F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > losing oil
GetBMWParts

12-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
jake2106
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i Msport

losing oil

hey guys, first time making a thread.

I drive a 2015 330i M sport 2L.

its just told me that is was low on oil, i ran an oil check and it says it was on minimum and told me to put in 1 litre! ive since taken it to bmw and they have topped up the oil but they said it was really unusual for the car to be that low on oil.

so my question is, have any of you had this same issue in the same engine (B48B20O0), what was the issue and how was it resolved ?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2106 View Post
hey guys, first time making a thread.

I drive a 2015 330i M sport 2L.

its just told me that is was low on oil, i ran an oil check and it says it was on minimum and told me to put in 1 litre! ive since taken it to bmw and they have topped up the oil but they said it was really unusual for the car to be that low on oil.

so my question is, have any of you had this same issue in the same engine (B48B20O0), what was the issue and how was it resolved ?

thanks in advance
Welcome! This is an excellent forum with many helpful people.

I'm assuming the dealer checked for common leaks and found none. Curious how many miles are on your engine and how many miles since your last oil change? Are you certain that your oil level read full after your last oil change or is it possible that it wasn't filled completely? Probably good to just keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.

I've got a different engine ('15 N55) so I can't help you with specific information. I change my oil every 3k-5k miles and am never short a drop. But if you search on this forum you'll find discussions on oil consumption that almost sound like religious arguments. One group saying they never see a change in oil level and something must be wrong if you do. Others will swear that oil consumption is a normal regular thing with their BMW engine.

I don't know if anyone has ever looked at oil consumption reports by BMW engine and mileage to determine if there are any patterns to report?

On my N55 engine there are some common gasket leaks that need to be caught early or damage can occur. Things like oil filter housing and valve cover. With engines so crowded and with an engine cover hiding areas, I can see this happening without being spotted soon enough. I'm going to switch to Liqui Moly Molygen because it's a fluorescent green which makes it easier to spot an oil leak. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:57 PM   #3
jake2106
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks, the guys at bmw didnt check the car as i didnt have much time but i will be taking it into them soon to get the whole car looked after.

i have only owned it for about 4 weeks and was under the impression that it was properly serviced before i owned it as i bought it from a dealer, however it was not a bmw dealer so its likely mistakes were made.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:59 AM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I will say a small prayer and sacrifice an animal on your behalf. I hope nothings wrong.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2019, 01:38 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2106 View Post
thanks, the guys at bmw didnt check the car as i didnt have much time but i will be taking it into them soon to get the whole car looked after.

i have only owned it for about 4 weeks and was under the impression that it was properly serviced before i owned it as i bought it from a dealer, however it was not a bmw dealer so its likely mistakes were made.
Probably something as simple as the last person who changed the oil didn't top it off. If it was a non-BMW dealer you don't know for sure that they even used the correct oil and a quality filter. For piece of mind you may want to change it now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
mdchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

It’s quite easy to check the oil filter housing yourself to see if it’s leaking, just google it for what to look for. Mine recently did the same thing and that gasket was the culprit. I do oil changes at half of the recommended mileage and have never been low between changes before.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Unless this is happening quite frequently, I wouldn't worry about it. That engine holds 7L, with the "oil low" always comes on when you are down a full litre.

It will burn oil over time, which was common on my E90 335. My N54 took an extra 1L per oil change to keep it topped up. It just depends on the engine as some like to burn more than others.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:52 AM   #8
wantafastone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

My car makes me add a quart of oil every 5 months or so. But there's never any sign of leaking. I can't really explain it. Tends to happen after a very spirited driving session.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
jake2106
Enlisted Member
Rep

i took the car to BMW to get a health check and they had nothing to report, they said the car is in fantastic condition and that the oil filter housing wasn't leaking.

they did say that the car can potentially just burn the oil so i guess thats how i lost it, i do drive quite "spirited"
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Check for leaks and if you have any BMW code specific software try reading the car for codes and see if there is anything for the oil level sensor.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0