F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY 6WA or 6WB F10 to F30 95% done
Studio RSR

05-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #23
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post
roxxor , I had 6WA F30 cluster befoure, the basic cluster was an old one, and it was sacrificed for this project.
I looked into NBT and I set kombi_cic to kombi_high, from kombi_mid, but same rasult. some arrows and turnarounds are not displayed as they should be. Look at this pictures to understand what I want to say.
I had the same issue with my factory 6WA on my Pre-LCI F30 when I switched from CIC to NBT. I'm pretty sure your KOMBI came from a CIC car since the Eco Pro Gauge is the older one. If there parameter isn't there, it might even need an update.

There's a parameter somewhere there that tells it that you have NBT and not CIC since the display resolution for the text is a bit different. It should be for head unit type or something like that. This should be a setting on the KOMBI and not the NBT.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #24
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

x328x , No, it's not more complicated, almost same process and coding, but the price is different. 6WB is more expensive than 6WA. Maybe when they will go down on prices .....

Aritaurus, when I first install F30 6WA, I didn't had this problem. All car was updated, and cluster was from an 2014 car. Maybe this cluster need update too, it is an idea, I will talck about it with a friend witch knows much more then me in this firmware updates and codings. Thank you.

Can someone with an F10 with NBT and 6WA, send me his cafd coding file from cluster, please?

Last edited by larry_bml; 05-04-2016 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #25
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/bmw...-5-series.html

That's the newer f10 cluster. Looks cool. Wonder if its more complicated
That is the one I am trying to install

As soon as it ends up arriving, I will try to get it in and coded and we will see if it is harder to get working than the 6WA.

Last edited by roxxor; 05-04-2016 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #26
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post

As soon as it ends up arriving, I will try to get it in and coded and we will see if it is harder to get working than the 6WA.
Wow can't wait to see how that turns out.

Out of curiosity does this mod affect the hid functionality
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #27
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wow can't wait to see how that turns out.

Out of curiosity does this mod affect the hid functionality
If you have it, I don't believe it would. However, I can't be 100% sure as I do not have the HUD
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:18 AM   #28
x328x
Captain
Rep

How's this going
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #29
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

My F10 6WA is working 99%, some ugly arrows for turnarounds, and no handbrake warning, in rest everything is OK.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #30
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post
My F10 6WA is working 99%, some ugly arrows for turnarounds, and no handbrake warning, in rest everything is OK.
How did you fix the handbrake warning?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #31
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Coding, but I can't share for the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #32
x328x
Captain
Rep

Quote:

How's your cluster going
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #33
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
How's your cluster going
I'm hoping the 3rd time will be the charm LOL. Thankfully I've had luck in finding good deals so my screw-ups haven't cost me a complete fortune. I'll outline my problems so that hopefully they don't happen to others.

Firstly, it is entirely possible to just use the test clip to remove the VIN from the 160D0WT chip, assuming you don't need to clear the mileage. You just have to make sure the test clip is wired correctly, as most of the ones I see come wired in a different pin layout pattern.

The first cluster I ordered, I was having difficulty getting the test clip to work(wired incorrectly but I didn't realize it until after the fact). I attempted to remove the chip from the board with just a soldering iron, and ended up ripping some of the trace pads off of the board. I attempted to repair the pads with some silver conductive epoxy, and the cluster would turn on, show up in E-sys and respond to in-car commands(BC button, changing from Eco Pro to Comfort, etc.), but would not accept any coding from E-Sys, giving errors that it could not read/write to the chip.

The second cluster I ordered, I was able to get the test clip working and the mileage was lower than my car, however I made the mistake of attempting to write a blank .BIN file to the chip. Once that happened, it made it to where the cluster would not work until the chip was removed/cleared. This time, I ordered a Hot Air Soldering Station, however, in using that, some of the ceramic capacitors near the chip came off of the board since their solder was loosened by the heat from the gun. I replaced all of them, however the cluster would power up and display everything correctly, but was then not showing up in E-Sys for coding and the speaker in the cluster was not making the "gong" sound like it should have been.

So I'm currently waiting on my 3rd cluster to arrive, this one has already been cleared by the seller so I "shouldn't" have to do anything but plug it in and begin the fun process of coding it. Should be arriving sometime next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #34
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping the 3rd time will be the charm LOL. Thankfully I've had luck in finding good deals so my screw-ups haven't cost me a complete fortune. I'll outline my problems so that hopefully they don't happen to others.

Firstly, it is entirely possible to just use the test clip to remove the VIN from the 160D0WT chip, assuming you don't need to clear the mileage. You just have to make sure the test clip is wired correctly, as most of the ones I see come wired in a different pin layout pattern.

The first cluster I ordered, I was having difficulty getting the test clip to work(wired incorrectly but I didn't realize it until after the fact). I attempted to remove the chip from the board with just a soldering iron, and ended up ripping some of the trace pads off of the board. I attempted to repair the pads with some silver conductive epoxy, and the cluster would turn on, show up in E-sys and respond to in-car commands(BC button, changing from Eco Pro to Comfort, etc.), but would not accept any coding from E-Sys, giving errors that it could not read/write to the chip.

The second cluster I ordered, I was able to get the test clip working and the mileage was lower than my car, however I made the mistake of attempting to write a blank .BIN file to the chip. Once that happened, it made it to where the cluster would not work until the chip was removed/cleared. This time, I ordered a Hot Air Soldering Station, however, in using that, some of the ceramic capacitors near the chip came off of the board since their solder was loosened by the heat from the gun. I replaced all of them, however the cluster would power up and display everything correctly, but was then not showing up in E-Sys for coding and the speaker in the cluster was not making the "gong" sound like it should have been.

