F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech F30 Power Trunk Retrofit
ARMA SPEED

02-21-2017, 03:04 AM   #287
BeoG30LCI
Enlisted Member
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

After mod

Appreciate 2
      02-21-2017, 03:17 AM   #288
BeoG30LCI
Enlisted Member
Vietnam
Rep

Painting

Appreciate 2
      02-21-2017, 03:28 AM   #289
BeoG30LCI
Enlisted Member
Vietnam
Rep

On car...still need modification

Appreciate 2
      02-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #290
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Wow F32Airbus, that's some serious mod skills you have!!!
      02-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #291
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Great job F32Airbus!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #292
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

I'm waiting for my kit. I will post my result too.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #293
flyerJoeb
Rep
Drives: 335XI F30 M SPORT DINAN

Kit Installed with comments

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2017, 12:14 AM   #294
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Nice work F32Airbus ! . .

Too much brain damage for me...I'm out

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #295
XxJeffxX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

update on the power trunk retrofit after about a week and a half, it seems the past few days my trunk will not open on cold morning or if the car is not running for a good 15-30 min then after that time the trunk opens perfectly. when i pull the emergency trunk release and open the trunk the exterior button does not unlatch the trunk but the soft close feature and the trunk pull down motor still functions, any insight on this problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #296
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed608 View Post
So after installing my kit last week Saturday, it stopped working on Thursday.The lock will not unlock and have had to open the boot using the emergency release from inside the boot.I re-installed the original latch and this works as normal.Have been in contact with Bimmertech support and they have asked me to go through various tests and checks and still no luck. The retrofitted Latch will just not unlock , it locks fine with the soft close feature but once locked it won't unlock using the boot release in the car on the boot handle or the remote.Have also had to do a bunch of voltage checks on the latch connection in various modes the lock has been in.

just waiting for tech support to get back to me now on way forward.I hope this problem is resolved quickly.
Update:So received the replacement lock from Bimmertech and the new lock did the trick.The Auto boot now unlatches like how it should and was doing so before the fault.

Thank You Bimmertech
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #297
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerJoeb View Post
[IMG]
[/IMG]
Tomorrow hope to receive my kitt. In your video, you mention an PDF file, can you tell me please where I can find it? And what about that short ground wire? Any other things that I need to know before start installing?
Thank you in advance.

And about other problems, is there any statistic of how many have problems with this kitt? I'm starting to be afraid to install it, as long there are many people wotch have problems after instaling it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #298
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: Subaru

flyerJoeb - thank you for the review!
speed608 - may that lock work forever +1 day!
XxJeffxX - please get in touch via e-mail: support@bimmer-tech.net and we'll look into this

The updated button template PDF's can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...EJtX3h0WDRJdDA
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #299
TheFrench
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 MSport Xdrive

Hi ,

It would be good to share the solutions to the problems encountered by som
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #300
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Yes, that it will be a good idea
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #301
flyerJoeb
Rep
Drives: 335XI F30 M SPORT DINAN

Hi
If you have the available tools, you can modify what you run into.
Follow the install video. I used an IPAD and was able to review as wanted. The easy part was removing all the panels. You do need the proper torx bits. Use something to prop the trunk open as it will drop once the spring is removed. The rear bracket needed modification on my car. The longer bolt was not aligned. I saw mention in posts to open the hole on the trunk arm hole that the spring was attached. The bolt fits through that hole, but with the bracket in place didn't align. I oblong'd the hole in the bracket until the bolt could be turned in. Once i was able to screw in the bolt, I placed the nut on loosely. I the had to use a channel lock to compress the left side so the bolt and nut could be placed. Tighten both after.
The rear bracket was a challenge. The initial two pieces and bolt went easy. The L arm and smaller nut didn't go so well for me. I had material stuffed in the hold to keep anything from dropping but still lost the L arm. I used a different nut and bolt to secure the bracket. I first tried duck tape on the l arm to an extension to try to align but it fell in a different hole. I saw others using a magnet to hold the L arm in place. I also saw a comment of placing it in from the other side. Once installed the motorized unit can be attached.
The one ground wire is a little short. I was able to move the plastic box toward the front giving a little more length so i attached both grounds to the advised location.
I took my time with all the components to the deck lid. Once I figured how to maneuver the parts in place I had no issue attaching all the parts there.
At first my unit would not work once power was restored. I removed my motor unit as i though something was wrong, but when off and power there the unit turned left and right. Once I reconnected, the unit worked without issue.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #302
TheFrench
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 MSport Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJeffxX View Post
update on the power trunk retrofit after about a week and a half, it seems the past few days my trunk will not open on cold morning or if the car is not running for a good 15-30 min then after that time the trunk opens perfectly. when i pull the emergency trunk release and open the trunk the exterior button does not unlatch the trunk but the soft close feature and the trunk pull down motor still functions, any insight on this problem?
Hi,

Your boot seal does not stick? The battery is ok?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:26 AM   #303
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Power Trunk installed

Hello, yesterday my Power Trunk kit arrived and I had time to install it.

