F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > P0243 Check Engine Fault Code
Studio RSR

09-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
fharhanrahman
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

P0243 Check Engine Fault Code

Hi,

I'm getting the fault code P0243 (Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction)

Yesterday my 2013 328i xDrive was throwing up CHECK ENGINE and DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION signs.

However, today there are no signs but I still ran an OBD just in case and got the fault code P0243.

Has anyone received this before? If anyone can shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's not unusual to have a warning thrown and then go away. Clear the code, if it doesn't happen again don't worry about it. If it does dig deeper, google Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction to see what it might be.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
fharhanrahman
Rep

3 months later after resetting the obd it is back ...

Any ideas anyone ??
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fharhanrahman View Post
3 months later after resetting the obd it is back ...

Any ideas anyone ??
Did your check engine light come on?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Does your engine feel underpowered at times?

The wastegate solenoid controls turbo boost pressure. ECM asks the solenoid to perform certain tasks and for some reason the solenoid doesn't respond as expected.

That's when the code is thrown.

Echoing IraHayes question: did the engine light come on? It most likely did.

If the solenoid is failing, the code should return as soon the engine has been started. In your case, the code is back after 3 months.

Do you have a fuse diagram for your vehicle? The wastegate solenoid might have its own fuse.

Also - electrical connections at the solenoid could be corroded.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
fharhanrahman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Does your engine feel underpowered at times?

The wastegate solenoid controls turbo boost pressure. ECM asks the solenoid to perform certain tasks and for some reason the solenoid doesn't respond as expected.

That's when the code is thrown.

Echoing IraHayes question: did the engine light come on? It most likely did.

If the solenoid is failing, the code should return as soon the engine has been started. In your case, the code is back after 3 months.

Do you have a fuse diagram for your vehicle? The wastegate solenoid might have its own fuse.

Also - electrical connections at the solenoid could be corroded.
Hi,

I reset it again after my last post and came back again on start up today. It seems to choose when to come though because I’ve driven the car in between my last post and and didn’t get the signal.

In fact I just turned off the car and turned it on while writing this after driving a mile or two and it’s gone again. Soon to come again for sure.

I don’t have a fuse diagram but do you think this is something I can just change the fuse for ? I was thinking I may have to change the wastegate component.

I really hope this isn’t a serious issue / fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
checkone
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fharhanrahman View Post
Hi,

I reset it again after my last post and came back again on start up today. It seems to choose when to come though because I’ve driven the car in between my last post and and didn’t get the signal.

In fact I just turned off the car and turned it on while writing this after driving a mile or two and it’s gone again. Soon to come again for sure.

I don’t have a fuse diagram but do you think this is something I can just change the fuse for ? I was thinking I may have to change the wastegate component.

I really hope this isn’t a serious issue / fix.

I had that problem few weeks ago. I got a CEL ON and at that time I haven't my OBDII to check it, so I disconnected the battery for a moment and connected it back. The car was sitting in my garage and the next day I took it for a drive. While driving, I got that same message as DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION on the iDrive monitor and also the DSC Dynamic Stability Control came ON on the cluster.

So I just deactivated the DSC (that button on the pedestal panel) and reactivated it back and the problem was solve. I recycle that button while the DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION was showing. Try that when next time it happen and maybe it could helps. Also, did you disconnected your battery lately?

Just find out that my CEL was for P0597 which is for a thermostat problem and not the DRIVETRAIN.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The intermittent nature of this problem is worth exploring further. NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) factors can displace the connectors just enough to cause a problem.

Unfortunately I don't have a fuse diagram. But fuses tend to either work or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
fermin1979
ff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Greetings, new to the forum-
I'm also getting code P0243, wastegate solenoid A malfunction..
can't seem to find any accurate diagrams, pictures or videos on the locations and replacement of the part. Has anyone replaced this part or know where its located?
the wastegate actuator is easy to spot and replace. But from what I've read it doesnt seem to be the issue..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 10:12 PM   #10
MontAmir234
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Exclamation i have a 2013 bmw 328i that i just bought need help

when i test drove it was fine had good power with the turbo all that when i got home i plugged my OBD II in and got two messeges P1290 - cold start turbo wastegate solenoid stop not learned and a P0243 Turbo wastegate solenoid A. i dont know what to do as ive done research on both and it seems like there might be something wrong with the car even though it drives great. does anyone know more about this as this is my first foreign and turbo car
Appreciate 0