So I'm currently waiting on my 3rd cluster to arrive, this one has already been cleared by the seller so I "shouldn't" have to do anything but plug it in and begin the fun process of coding it. Should be arriving sometime next week.
I bet it would have been cheaper by now to just order a virgin cluster
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #35
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
I bet it would have been cheaper by now to just order a virgin cluster
Surprisingly not actually... I pretty much broke even with reselling the first and second clusters for parts/repair, so I didn't really lose anything one them.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #36
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Surprisingly not actually... I pretty much broke even with reselling the first and second clusters for parts/repair, so I didn't really lose anything one them.
Ah nice! I was going to retrofit a 6WA and bought a virgin cluster because I didn't want to mess around with the EEPROM but then I found that I don't have a MOST connector on my headunit so I canceled my order. I have an NBT now and will be looking to retrofit 6WA, so would you be able to point me to a supplier who can have one pre-programmed?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #37
x328x
Captain
Rep

Quote:

wow. well good luck and cant wait to see the end product
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #38
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
Ah nice! I was going to retrofit a 6WA and bought a virgin cluster because I didn't want to mess around with the EEPROM but then I found that I don't have a MOST connector on my headunit so I canceled my order. I have an NBT now and will be looking to retrofit 6WA, so would you be able to point me to a supplier who can have one pre-programmed?
I ended up finding one on eBay that was described as having already been cleared, unless you buy one new, you would just have to look for one that states it has already been cleared.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #39
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I ended up finding one on eBay that was described as having already been cleared, unless you buy one new, you would just have to look for one that states it has already been cleared.
Awesome, waiting for updates then on your 6WB!
These Russian guys seemed to have fixed the fuel gauge and handbrake problems https://www.drive2.ru/l/8014865/
Seems that they fixed it using a CAN emulator though, and not through coding as larry did.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #40
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

In the end, he solved handbrake by coding, he gave me codes and told me not to make it public, thats why I can share them for the moment. No emulator needed. He charge money for this codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #41
roxxor
Major
Rep

Just a quick update on my status. DHL was absolutely AMAZING, got my cluster here from the UK in less than 2 days... I was stunned!

I am happy to report that I have success! The cluster is connected and working, and I was able to get it coded using an F10 FA file which I modified to match as much as I could to match my F30 options. Only 3 things left for me to work on coding wise:

1. Fuel Tank - This one I will have to explore around with coding. The F30 Kombi showed I have around 320 miles to empty on a little over half a tank, whereas the 6WB shows I have over 3/4 of a tank full, but only around 271 miles to empty. Definitely something needs to be changed there.
2. Service reminder shows -27000 miles til service. I believe this is related to needing to change the Kombi option in the HU_CIC to "KombiHigh", which I have not yet done since I am still swapping the two clusters back and forth.
3. Handbrake issue

Since it is night-time here in the U.S., I am going to work inside with the Dremel on modifying the F30 housing to fit over the 6WB as shown in the first pics, and tomorrow I'll get back to work on the coding. Just so happy to finally not have increasing mileage and No More Red Dot!!!!!

UPDATE: So, after spending an hour with an F30 6WA Housing and the Dremel, I can confirm that the modifications shown in the first pictures will NOT work for a 6WB cluster. The main reason being that the two side gauges(fuel/temp) do not fit within the shape of the 6WA housing and are covered if you try to put the cover on, since they are differently shaped on the 6WB vs. the 6WA. Also, due to other size changes, the top and bottom of the housing will not fit over the 6WB cluster, it is too short by about 1mm on each side.

Last edited by roxxor; 05-21-2016 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 02:15 AM   #42
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Hey, don't give up. You will have to use a powerful hot air blower on the 6WA case to make the plastic a little soft, an then you can manipulate it over the 6WB. It will not fit 100%, but you will see where you will have to enlarge it or where it should be flattened.
As about coding tank fuel, just save coding file from first cluster and 6WB, after that, compare them, and in the TANK settings you will find the diferences that you have to modify.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #43
roxxor
Major
Rep

Ahhh ok. I will try that for the top and bottom parts. My concern was the fuel and temp gauges on the sides. On the F10 6WA, those two gauges are slightly closer to the center of the cluster, leaving more of a gap between the edge of them and the cluster housing. On the 6WB, they are almost touching the housing. Based on that positioning, if you try to fit the F30 6WA cover over the 6WB, those two gauges are covered partially. After looking online though on the Russian forums at their work, I can see how it looks, doesn't seem to look so bad.

Thanks for the tip on the Fuel coding, I will get that taken care of today!

Last edited by roxxor; 05-22-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #44
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh ok. I will try that for the top and bottom parts. My concern was the fuel and temp gauges on the sides. On the F10 6WA, those two gauges are slightly closer to the center of the cluster, leaving more of a gap between the edge of them and the cluster housing. On the 6WB, they are almost touching the housing. Based on that positioning, if you try to fit the F30 6WA cover over the 6WB, those two gauges are covered partially. After looking online though on the Russian forums at their work, I can see how it looks, doesn't seem to look so bad.

Thanks for the tip on the Fuel coding, I will get that taken care of today!
I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure the overall experience of having a 6WB outweighs that minor inconvenience

Last edited by Gabrola; 05-23-2016 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0