F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: MPPK intake silencer mod
Studio RSR

03-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

DIY: MPPK intake silencer mod

I had read that the MPPK intake was ever so slightly louder than the stock intake, but at over 300$, I thought it was ridiculous for a piece of plastic identical to the one already in my car, but with a hole cut into it.

So I took it upon myself to drill out a few holes into the stock OEM intake to recreate the perks of the MPPK intake.

Tools required:
- Flathead screw driver
- Step drill bit

Here's what the MPPK intake silencer looks like, with the parallelogram shaped red hole.

This is the part you want to get to and modify:

Step 1: Loosen the clamp, but do not take it off.
Step 2: Remove vacuum hose by squeezing the tabs and pulling it out, be careful it's fragile.
Step 3: Remove the sensor clip.
Step 4: Undo the 4 retaining clips.
Step 5: Pull up on the intake pipe to release it from the rubber attachment in the middle.
Step 6: Rotate the intake pipe up and out of the way, just to give you enough room to access the filter and intake silencer.
Step 7: Remove the OEM filter.
Step 8: Pull up gently on the intake silencer, it doesn't take much strength at all.
Step 9: Drill holes to your liking.

Step 10: Reverse steps to reinstall the now modified intake silencer.

I know some people might not be a big fan of this mod, but honestly, it costs nothing and provides you with pretty much the same benefits the MPPK intake does. Intake sound is increased by 5-10%, so it's very subtle. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. There is enough room to drill a third row of holes, but I decided to stick to this.

Comments and criticism welcome
      03-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
When I remove my front bumper cover to remove the ACC sensor's visible stickers, I'm also removing part 15 from the intake. That mesh looks like it's only 50% open! Maybe I'll add one of those scoops behind the grill while I'm at it... :
Attached Images

03-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep

Was thinking about adding one of those scoops as well ! Should help with airflow that's for sure. Not sure id remove part 15 it's meant to keep larger debris out, especially with the scoop I'd want to keep it in there ever more.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blu
Was thinking about adding one of those scoops as well ! Should help with airflow that's for sure. Not sure id remove part 15 it's meant to keep larger debris out, especially with the scoop I'd want to keep it in there ever more.
I am not too worried about debris finding its way in for two reasons.

1. There is still an air filter between the opening and the engine.

2. I had a much more direct opening in a past vehicle and it wasn't an issue.
      03-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I am not too worried about debris finding its way in for two reasons.

1. There is still an air filter between the opening and the engine.

2. I had a much more direct opening in a past vehicle and it wasn't an issue.
Good points, I think I might get that scoop and remove the filter, should increase air flow.
      07-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
amoeba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330i zhp, F30 335-MSport

Won't drilling those holes cause hot air to be sucked in?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
Possibly, but I think it hardly makes a difference. Results in a sportier sound pretty much.
      01-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i, DINAN M5 S2V10

Anyone else attempt this?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:13 AM   #10
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blu View Post
I had read that the MPPK intake was ever so slightly louder than the stock intake, but at over 300$, I thought it was ridiculous for a piece of plastic identical to the one already in my car, but with a hole cut into it.

So I took it upon myself to drill out a few holes into the stock OEM intake to recreate the perks of the MPPK intake.

Tools required:
- Flathead screw driver
- Step drill bit

Here's what the MPPK intake silencer looks like, with the parallelogram shaped red hole.

This is the part you want to get to and modify:

Step [COLOR="Red"]1[/COLOR]: Loosen the clamp, but do not take it off.
Step [COLOR="red"]2[/COLOR]: Remove vacuum hose by squeezing the tabs and pulling it out, be careful it's fragile.
Step [COLOR="red"]3[/COLOR]: Remove the sensor clip.
Step [COLOR="Lime"]4[/COLOR]: Undo the 4 retaining clips.
Step 5: Pull up on the intake pipe to release it from the rubber attachment in the middle.
Step 6: Rotate the intake pipe up and out of the way, just to give you enough room to access the filter and intake silencer.
Step 7: Remove the OEM filter.
Step 8: Pull up gently on the intake silencer, it doesn't take much strength at all.
Step 9: Drill holes to your liking.

