F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Steering Trim Swap - Wheel Removal Necessary?
ARMA SPEED

06-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #1
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Steering Trim Swap - Wheel Removal Necessary?

Hi all,

When replacing the MSport steering wheel trim, I know there is a screw on the back of the trim where each paddle is, as well as on the bottom. There is also one behind the airbag.

I am planning on adding in F80 paddles at the same time as I do a trim swap, do I need to take the wheel off for the trim swap or I can keep it on? I don't want to mess with the alignment.

I know the paddle swap does not require wheel removal.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You can't mess with the alignment. There's a spline on the shaft that fits into a channel on the wheel. It can only go on one way. It's a bit difficult to see the spline, so before pulling the wheel mark the wheel and spline. It's not like other cars I've had where you could pull the wheel and rotate it to get the wheel lined up right. You can only do that on the suspension. I've seen a number of threads where they had an alignment done and the tech didn't lock the wheel in the straight ahead position first, it got screwed up, and they couldn't fix it by pulling the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Just airbag removal is sufficient
Appreciate 0