F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Studio RSR

03-09-2021, 06:47 AM   #6733
Rasoul77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

You can also download BR125 from this link.

Last edited by Rasoul77; 03-10-2021 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
Eldewy51.00
      03-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #6734
sas46
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d @140hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas46 View Post
I just noticed that an update for my unit is out (I presume)

EW-BMCP-EVO-A

Can I safely flash

Andream [NBT EVO ID5/ID6] [ISPBOOOT.BIN]
NEW v2.2.0.2.gpe.e (PIN: 2863) (Not cross compatible)

Current version
No one can answer that?.....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #6735
dmeerpa
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 (e89)

what brand to buy ?

I'm looking to buy one of these for my BMW Z4 e89 (CIC)

Which one would you advise
- Andream
- Roadtop
- Carlinkit
- other ...

I'm aware that the hardware is probably all the same, and the difference will be software wise.
So basically the question is, which one has the best software...

PS. I will use it with Android (version 11), I have no intensions of switching to Apple again.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #6736
Eldewy
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman F54 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeerpa View Post

- Andream
- Roadtop
- Carlinkit
- other ...

I'm aware that the hardware is probably all the same, and the difference will be software wise.

PS. I will use it with Android (version 11), I have no intensions of switching to Apple again.
Till now, my experience with RoadTop has been nothing but pleasant. they are very responsive on WhatsApp if you have questions, issues or requests.

I cannot say anything against or for the other sellers.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #6737
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeerpa View Post

- Andream
- Roadtop
- Carlinkit
- other ...

I used to recommend CarlinKit for Android Auto users because you can use the custom sw from page 1. The custom sw provided auto-launching AA, wide-screen support, automatic night mode switching, and routed calls via the OEM Bluetooth for the best call quality.

However based on recent posts it seems that both Andream and RoadTop now have all of these features.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #6738
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I just noticed that an update for my unit is out (I presume)

EW-BMCP-EVO-A

Can I safely flash

Andream [NBT EVO ID5/ID6] [ISPBOOOT.BIN]
NEW v2.2.0.2.gpe.e (PIN: 2863) (Not cross compatible)

Current version
No one can answer that?.....
Yes, if you have an Andream EVO unit then this sw is compatible.
Appreciate 1
sas466.00
      03-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #6739
ggonxhi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ggonxhi

Hello I recently installed the Adream CiC and I have a few issues.

1st my steering button does not work to open Siri.
2nd FaceTime calls are paused, so no video( I suspect this is a safety measure)
3rd is there a way to change the car into the pdc/aftermarket Camera screen. ( right now it’s showing a Z4

I’m on the latest firmare from this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #6740
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Newer as in after June 2020 for the A units.

I don't see it posted on the first page but I am running the attached Carlinkit mcu 20.08.13 which should also run on the Andream A units (not compatible with the B units).
Was there a documented hardware change? I'm running the custom firmware v2 right now. Edit: I'm an idiot. MCU = the software, I kept thinking MCU = MMI.

Edit: Is it possible to flash the bimmertech MCU update using the custom firmware, and then the bimmertech firmware? Not sure if anyone's tried this yet.

Last edited by Unspec; 03-09-2021 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #6741
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Was there a documented hardware change? I'm running the custom firmware v2 right now.

Edit: Is it possible to flash the bimmertech MCU update using the custom firmware, and then the bimmertech firmware? Not sure if anyone's tried this yet.
The mcu's are black box. I have no idea how they work.

But yes, you can flash the Bimmertech mcu's after flashing the custom software. But if at any point you want to flash back to your unit's stock mcu, you will first have to flash back to your units stock software before you can do so.

However the latest Bimmertech mcu dimmed my screen's brightness for some reason which is why I am using the Carlinkit mcu.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #6742
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The mcu's are black box. I have no idea how they work.

But yes, you can flash the Bimmertech mcu's after flashing the custom software. But if at any point you want to flash back to your unit's stock mcu, you will first have to flash back to your units stock software before you can do so.

However the latest Bimmertech mcu dimmed my screen's brightness for some reason which is why I am using the Carlinkit mcu.
Yea I derped out, I kept thinking that MCU was refering to the actual unit itself, rather than the software.

I meant more along the lines of, can you flash custom, then flash BT MCU, then flash BT FW. Or will it go "invalid update" on me.

Edit: Wait, you can flash carlinket MCU on custom v2? I see this on the first page:

Quote:
A word regarding MCU updates: With this update you can only flash the MCU updates by Bimmertech. Flashing the default MCU from Andream/Carlinkit etc is only possible on their firmware. Currently there is no need to do anything (no new features etc), so you can leave everything as is. Also note that Bimmertech transforms the first digits of the MCU version from '20' to '10'.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #6743
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea I derped out, I kept thinking that MCU was refering to the actual unit itself, rather than the software.

I meant more along the lines of, can you flash custom, then flash BT MCU, then flash BT FW. Or will it go "invalid update" on me.

Edit: Wait, you can flash carlinket MCU on custom v2? I see this on the first page:
All vendors now have security in their updates that prevents them from being used on other units. So if you flash Bimmertech sw on any other unit you will get the "Invalid Update" screen.

The custom sw is based on a Bimmertech update but the security was removed by FireFly and team.