Step 10: Reverse steps to reinstall the now modified intake silencer.

I know some people might not be a big fan of this mod, but honestly, it costs nothing and provides you with pretty much the same benefits the MPPK intake does. Intake sound is increased by 5-10%, so it's very subtle. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. There is enough room to drill a third row of holes, but I decided to stick to this.

Comments and criticism welcome
I like it. So does the afe intake or other brands will have a louder sound than this? Do you have a video for your car sound?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Put holes around the entire air box and it sounds pretty good. Just make sure you're doing it BELOW the filter. I'm probably gonna get a CTS Intake eventually but this was a cheap alternative if you just want a bit more sound, highly recommend
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
In case anyone reads this old post- the M Performance intake (in the bottom of the plastic airfilter box) has an extra hole trimmed in red plastic that is in the front of the box so it is actually pulling cooler air coming in from the front grills of the car. That's the exact same spot to drill or cut holes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Yep just did this, this week. Took less than an hour. I used a 1/2" drill bit and marked 3 columns by 3 rows of holes.
I did my holes in the same place as the MPPK inlet. The MPPK red inlet sits right behind the driver side headlight by about an inch. It also picks up some cold air from the right-most bumper vent.

I also had the "snow" vent on my 435i. I popped that off too. It may pick up a little heat from the motor, but it faces the what looks like the AC unit... but it's also the cold side of the motor, so not a lot of heat.

Can't say it's a massive pick-up in power or sound. I do hear the turbo a bit more. But it's like going from volume 1 to 2 on a speaker.

I do think from doing this, I'll be replacing the air filter more often though!
As an aside, when you guys did this, was the increased sound with the stock filter or the K&N/AFE filter?
I think having a little more intake noise would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 05:31 PM   #14
junlikesf30s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
Yep just did this, this week. Took less than an hour. I used a 1/2" drill bit and marked 3 columns by 3 rows of holes.
I did my holes in the same place as the MPPK inlet. The MPPK red inlet sits right behind the driver side headlight by about an inch. It also picks up some cold air from the right-most bumper vent.

I also had the "snow" vent on my 435i. I popped that off too. It may pick up a little heat from the motor, but it faces the what looks like the AC unit... but it's also the cold side of the motor, so not a lot of heat.

Can't say it's a massive pick-up in power or sound. I do hear the turbo a bit more. But it's like going from volume 1 to 2 on a speaker.

I do think from doing this, I'll be replacing the air filter more often though!
As an aside, when you guys did this, was the increased sound with the stock filter or the K&N/AFE filter?
I think having a little more intake noise would be nice.
Sorry to necro this thread... lol

I just dealt with this; I did a similar mod and the K&N filter was popping 2 codes (P00BD for MAF and P0171 for LEAN CONDITION). I ended up returning the K&N filter. Running paper for now until my CTS intake shows up.

I did proper troubleshooting, wasn't a vac leak, wasn't improper installation. The MAF and stock tube just doesn't like the K&N+MPPK lower airbox/mod. MY GUESS is because of the panel filter design; when you're ramming air into the box, the only place that air has to go is past the air filter, so if you drop in a high flow air filter, all that air rushes past the MAF and throws off its numbers. With a paper filter, it's thicker/dense and provides a resistance to the ram air, hence no codes, BUT, less sound. AGAIN; just my guess. I'm totally new to the turbo BMWs and DME stuff.

As someone said in a previous post; just the MPPK/mod is like turning the volume to 2/10. Add in a high flow air filter and it's like turning up to 3-4/10. This is going off of 1 as being stock/muffled/almost zero turbo noise and 10 being an intake like MST/CTS/Injen.

I started a thread a couple days ago and someone confirmed that MPPK+AFE has worked well for them and others, and they don't believe it's an air ram issue, instead it's an air flow issue with the K&N just being way too "flowy".

Last edited by junlikesf30s; 04-11-2023 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0