First of all, thank you BimmerTech for make it possible.

Now, the installation process was almost straight forward, same a little short ground wire for unit, but I adjust unit position and everything is OK, little clamp for rear grip of the electrical piston was to short, so that little corner didn't stay in mention position, but it was locked inside the hole and screw was tightened firmly, so no problem. Another little problem was with button template, witch it was a little thin that is should be, even I used latest PDF template, I had to adjust the hole and everything was OK. Button looks good.
After installation finished, I had to manually close the trunk and after that power trunk was working. Also I saw the problem with battery, and I can confirm that if battery is not OK, power trunk wan't function perfectly. I stayed for some time with car open and radio on, and after that , soft close from trunk didn't work, trunk was not closed complete, but after I start the car and battery was charged again, everything was working again perfect.
For the moment I'm very pleased with this retrofit, hope to not have problems with it.
I wanted to ask BimmerTech experts if there is any solution to install front button too, for trunk, so the retrofit will be complete and will look more as from factory.
I also post an video with PowerTrunk tests, after all installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAUD9qmSVs
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #304
BeoG30LCI
Enlisted Member
Vietnam
Rep

I met the same problem...
So after installing my kit last week Saturday, it stopped working on Thursday.The lock will not unlock and have had to open the boot using the emergency release from inside the boot.I re-installed the original latch and this works as normal.Have been in contact with Bimmertech support and they have asked me to go through various tests and checks and still no luck. The retrofitted Latch will just not unlock , it locks fine with the soft close feature but once locked it won't unlock using the boot release in the car on the boot handle or the remote.Have also had to do a bunch of voltage checks on the latch connection in various modes the lock has been in.

just waiting for tech support to get back to me now on way forward.I hope this problem is resolved quickly.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #305
BeoG30LCI
Enlisted Member
Vietnam
Rep

Anyone can show me how to access the emergency release from inside? I couldn't fold down the rear seat to get inside the trunk....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #306
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

SUCCESS!!

Today I finally had nice weather and an afternoon free so that I could figure out why my power trunk retrofit was not completely closing, it seemed like something was blocking it from closing completely. So I climbed into the trunk with my work light, and watched how the lid closed. I discovered a "wear spot" on the car body at the same location that the corner of the bracket touches it. I removed the bracket, and discovered a wear spot on the corner as well!
Name:  1-Problem with bracket.png
Views: 1427
Size:  455.5 KB
Name:  2-Wear spot in trunk.png
Views: 1492
Size:  440.6 KB

So I filed down the corner to make sure that the bracket does not get blocked by the car body, and while I was at it, I also filed the hole for the bolt to be 1-2mm wider so that inserting the bolt through the bracket assembly is not as difficult. Now the trunk lid closed PERFECTLY!!! YAY!
Name:  3-File corner of bracket.png
Views: 1343
Size:  450.9 KB
Name:  4-File corner of bracket.png
Views: 1309
Size:  497.4 KB
Name:  5-File screw hole wider.png
Views: 1431
Size:  508.7 KB

While I had the wiring exposed, I made a ground wire extension out of some 14 AWG wire for the one very short ground lead. I cut off the ring terminal, stripped the two wires (one was 16 AWG, and the other was 18 AWG), twisted them together, and crimped it onto my extension wire. I found 16-18 inches additional length to be just about right. Use the blue connector for this connection.
Name:  6-Ground wire extension.png
Views: 1498
Size:  579.7 KB
Name:  7-Ground wire prep.png
Views: 1321
Size:  427.0 KB
Name:  8-Ground wire extension crimped.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  66.6 KB

Finally, the F130 power lead had a blue connector that easily comes off! This is because the blue connectors are only for 14 or 16 AWG wire. The power lead is probably an 18 or 20 AWG wire, so since the red connectors are designed for 16-22 AWG wire, I replaced the blue with red connector, and now I had a snug fit.
Name:  9-F130 Power lead.png
Views: 1542
Size:  566.5 KB

I reinstalled all the trunk trim, though through the process I did mangle some of the expanding rivets/plugs to the point I couldn't reuse them. I went to my local BMW dealer, and got a few spare ones:
Big expanding plug part #51471911992
Small expanding rivet part #07149193301kt

I gotta say that I'm really loving this retrofit. When I go to client sites, I'm usually lugging a lot of gear that I load up in the trunk. This retrofit makes the process a bit easier, especially when my hands are full carrying stuff. Works great with my comfort access feature!
      03-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #307
XxJeffxX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Airbus View Post
Anyone can show me how to access the emergency release from inside? I couldn't fold down the rear seat to get inside the trunk....
i just folded down the center section of the seats and squeezed my fat a$$ just enough through the opening to reach the release that is in the center of the trunk lid.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #308
XxJeffxX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrench View Post
Hi,

Your boot seal does not stick? The battery is ok?
the boot seal does not stick, i have put a thin film of silicone lubricant on the trunk seal to cross that off my list and my battery is fine, i checked voltage and ran a load test on it and it passes with flying colors.
Appreciate 0