F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Engine oil temperature sensor malfunction
proTUNING Freaks

09-09-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
uhkordguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13' 335i 6MT

For several months, I've been unable to check my oil... though, the engine oil has been changed twice.. no worries of running low.

Last week, I changed the oil level sensor in the oil pan... thinking it would solve the issue, but no luck.. both after disconnecting the battery and clearing all codes via JB4.

I'm stuck with code "1C4119"- Engine oil temperature sensor, electric: Malfunction. I'm assuming because the oil sensor is giving a bad reading, this is preventing the car from wanting to check the oil level as it's unsure of operating temp. Question is, should i replace the sensor near the oil filter housing?

Any advice is appreciated- thanks!

edit: I've checked the wiring to both the sensor in the oil pan, and i've unplugged/replugged the sensor near the oil filter. no go

Last edited by uhkordguy; 09-09-2017 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Yes, the oil temp sensor near the oil filter housing is the one that's faulty. There's a bypass for the oil cooler that's part of that housing, and it doesn't allow oil to flow through the cooler until it reaches operating temp. Without allowing all the oil, including that in the lines and cooler itself, to flow past the sensor in the pan, you would not get an accurate volume reading.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Ahmedgawesh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90

BMW Oil guage Level Sensor

Hi bimmers ,

I have a issue when i check my oil level sensor in my bmw 330i model 2007 it shows INACTIVE , i dont know what happened even i chenged the sensor with another used one and the problem still shown , i dunno what to do ,, do anyone have idea about this issue before 😫😫
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Ahmedgawesh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90

BMW Oil guage Level Sensor
Hi bimmers ,

I have a issue when i check my oil level sensor in my bmw 330i model 2007 it shows INACTIVE , i dont know what happened even i chenged the sensor with another used one and the problem still shown , i dunno what to do ,, do anyone have idea about this issue before ����
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhkordguy View Post
For several months, I've been unable to check my oil... though, the engine oil has been changed twice.. no worries of running low.

Last week, I changed the oil level sensor in the oil pan... thinking it would solve the issue, but no luck.. both after disconnecting the battery and clearing all codes via JB4.

I'm stuck with code "1C4119"- Engine oil temperature sensor, electric: Malfunction. I'm assuming because the oil sensor is giving a bad reading, this is preventing the car from wanting to check the oil level as it's unsure of operating temp. Question is, should i replace the sensor near the oil filter housing?

Any advice is appreciated- thanks!

edit: I've checked the wiring to both the sensor in the oil pan, and i've unplugged/replugged the sensor near the oil filter. no go
Hi. I am having the same issue/code. Did replacing the sensor solve yours?
      10-10-2019, 12:20 AM   #6
anttttcuellar
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i 2011

Oil cooler sensor by the actual oil pump

So I have an issue that my oil cooler sensor located just left of my oil cooler pump on my n55, it has oil keep leaking into the sensor/ plug and Not getting no fault codes just idles at start. Please give me suggestions! My mechanic was recommending that it's the STP filter I'm using but idk.