F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Used Car Salesmen
Studio RSR

10-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #23
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I think the view that there are a lot of mediocre car sales people is very true. Many will make a decent living doing easy sales to enough mugs, that when a knowledgeable buyer who knows exactly what the best deal looks like comes along, it's just too much like hard work, for not enough commission.

And how we judge a salesman is different to how a dealer may judge one. For example, we think it's somebody who is super knowledgeable, responsive to ones needs, takes time to listen, makes an effort etc. But selling the car that we really want isn't always what's most profitable to the dealer. To them they need a salesman who can sell a 5 series tourer to the guy who ame in wanting a 3 tourer because that's the target they need to hit for bonus. Or you come in sure that you're after a 335i manual but end up buying the 328i because that's what stock they needed to sell.

It might not be right but that's the commercial reality, and as long as you know it you can be ready to handle it. I think the OP handled it well. As long as you're prepared to drive more than an hour, then there is plenty of dealer choice, and if you're not overly fussy on spec then there will always be another car along.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #24
Flakmunky
Amateur Brain Surgeon & Olympic Knitting Champion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E85, E92, F31, G31

I asked a BMW salesman for a brochure recently and was told BMW don't do printed brochures any more, they were all electronic... what he didn't know was his mate had told me the week before that they didn't have any and were waiting for some to be delivered.

Why this guy felt the need to tell such a stupid lie mystified me.

A few cars ago I was sat at a salesman's desk waiting him bring some paperwork and Billy Big Balls walked by bragging to his mate about how he had been collecting a customer's brand new M3 and he'd had it sideways on a roundabout...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #25
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakmunky View Post
I asked a BMW salesman for a brochure recently and was told BMW don't do printed brochures any more, they were all electronic... what he didn't know was his mate had told me the week before that they didn't have any and were waiting for some to be delivered.

Why this guy felt the need to tell such a stupid lie mystified me.

A few cars ago I was sat at a salesman's desk waiting him bring some paperwork and Billy Big Balls walked by bragging to his mate about how he had been collecting a customer's brand new M3 and he'd had it sideways on a roundabout...
I dont understand why they are there to be honest. They have no say in price they have no say on discount and they have no idea of their margins. May as well knock on the sales managers door and ask him directly. One told me today that this was a good 5 series because it had Xenons... I said they have been standard on the 530 for a while now... He said you should be sat this site of the desk... i said "they cant afford me "
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
Flakmunky
Amateur Brain Surgeon & Olympic Knitting Champion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E85, E92, F31, G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
He said you should be sat this site of the desk... i said "they cant afford me "
'Like'
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 03:22 AM   #27
Redandy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i GS/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
They're not all like that.

I had a very good experience with Williams in Bolton when I bought an MX5 from them as a summer fun car, back in February.

Got to say I agree with you there, had 2 new and 1 used from them now in the last 4 years and they've all been a pleasure to deal with, in all honesty across the board for the whole dealership in my experience, no hassles and nothing seems too much trouble.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Just heard the best line ever from the service team....

Apparently they have had people with vibrating brakes because the owners refurbed their wheels and now the brakes overheat due to the increased thickness of the paint on the wheel. He said when you curb the wheel you should really replace it and not have it repaired.... ROFLMAO

I didnt know whether to correct him or or ask him WTF?

Instead i just shook my head and walked out..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #29
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx
Just heard the best line ever from the service team....

Apparently they have had people with vibrating brakes because the owners refurbed their wheels and now the brakes overheat due to the increased thickness of the paint on the wheel. He said when you curb the wheel you should really replace it and not have it repaired.... ROFLMAO

I didnt know whether to correct him or or ask him WTF?

Instead i just shook my head and walked out..
This is true, but that's not the whole story. The issue is when the people refurbish paint where the wheel attaches to the hub. It interferes with the heat transfer to the wheels, which helps the whole system to cool.

It's not that wheels can't be refurbed, it's just that you have to watch how much of it is painted.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
This is true, but that's not the whole story. The issue is when the people refurbish paint where the wheel attaches to the hub. It interferes with the heat transfer to the wheels, which helps the whole system to cool.

It's not that wheels can't be refurbed, it's just that you have to watch how much of it is painted.

Are we talking about cars where the wheel connects directly to the iron disks? Because there is a layer of paint between that connection which would insulate any heat transfer from happening.

Vented and slotted brake disks are designed to increase air flow across the disks themselves for this reason. If the wheel was a heat sink then they would design them to dissipate heat. I have never felt my alloy and it was warm. the disks are red hot though after even a short drive. I dont see heat transfer between the two?

It sounds like a BMW excuse not to replace the brakes... Contact area is small and wheels are painted which insulates them
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #31
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx
Quote:

Are we talking about cars where the wheel connects directly to the iron disks? Because there is a layer of paint between that connection which would insulate any heat transfer from happening.

Vented and slotted brake disks are designed to increase air flow across the disks themselves for this reason. If the wheel was a heat sink then they would design them to dissipate heat. I have never felt my alloy and it was warm. the disks are red hot though after even a short drive. I dont see heat transfer between the two?
Not sure full details, but I guess it's where the wheel is in contact.

My dad's a BMW tech and I remember him telling me to watch this if I got my wheels refurbed. He just said that they shouldn't paint this area, I guess on top of what is already painted.

Whether it was designed as a heat sink in the first place or came to light following investigation I've no idea.

Regardless, the bullshit in the story is saying that you can't refurb, and that you need to buy new ones!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #32
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not sure full details, but I guess it's where the wheel is in contact.

My dad's a BMW tech and I remember him telling me to watch this if I got my wheels refurbed. He just said that they shouldn't paint this area, I guess on top of what is already painted.

Whether it was designed as a heat sink in the first place or came to light following investigation I've no idea.

Regardless, the bullshit in the story is saying that you can't refurb, and that you need to buy new ones!
There is a funny 6 series forum where BMW told them it was because the wheels were refurbed that they were getting warped disks at 3000 miles. They took the wheel off and the paint wasnt on the connector side to the disk. It sounds like BMW BS. Like the time when they said pairing my phone which wasnt supported kept breaking my telematics. I had electrical gremlins in the whole car and half the wiring was replaced eventually after 12 bulbs went in a year including 2 telematics units and the ECU.

BMW dealers will perpetuate myths especially when they encounter common problems such as squeaky brakes and warped disks. BMW sends out a dealer bulletin saying this was the cause then suddenly its the reason for every warped disk at every dealer in the uk...
Appreciate 0