As for the Carlinkit mcu, you can't flash it while the custom sw is installed. But you can first flash back to your units stock sw then flash the Carlinkit mcu.
Appreciate 2
Unspec1299.50
Cruez3.00
      03-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #6744
Xerxist
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

Hello All,

Been using the custom rom on the Carlinkit NBT unit for quite some time now and still works great. One bug I rarely see is a black screen and I have to wait till the unit completely shutsdown and start it again. No big deal.

I've seen some people upgrading the screen to 8.8 inch or larger, but it's quite difficult to figure out which part number. I own a F21 from 2015 and like to upgrade to a larger screen so I get the splitscreen in Android Auto. Can anyone recommend a screen?

I've found this part number but I'm not sure if this is the right one.

Part number : 9387453

Or are there better solutions?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #6745
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxist View Post
Hello All,

Been using the custom rom on the Carlinkit NBT unit for quite some time now and still works great. One bug I rarely see is a black screen and I have to wait till the unit completely shutsdown and start it again. No big deal.

I've seen some people upgrading the screen to 8.8 inch or larger, but it's quite difficult to figure out which part number. I own a F21 from 2015 and like to upgrade to a larger screen so I get the splitscreen in Android Auto. Can anyone recommend a screen?

I've found this part number but I'm not sure if this is the right one.

Part number : 9387453

Or are there better solutions?
You can find the part#'s for the compatible screens for your car on RealOEM.com.

Also, when does the blackscreen occur? Is it when first booting up or using the rear camera, etc?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:43 PM   #6746
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You can find the part#'s for the compatible screens for your car on RealOEM.com.

Also, when does the blackscreen occur? Is it when first booting up or using the rear camera, etc?
I've noticed it sometimes as well. It's usually on AA/carplay launch. So either the auto launch, or if you exit out of AA/CP and then try to enter it again, it'll just stay at a black screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 01:50 AM   #6747
Sergiu
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 28i, 2014 520D

This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you update AA on these boxes: does it have a play store app / can you install an apk file on it, or do you have to wait for a new firmware?
I don't have the box yet, I'm in the research phase, but would really like to add AA to my car so that I can use the big (and much better than my phone on sunny days) screen for more than just range and GPS position display. And I really like to have the latest version of software available.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 03:43 AM   #6748
ImpX
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you update AA on these boxes: does it have a play store app / can you install an apk file on it, or do you have to wait for a new firmware?
I don't have the box yet, I'm in the research phase, but would really like to add AA to my car so that I can use the big (and much better than my phone on sunny days) screen for more than just range and GPS position display. And I really like to have the latest version of software available.
You update application in your phone.

The box itself does not have "Android Auto" installed. It just have it's firmware to facilitate streaming of data and screen from your phone.
Appreciate 1
Sergiu1.50
      03-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #6749
Rasoul77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

Quote:
I've noticed it sometimes as well. It's usually on AA/carplay launch. So either the auto launch, or if you exit out of AA/CP and then try to enter it again, it'll just stay at a black screen.
I have a similar issue that I described in this post.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #6750
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldewy View Post
to avoid having washed out colors & increase the graphical sharpness as much as possible.
And set the chroma and saturation not too high, 50% is OK.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1615390255
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #6751
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post
Same error if you would bypass the mmi (after clearing the code)?

Per ISTA - my invalid cid image (or whatever it said) is safe for me to ignore, so I will lol.
If I clear the memory a new error came up, even with bypassing the MMI box in iDrive mode. Off topic: today I change the BMW battery and register the new Varta with Bimmerlink.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1615391036
Attached Images

Last edited by RAAF12; 03-10-2021 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #6752
glitched79
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Is there any reason anyone can think of that a future CarPlay update would break functionality with these MMI boxes?

Coming from a 2016 Chevy Volt with built-in wired CarPlay to a 2016 528i that I installed one of these boxes into recently, I can say this implementation is already far better than the factory-installed wired version from the Volt that was riddled with constant connection problems. It seemed to work whenever it felt like it, and would often disconnect at any time for no reason at all.

So far, I've had very few problems with the MMI box I ordered from HifiMax Navi, which looks identical to all the boxes I'm seeing here, though I don't know specifically who manufactured it - I'd love if someone on here could tell me.

My only real fear is that a future CarPlay update from Apple might break connectivity with these boxes, since I'm assuming they're not "Apple-approved".
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #6753
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitched79 View Post
Is there any reason anyone can think of that a future CarPlay update would break functionality with these MMI boxes?

Coming from a 2016 Chevy Volt with built-in wired CarPlay to a 2016 528i that I installed one of these boxes into recently, I can say this implementation is already far better than the factory-installed wired version from the Volt that was riddled with constant connection problems. It seemed to work whenever it felt like it, and would often disconnect at any time for no reason at all.

So far, I've had very few problems with the MMI box I ordered from HifiMax Navi, which looks identical to all the boxes I'm seeing here, though I don't know specifically who manufactured it - I'd love if someone on here could tell me.

My only real fear is that a future CarPlay update from Apple might break connectivity with these boxes, since I'm assuming they're not "Apple-approved".
I don't expect that to happen.

If Apple revamps the CarPlay implementation requirements/parameters it would also break Carplay in every other vehicle having Carplay from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #6754
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I believe that, at least for Bimmertech, that issue was resolved with updated sw.
Appreciate 0