F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Motor Mouth: The solution is wireless

10-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #45
pennsiveguy
Shows initiative whenever directed to do so
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
We have a local Model 3 thread up here and owners are losing up to 40% range when the weather dips into double digit negative (celsius) temperatures. Also it's reported if you leave the car outside for prolonged periods in the cold they lose regenerative braking. Funny thing is the amount of planning required to take one on a holiday in regards to figuring out where charging stations are and how to make it there without running out of charge. Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world but it's not very densely populated so you can go hours of nothing but very small towns between larger centers that may have charging stations available. We aren't remotely close up here to EV's being viable for most people as they are strictly used for city commuting and even at that we are severely lacking in charging options.
And in densely populated areas, you have the opposite problem. The existing power grid is in most cases inadequate to supply charging power for an EV for every household (or probably even every other household), and adding the extra needed capacity to a heavily built-up environment will be horrendously expensive and the construction disruption and delay will be awful. My own apartment building is only 4 years old and sits in one of the most progressive and affluent neighborhoods of the upper Midwest, yet for 250+ units we have a grand total of 4 charging stalls. Any building more than 5 years old is virtually guaranteed to be completely lacking EV charging facilities.
      10-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #46
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

60 years ago few houses had air conditioning, dishwashers, more than one TV etc. An A/C unit is a pretty large load, especially when the compressor first kicks on (inrush current). As A/C penetration increased, the grid was upgraded as needed, and as load increased more power plants were built.

That scenario will play out for electric vehicles (one electric car is roughly equivalent to 1/3 house in terms of load, I’m pretty sure A/C was 1:1 or more at the time). What has changed is (1) energy efficiency has made the load per household flatten or decline, relieving some stress on the grid, thereby creating some available wires capacity for EV charging, and (2) no more coal plants can be built, and likely the last nukes are under construction now. But we can build natural gas combined cycle and renewables, and we have plenty of gas in the ground, so with occasional winter shortages due to gas heating, we can probably expect the infrastructure to keep up with EV charging.

The other issues about range, charge time, etc are solvable (super-capacitors, local quick-cycle batteries, etc to enable high-load fast chargers).

It typically takes a generation for a technology to proliferate; we have a long time for the EV market to develop. The first 5-10% penetration will be easy, after that we start running into the urban problems (no garage, significant garage electrical upgrade in older homes, etc) and the rural problems (range). Autonomous (self driving) comes with a host of other, solvable, problems that will slow adoption outside of the most ideal environments. But as with most newer tech, penetration => demand for support infrastructure => solutions. Those solutions will not necessarily be like our current infrastructure, which is why they can be hard to envision today.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #47
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
NOVA on PBS on driverless cars

I just watched this week’s NOVA on driverless car technology. It was really interesting. I highly recommend everyone watch this when they get a chance!
Appreciate 1
2000cs1001.00