F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 340ix Shadow Sport
GetBMWParts

09-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

340ix Shadow Sport

Just picked up yesterday after the wait for a custom build.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
cdwalls701.00
itachi_d207.50
Aberle74.00
      09-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Beautiful car. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Beautiful color...This was a custom build right? How in the world did you not go msport??
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Looks great!

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
Beautiful color...This was a custom build right? How in the world did you not go msport??
The M Sport bumper gives about 1/2" - 3/4" less ground clearance at the front bumper and I often need to get up a steep, rough driveway and the difference is important. I could see no advantage to M Sport, other than some markings and logos. The price was the same, after you learn that shadow sport includes PDC and it needs to be added to M Sport. I don't care about the logos. I ordered the track handling package which has the adaptive suspension (available in M Sport), the bigger brakes and variable sport steering. I wasn't sure about the steering, but I like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
Quote:
The M Sport bumper gives about 1/2" - 3/4" less ground clearance at the front bumper and I often need to get up a steep, rough driveway and the difference is important. I could see no advantage to M Sport, other than some markings and logos. The price was the same, after you learn that shadow sport includes PDC and it needs to be added to M Sport. I don't care about the logos. I ordered the track handling package which has the adaptive suspension (available in M Sport), the bigger brakes and variable sport steering. I wasn't sure about the steering, but I like it.
With all due respect....front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper, diffuser, black headliner, gloss black door trim, levels better steering wheel, speed limiter removed, addition trans oil cooler, sport auto trans if AT, msport brakes (you got them), msport wheels, msport suspension etc....there is ton of difference.

Based purely on aesthetics (my first of 4 335's was non msport) refused to even consider again after that a non msport factory fitted car or an M car for the next 3.

I can tell you at stock height, with all mperformance aero especially the front lip, on my xdrive 335 msport up here in the northeast I have no issue with snow or driveway clearance at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
there is ton of difference.
Bumpers, side skirts, defuser seem only cosmetic and personal choice. Shadow sport had black trim, grill and headliner. Track handling package has optional wheels and high speed tires, adaptive M sport suspension, M sport brakes, variable sport steering, speed limiter removed. I have 6MT so sport transmission and cooler mean nothing. The steering wheel is different, but I have had both and I'm not sure one is better. As I said, I don't really care about the logos. The logos are intended to make it look fast in the driveway. For my driveway, the 1/2" in front is the difference between scraping and not scraping.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
dogbertdrives
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congratulations. This is a shiny and attractive in the sunlight as it can get
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Does your wheel have better quality leather, it looks much smoother than on my old -15 sport line.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #11
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
there is ton of difference.
Bumpers, side skirts, defuser seem only cosmetic and personal choice. Shadow sport had black trim, grill and headliner. Track handling package has optional wheels and high speed tires, adaptive M sport suspension, M sport brakes, variable sport steering, speed limiter removed. I have 6MT so sport transmission and cooler mean nothing. The steering wheel is different, but I have had both and I'm not sure one is better. As I said, I don't really care about the logos. The logos are intended to make it look fast in the driveway. For my driveway, the 1/2" in front is the difference between scraping and not scraping.
Well can't argue with that!! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOBLAST View Post
Does your wheel have better quality leather, it looks much smoother than on my old -15 sport line.
I don't know. The documentation is VERY confusing. The ordering guide shows option 255 (sport leather steering wheel) and 2xm (nappa leather steering wheel) for different combinations including shadow sport. If I look at my build, shadow sport includes sport edition, which has fog lights, a 2XE steering wheel (a sport leather steering wheel different from 255 or 2xm) and PDC. PDC is a $750 option on other lines but is included in Shadow Sport. Instead, shadow sport is priced $750 higher than other lines. I assume that means they only make the shadow sport bumpers with the holes for PDC for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Nappa leather sounds like the Individual wheel or M-sport wheel. Or we get cheaper quality leather in EU.

How do you like the high gloss rims, are they hard to keep clean?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nappa leather sounds like the Individual wheel or M-sport wheel. Or we get cheaper quality leather in EU.

How do you like the high gloss rims, are they hard to keep clean?
Regarding the rims, I have had the car for 6 days and put 110 miles on. They have not needed much cleaning.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
In any effect RAK, its a beauty and I love the color. I unfortunately am still waiting for my build which should be here by the end of the month...I was gonna go Sunset Orange as well but since it will be my daily and business car I needed something a little more low key. Happy to see you got the 6MT!

As a side note which I think you should really consider. The actual shift knob that comes with the Msport is different than the Shadow pkg. It has a slightly shorter height and heavier weight. I have driven 6MT's with both and for a cheap mod you'll get the most pleasure and use out of it... not to mention it gives a totally different feel to the shifting IMO.

Enjoy the new car!
      09-22-2018, 05:21 AM   #16
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Just wanted to show the difference in the wheel leather surface. Mine is knobbly and yours is smooth as the M-sport wheel leather.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #17
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted to show the difference in the wheel leather surface. Mine is knobbly and yours is smooth as the M-sport wheel leather.
Perhaps I could have paid more attention to the wheel when I ordered, but there was a lot to think about. I wanted to get it ordered in time to get it built before the MT wasn't an option. The selection got more complicated when I learned that the M Sport front bumper took away 1/2" - 3/4" off ground clearance at the front, which was important to me. My old BMW wheel was smooth, I guess because of M Sport. On my build sheet, there is option 7B1 Sport Edition, which seems to be part of Shadow Sport. Under 7B1, it includes something called 2XE Sport Leather steering wheel, black, with a footnote that says "Alternate Option". Then, on the build sheet, under ZSF Shadow Sport Edition, it lists 2XM Nappa Leather Steering Wheel". It looks contradictory and confusing. I cannot say that the steering wheel is something I actively chose, but I like the way it feels.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #18
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps I could have paid more attention to the wheel when I ordered, but there was a lot to think about. I wanted to get it ordered in time to get it built before the MT wasn't an option. The selection got more complicated when I learned that the M Sport front bumper took away 1/2" - 3/4" off ground clearance at the front, which was important to me. My old BMW wheel was smooth, I guess because of M Sport. On my build sheet, there is option 7B1 Sport Edition, which seems to be part of Shadow Sport. Under 7B1, it includes something called 2XE Sport Leather steering wheel, black, with a footnote that says "Alternate Option". Then, on the build sheet, under ZSF Shadow Sport Edition, it lists 2XM Nappa Leather Steering Wheel". It looks contradictory and confusing. I cannot say that the steering wheel is something I actively chose, but I like the way it feels.
I got it now. I got 2xe too but 2xm is the INDIVIDUAL nappa leather steering wheel. I ordered this on my new car too. I had to opt for it cause it was not part of 7b1 Model sport shadow.

You dont got the Individual sticker on your wheel which is strange.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #19
Karlosdj
Rep
Drives: 335D xdrive Shadow Edition

Beautiful welcome to the orange and black club