F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Gloves for Msport steering wheel
Studio RSR

05-21-2021, 10:11 PM   #1
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Prepping for my first track day in the 335. Currently looking for some gloves because I have sweaty hands. It's an auto, so no shifting a gear lever, but I expect my hands to be sweaty on the leather wheel. Unfortunately my wheel is peeling badly, and there are some slick sections.

If you use gloves, what are you using and how is the grip with the Msport wheel "leather".

What kind of material should be on the grip side of racing gloves? I've looked on summit racing at some Racequip, Simpson, Sabelt, and gforce gloves and the palms all look to be some sort of suede or polyester in the sub$100 category. Would that get good grip on these steering wheels? Or will I be forced to go for the $170-200 range with OMP and others.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

No need to spend a fortune to get a grip. Try Mizuno Comp Golf gloves. The synthetic leather gives real grip on the leather wheel.
A pair of micro fibre golf gloves is slippery in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:32 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Prepping for my first track day in the 335. Currently looking for some gloves because I have sweaty hands. It's an auto, so no shifting a gear lever, but I expect my hands to be sweaty on the leather wheel. Unfortunately my wheel is peeling badly, and there are some slick sections.

If you use gloves, what are you using and how is the grip with the Msport wheel "leather".

What kind of material should be on the grip side of racing gloves? I've looked on summit racing at some Racequip, Simpson, Sabelt, and gforce gloves and the palms all look to be some sort of suede or polyester in the sub$100 category. Would that get good grip on these steering wheels? Or will I be forced to go for the $170-200 range with OMP and others.
You won't find quality racing gloves in polyester. They are designed to be fire resistant. Suede like materials like nomex are the standard.

If your wheel is especially slippery I recommend Sparco Tide. It has a micro suction cup type texture that grips like crazy. I also like them because the index finger has a capacitive touch material that allows you to use touch screen timing systems like the Gamin Catalyst or even your phone. They are pricey but you can get a discount at winding road if you are a PCA member or SCCA (I forgot which). But really, even the lower priced Sparcos will provide more grip. I have a spare set of Sparco Land gloves that work very well and they are only $90. No capacitive touch though.

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/tide#readmore

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post

You won't find quality racing gloves in polyester. They are designed to be fire resistant. Suede like materials like nomex are the standard.

If your wheel is especially slippery I recommend Sparco Tide. It has a micro suction cup type texture that grips like crazy. I also like them because the index finger has a capacitive touch material that allows you to use touch screen timing systems like the Gamin Catalyst or even your phone. They are pricey but you can get a discount at winding road if you are a PCA member or SCCA (I forgot which). But really, even the lower priced Sparcos will provide more grip. I have a spare set of Sparco Land gloves that work very well and they are only $90. No capacitive touch though.

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/tide#readmore
Did not think sparco would be a nice option until I saw someone in a work slack channel dedicated to car talk at an HPDE with his m3. He was wearing sparco gloves 😅. I had already found a place that had some OMP gloves in stock and bought them. Everywhere else was estimating August and September, and I am signing up for an event next month

https://www.saferacer.com/products/omp-sport-gloves
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0