F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 pressure on engine safety
Studio RSR

10-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
kevinb21
as long as it runs :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i/ e92 335i

F30 pressure on engine safety

Hello, I have a 2013 328i and it has about 90k miles, I don't usually drive aggressively and 95% of the time it's in eco pro mode under 2500rpm but once or maybe twice a month I will put it in sport mode and run it through it's paces. Today I was traveling up a pretty steep hill and I put it in sport mode and floored it and while it sounded and felt great, I plan on keeping this car for 200k + miles... how bad did I hurt it's engine/Transmission by doing this and is it safe to do this every so often.

Note; the car is always warmed up completely before anything is done and I also have always had its maintainence done by bmw at every interval since day 1

I love driving this sports sedan and I hope it lasts forever! Thanks for any input
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Jake From State Farm
Uhh... Khakis?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F250 Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb21 View Post
Hello, I have a 2013 328i and it has about 90k miles, I don't usually drive aggressively and 95% of the time it's in eco pro mode under 2500rpm but once or maybe twice a month I will put it in sport mode and run it through it's paces. Today I was traveling up a pretty steep hill and I put it in sport mode and floored it and while it sounded and felt great, I plan on keeping this car for 200k + miles... how bad did I hurt it's engine/Transmission by doing this and is it safe to do this every so often.

Note; the car is always warmed up completely before anything is done and I also have always had its maintainence done by bmw at every interval since day 1

I love driving this sports sedan and I hope it lasts forever! Thanks for any input
It won’t hurt it as long as you stay on top of the maintenance oil changes, etc. Doing it all the time will cause more wear and tear and you may run into a problem sooner or later. I honestly wouldn’t have any concerns if you are doing it as infrequently as you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO-FamilySedan View Post
Quote:

It won’t hurt it as long as you stay on top of the maintenance oil changes, etc. Doing it all the time will cause more wear and tear and you may run into a problem sooner or later. I honestly wouldn’t have any concerns if you are doing it as infrequently as you mentioned.
Also do you think extra maintainence would help?

I know bmw claims it's "lifetime trans fluid" along with the diff oil but would it make sense to change it now?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 03:31 AM   #4
Rdubsf30
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i

Quote:
Also do you think extra maintainence would help?

I know bmw claims it's "lifetime trans fluid" along with the diff oil but would it make sense to change it now?
Im at 134k miles on my 335i and I still ask this question about the trans fluid change...
Appreciate 1
adhrp1301.50
      10-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubsf30 View Post
Im at 134k miles on my 335i and I still ask this question about the trans fluid change...
The ZF8 tranny isn't different than any other transmission. Fluid will break down over time, burn, go bad, how quickly is the question. You can't tell unless you actually look which isn't easy on these cars. There is no such thing as 'lifetime' fluid, it's just a game of semantics where they claim that '80k' or whatever is considered 'lifetime.'
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
rparnel1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I dont buy into the lifetime fill mantra either and had mine changed at 70K by an independent. Just how many miles or years does BMW consider lifetime?

Suspect the transmission is reliable enough that fluid change is not really needed for normal car lifespan and I'm guessing they consider that around 150k miles. Would like mine to go longer and consider fluid change preventative maintenance.

Personal choice!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

What about launch control?
Probably stupid of me but today for the first time I tried launch control...

Was it fun?
Very.

How bad did it hurt my car?
I don't know....

If it's just roasting tires I don't care but I want to know if I did anything really bad to my car and If I should never do it again....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
F30metrix
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
What about launch control?
Probably stupid of me but today for the first time I tried launch control...

Was it fun?
Very.

How bad did it hurt my car?
I don't know....

If it's just roasting tires I don't care but I want to know if I did anything really bad to my car and If I should never do it again....
Bro if these things did bad stuff to your car, you wouldn't be able to do them so easily lol. A car is a car, it's built to do exactly what you claim to do.

You could keep it in sport all year and you wouldn't do anything bad to your engine.
Appreciate 0