F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 22k miles in
GetBMWParts

10-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

22k miles in

I picked up the F31 320d M Sport Manual in March 2013 and have now covered 22k miles.
Options:
- Pro Media
- Front parking sensors
- Lumber support
- Internet
- Xenons
- HK sound system
- Sliding arm rest
- Heated front seats
- Interior comfort pack
- Sapphire Black Metallic paint

Average MPG = 46mpg

First service: 18,000 miles and sensors tell me I need to replace front pads in 1,400 miles

Thoughts so far

What I like:

- The HK sound system

- Pro nav although pricey for what it is

- Xenons (although wish I went for the light pack for a few extra quid more)
- Seats with lumber are very supportive and I like the electric side bolsters, I have no problem in getting comfortable and long journeys are not problem
- Practical enough for my family of three

- Like the RWD handling

- The split tailgate

What I don’t like:

- The manual gearbox. It’s too long geared and therefore feels sluggish at times which is starting to frustrate me. I was lent almost exactly the same car when mine went in for service with the exception of a sport auto. What a revelation, it suits the car so much better and keeps the power in the sweet spot. Teaches me for not taking a test drive!

- Vibration through the gear stick when the engines running;

- The colour – such a pain in the arse to keep clean whereby I’m at a stage where I hardly clean it, also the colour doesn’t show off the lines of the car well enough;

- The refinement in the cabin is terrible; loads of road and wind noise which is very intrusive and I have to keep turning up the sound system. Can be quite draining at times. Better on the continent due to the better roads

- There are a few annoying rattles which arise over rougher roads which emanate from the steering column and seatbelt restraint trim…drives me bonkers

So all in all I give the 3 series 7/10 to date. It’s a good car but I haven’t really gelled with it it like I thought I would have done. I have the car for a further year but I don’t think I’ll go for another one unless the LCI improves things significantly and I may need something bigger on the assumption we have another little one. I have an itch for a F11 5 series or the updated A6 Avant, both of which I think will suit my needs more.

Last edited by jimboss; 10-30-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

I've got a courtesy 520d M Sport auto until my new car turns up.
I like it, though don't like the visibility at the back when parking.
The gearbox is fine, though I'm looking forward to a bit more power than this one has.
It's getting about 42mpg, though that's with the lights on and occasional seat heater.
Appreciate 0