, not just twee tunes....

My Mum hated me playing Dead Kennedys, so no doubt I played it more
I loved music with twee tunes, I hated pretentious messages. The Smiths and Morrissey were/are the most boring band on earth.

In fact, minor correction, I liked twee tunes with attitude and a message, The Cure were quite good at that.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #28
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Their PCP song '2 more years (to hold on)' is great.
Do you ever get past the intro?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #29
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I loved music with twee tunes, I hated pretentious messages. The Smiths and Morrissey were/are the most boring band on earth.

In fact, minor correction, I liked twee tunes with attitude and a message, The Cure were quite good at that.
Like I said music with attitude and a message, the Smiths forgot the music.....

I didnt really like Paul Weller when I was younger and for that reason not a Jam fan but get them a bit more now (but he is still a pretentious knob).

The Police were a big hit in 6th form days but I struggled with the deep meaning of De Da Da Da.....
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #30
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

And a bit like MashinBenzin I like the occasional modern track, usually twee tunes my young sons like. Friday night with my 3 year old dancing to a few tunes brings joy, and I don’t want to force them to like my old music.

These two are current favourites. The Billie Eilish performance at Glastonbury was full of attitude that today’s young uns love.

Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #31
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Fela Kuti- best saxophonist ever
Nas - best hip hop lyricist illmatic/it was written
JAY-Z - hip hop God reasonable doubt
Mobb deep - grimy net York hip hop infamous/hell on Earth
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 07:24 AM   #32
Paddy1975
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318i

Quote:
And a bit like MashinBenzin I like the occasional modern track, usually twee tunes my young sons like. Friday night with my 3 year old dancing to a few tunes brings joy, and I don’t want to force them to like my old music.

These two are current favourites. The Billie Eilish performance at Glastonbury was full of attitude that today’s young uns love.

Did Reading festival last year, me to see Foo Fighters, the young un to see Billie Eilish and to be fair she did a fantastic job, crowd was immense , she is already a force in music. Think the 8 pints of warm cider may have made the set better than it really was but who knows.......
      10-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #33
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
It's immense isn't it? Actually picked it up from a movie on a plane - a "must get that track" moment.

Cheers, will dig that one out. How did that pass me by? It was much simpler when discovering music involved a copy of Record Mirror and a few hours touring indie record shops and HMV!
It really wasn’t simpler, I just shouted out to Alexa from my desk to play it, and it came on.

30 years ago I’d have had a 45 minute bus trip into Sheffield to see if they had it in stock.

Great track by the way.....think I might play it again.
Some of my best memories as a young teenager were getting the bus to Peterborough, going to HMV in Cathedral Square and spending sometimes hours going through the records, going through the 12" singles looking for a rare import.

Then on the bus home, reading all the lyrics and sleeve notes on an album before running home from the bus stop to put the record on for the first time.

That excitement has gone for ever in this digital age.
Appreciate 3
G50954.50
Paddy1975198.00
      10-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #34
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
It's immense isn't it? Actually picked it up from a movie on a plane - a "must get that track" moment.

Cheers, will dig that one out. How did that pass me by? It was much simpler when discovering music involved a copy of Record Mirror and a few hours touring indie record shops and HMV!
It really wasn't simpler, I just shouted out to Alexa from my desk to play it, and it came on.

30 years ago I'd have had a 45 minute bus trip into Sheffield to see if they had it in stock.

Great track by the way.....think I might play it again.
Some of my best memories as a young teenager were getting the bus to Peterborough, going to HMV in Cathedral Square and spending sometimes hours going through the records, going through the 12" singles looking for a rare import.

Then on the bus home, reading all the lyrics and sleeve notes on an album before running home from the bus stop to put the record on for the first time.

Totally agree. Went in a record shop here in bristol a couple of years back and it brought back a lot of those memories.

