F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > OEM Xenon lights, no aftermarket upgrades?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
BoostedMedic
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 N55

OEM Xenon lights, no aftermarket upgrades?

Hey all,

Maybe I’m missing something but I really wanted to change the look of my headlights. What I’m finding though is there is basically no options, all aftermarket units say they’re compatible with halogen models only.

My lights are the factory xenon option per vin decoder and also cause they’re bright AF.

I wanted to change from the factory style light to one with the M4 style LED running light with a black housing. Unfortunately I can’t find anything as all search results happen to be geared towards halogen equipped cars.

Would appreciate any help.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Yes the m3/m4 style lighting are the full LED headlight housing with the traditional angel eye DRL's, then they made an LCI LED change to the headlights that are full adaptive LED lights with the more modern looking U shaped DRL's.

I am not sure there is any after market alternative that sells full LED's (pre-lci or lci) for the f3* platform, you could buy OEM? they have the kit for sale on getbmwparts.com for north of $5k if you want it that bad?
      06-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
BoostedMedic
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 N55

So someone sent me these

https://www.protuninglab.com/02-az-b...d-u-p-hid.html

Says they’re compatible. Might just send it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't order any replacement lamps before seeing a verified review form someone who has them. The H7, LED and HID wiring etc is totally different. I'm skilled with auto electrical and I wouldn't dream of trying it without seeing a detailed installation manual, which they don't provide.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

If you're looking to retrofit LED headlights, I've bitten the bullet back in february this year. I've documented the upgrade in this thread.

Headlights are basically PnP, with no coding required and mostly headaches free (besides some stubborn bolts that I had trouble unscrewing). The only things you'll need to be wary about is alignment and bolts, way too many of them.

My tip to get the headlight alignment with the bumper spot on is to mark the way each headlight is seated with adhesive tape, before removing them, so as to make fitting the new ones as seamless and straightforward as possible.
Since the time I've purchased them, they've gone moderately in price (60 USD), but they're still a great value for the money spent. Great build & workmanship. The LEDs are quite bright, if that's what you're looking for.
Would you like to, I can take extra pictures.

Here's the link to the headlights I've purchased from AliExpress
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #6
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedMedic View Post
Hey all,

Maybe I'm missing something but I really wanted to change the look of my headlights. What I'm finding though is there is basically no options, all aftermarket units say they're compatible with halogen models only.

My lights are the factory xenon option per vin decoder and also cause they're bright AF.

I wanted to change from the factory style light to one with the M4 style LED running light with a black housing. Unfortunately I can't find anything as all search results happen to be geared towards halogen equipped cars.

Would appreciate any help.
Your best bet is to look up headlight customization shops. They will be able to open your housing, so custom work inside (e.g blacken the housing, modify the angel eye DRLs, etc) but still keep your OEM hid projectors.

A couple shops that come to mind are Lightwerkz, Bayoptiks, Bavgruppe. You will have to ship your headlights to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep

also an easier cheaper mod that I did recently and makes the front lights look good (I have the Bi-xenon's on my f32) is buying 6000k bulbs so they match the DRL halos and then coding the orange sidemarkers off so that they dont illuminate when the headlights are light but only rather when you use your turn signal or hazard lights.

It makes the front look a lot cleaner
      06-26-2021, 03:24 AM   #8
Mgeranimus
Registered
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
also an easier cheaper mod that I did recently and makes the front lights look good (I have the Bi-xenon's on my f32) is buying 6000k bulbs so they match the DRL halos and then coding the orange sidemarkers off so that they dont illuminate when the headlights are light but only rather when you use your turn signal or hazard lights.

Very nice solution to code the orange sidemarkers off in daylight mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgeranimus View Post
Very nice solution to code the orange sidemarkers off in daylight mode.
I dont think the orange side markers are illuminated when low beams are off and you only have the DRL's running?
      07-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post

Any picture of this mod?
and Wat to code?

thx
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #11
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaaron View Post
Any picture of this mod?
and Wat to code?

thx

watch this video from Thic Whips
he walks you through step by step how to do it, you will need an OBDII scan tool and the Bimmercode or Bimmerlink app.
      08-18-2021, 10:21 PM   #12
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Or you can do it in bmwai or eSYS. Was one of the first thing I did to my f31. I never run orange corner indicators on my bmws (e34 or e46 wagons either). Those are turn signals and turn signals only.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0