Digital download is a can of Stella on a bench vs. Buying vinyl's perfect glass of red watching the sun set on some wonderful vista.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #35
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
I was lucky to be 12 years old in 1965 and to live through my teenage years with the incredible soundtrack that those years created. ‘Popular’ music over those 6 or 7 years encompassed every genre going. It also gave rise to blends of all that was out there to create entirely new music, and it was brilliant.
What does music mean to you and what were the eureka moments in your musical journey?
You're about the same age as my parents. If you haven't seen it before I'd wholeheartedly recommend The Boat That Rocked - my girlfriend recommended it and we all watched it at Christmas last year, my parents absolutely loved it for the memories it brought back.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #36
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

How many of us are old enough to remember what a Porky Prime Cut is???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Peckham

Last edited by Rhino at Work; 10-14-2020 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 03:45 AM   #37
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
You're about the same age as my parents. If you haven't seen it before I'd wholeheartedly recommend The Boat That Rocked - my girlfriend recommended it and we all watched it at Christmas last year, my parents absolutely loved it for the memories it brought back.
Thanks. Not seen it, but I will. Just watched the 3+ hour 'Laurel Canyon documentary which is fascinating. It covers the community that gravitated to Laurel Canyon in the late 60's, starting with Frank Zappa and The Mothers, then The Byrds and The Mama's & Papa's and lead to the formation of many bands including Crosby, Stillls & Nash and The Eagles to name just a few. t was a melting pot of incredibly talented musicians taking influences from everywhere and blending them into new music.
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 03:53 AM   #38
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:

That's something that's been largely lost, despite a small revival. The joy of vinyl, particularly at a time when album covers developed into an adventure, with cost almost no object!! I particularly remember The Small Faces album, Ogdens Nut Gone Flake which came in a round metal tin with all sorts of goodies inside.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:08 AM   #39
Paddy1975
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318i

in the local area we had 3 main record shops, Sundown Records Walsall / Bridge Records Walsall & Mike Lloyds Wolverhampton - all had a magic feeling, you couldn't wait to get in there on a Saturday, ask the geezer behind the counter to "play this mate" and they did at full window shaking volume, also sold all the rock/pop t shirts (proper ones not primark copies) also Sundown did coach trips with Way Ahead to all the gigs a bit further afield, found one of my first tickets for Guns 'N' Roses at Wembley stadium (twin towers)for the grand price of £22 with coach in 1991. just paid over £100 for G'N'R in London next year, how times have changed.
      10-14-2020, 04:16 AM   #40
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

It hasn’t if you don’t want it to. Buses have always run and the record shops are back in many places again if you want to do it. You just choose not to

I don’t disagree though, doing that is a great memory and more exciting. But, with my life now, which is different to that when I was 18, I’d hardly ever get to hear any new music if i had to take half a day to get there and choose it.

Personally I’m grateful that technology has kept pace as my life has ramped up and my free time is now roughly 2% of what it once was. If I sit down on the sofa for 5 minutes any time before 9pm I’m made to feel guilty.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:24 AM   #41
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep

My access to new (and different) music has ramped up massively of late thanks to Spotify and Covid-19!! I now work from home 3 days a week so I have music on most of the time on those days plus the 3 hours travelling to and from the office on the other two days.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #42
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

I remember "porky....." on the runout of vinyls, suspect I've still got some in the garage, will have to look. Recently got the 40th anniversary box set of Vienna, can't believe it's so long ago. Like most of us 50 odd brigade I find modern music a bit too manufactured, there are odd bits that are a little interesting but I do listen to stuff mainly from "my" era, late 70s to late 80s. Shazam is useful, occasionally, last one I did was XYZT by Zombi, need to check them out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #43
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Well, I'm gonna own up to my great shame. No one else has admitted it, but I'm sure some of you must have a Meat loaf album or two tucked away somewhere. Bat Out Of Hell was massive at the time and I still find myself turning up the volume when it comes on. The rest of the songs on the album are pretty good as well, Paradise By The Dashboard Light (had to explain that one to the wife, lol) is another particular favourite.

There, I've owned up. Somehow I feel lighter and free......

Oh, has there been music since 1989? I hadn't noticed
      10-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #44
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Well, I'm gonna own up to my great shame. No one else has admitted it, but I'm sure some of you must have a Meat loaf album or two tucked away somewhere. Bat Out Of Hell was massive at the time and I still find myself turning up the volume when it comes on. The rest of the songs on the album are pretty good as well, Paradise By The Dashboard Light (had to explain that one to the wife, lol) is another particular favourite.

There, I've owned up. Somehow I feel lighter and free......

Oh, has there been music since 1989? I hadn't noticed
I went to the Bat Out of Hell musical in London - was saying before that I couldnt see how they would get Paradise in the show but they did. Loved that album.
Appreciate 0