F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Question about demo vehicles
ARMA SPEED

03-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Question about demo vehicles

Looking at a used 2018 440i with 11k miles
dealer said it was an executive demo used at South Carolina facilities.
When I asked why it wasn't certified he said those cars cannot be certified.
Carfax shows it as a 1yr lease vehicle. Salesman said BMW basically leases it to themself for those demo Cars.

Does this all sound right?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

My car was an executive car and it is CPO. Carfax does not show a lease. In order to be CPO, the car has to meet some requirements.
See https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=57
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
mazdamx594
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i

This was likely a car used at the BMW Perfomance Center. The performance center offers customers who buy new bmws the opportunity to try an identical car to the one they purchased, on the track. The track cars get used heavily and cannot be certified due to the heavy use they receive. While I cannot be certain that your listing is a PCD car, its location and inability to be certified would make me nervous. Hope this helps!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdamx594 View Post
This was likely a car used at the BMW Perfomance Center. The performance center offers customers who buy new bmws the opportunity to try an identical car to the one they purchased, on the track. The track cars get used heavily and cannot be certified due to the heavy use they receive. While I cannot be certain that your listing is a PCD car, it’s location and inability to be certified would make me nervous. Hope this helps!

Chris
if this is the case sounds like I should try and push for more discount to afford extended warranty maybe.
Being tracked doesn't overly worry me. I've read engineers blamed N63 engine issues somewhat on cars not being driven hard enough. Different engine of course though.
it's around 20k off original msrp so I think it's a decent deal if I can get more off being it's non CPO.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
BMR_CK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
Carfax shows it as a 1yr lease vehicle. Salesman said BMW basically leases it to themself for those demo Cars.

Perhaps it is not really considered “Pre-owned” by BMW since it was only used by an employee. I leased an executive demo X5 and it only had the normal factory warranty and was not a CPO. It had 6500 miles on it. It would not bother me at all as long as it had the factory warranty...which it does. The CPO warranty is not the greatest anyway. Better than nothing, but it has a lot of exclusions.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

There is another thread here with a similar discussion. That car was almost $20,000 off IIRC. If the price is right, I'd jump on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

If you wanna post the link to the car and the CARFAX we can probably confirm some of the information you been told. Executive demos absolutely can be CPO’d.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Quote:

If you wanna post the link to the car and the CARFAX we can probably confirm some of the information you been told. Executive demos absolutely can be CPO’d.
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...#38;source=BUP

https://www.unitedbmw.com/detail-201...-18573118.html
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
The pricing is in line with it being an executive demo. While I would agree that the CPO isn’t an absolute deal breaker I would push them a little on that. Ask to see the original window sticker. If the car was used by a specific BMW employee it should have the last name on it. Unless it was used as a track vehicle at the Performance Center there’s no reason it can’t be CPO’d. If the price is right for you I wouldn’t discourage you from buying it.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
There is another thread here with a similar discussion. That car was almost $20,000 off IIRC. If the price is right, I'd jump on it.
Here's the link to that recent thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1591280
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:07 PM   #11
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

I was told, on the United BMW website, cars with a stock number that ends with an "A" are company car driven by one person.

Last edited by montr; 03-16-2019 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep

I swear I saw someone post name of the general manager for United. did it get deleted?
Who posted Jimmy Lively contact info?
PM me it if you can.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #13
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
This was likely a car used at the BMW Perfomance Center. The performance center offers customers who buy new bmws the opportunity to try an identical car to the one they purchased, on the track. The track cars get used heavily and cannot be certified due to the heavy use they receive. While I cannot be certain that your listing is a PCD car, it's location and inability to be certified would make me nervous. Hope this helps!

Chris
if this is the case sounds like I should try and push for more discount to afford extended warranty maybe.
Being tracked doesn't overly worry me. I've read engineers blamed N63 engine issues somewhat on cars not being driven hard enough. Different engine of course though.
it's around 20k off original msrp so I think it's a decent deal if I can get more off being it's non CPO.
Car being tracked doesn't bother you? Okay. Engine/drivetrain aside, track activity puts tremendous strain on the suspension and braking components.

I wouldn't touch that car. Obviously, different strokes for different folks. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
This was likely a car used at the BMW Perfomance Center. The performance center offers customers who buy new bmws the opportunity to try an identical car to the one they purchased, on the track. The track cars get used heavily and cannot be certified due to the heavy use they receive. While I cannot be certain that your listing is a PCD car, it's location and inability to be certified would make me nervous. Hope this helps!

Chris
Car being tracked doesn't bother you? Okay. Engine/drivetrain aside, track activity puts tremendous strain on the suspension and braking components.

I wouldn't touch that car. Obviously, different strokes for different folks. Good luck.
I'm trying to vet history of car.
Talked to BMW NA earlier.
Doesn't concern me much. just want to make sure what I'm told is the truth.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #15
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

The dealer not being forthright with you + the likelihood that the car has been tracked = Run!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #16
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

The dealer not being forthright with you + the likelihood that the car has been tracked = Run!
I didn't mean they hadn't been forthright.
I'm operating as trust but verify right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
First BMW I ever purchased was an Executive car (driven for 1yr had 4k miles on it) it was CPO

Car was as new condition, great price/warranty, never had a problem with it...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

I'm not trying to argue just for the sake of arguing; but that's a total BS "Reaganism" that has never made ANY sense. The word Trust is defined as "a firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something."

The fact that you're having to verify means you DON'T TRUST what they are telling you; and therefore are seeking to substantiate what they're telling you.

In any event, good luck. I genuinely hope it works out for you and you aren't saddled with out of warranty repairs costs; as they're typically frightfully expensive for German vehicles (at least for me).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #19
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

I'm not trying to argue just for the sake of arguing; but that's a total BS "Reaganism" that has never made ANY sense. The word Trust is defined as "a firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something."

The fact that you're having to verify means you DON'T TRUST what they are telling you; and therefore are seeking to substantiate what they're telling you.

In any event, good luck. I genuinely hope it works out for you and you aren't saddled with out of warranty repairs costs; as they're typically frightfully expensive for German vehicles (at least for me).
Whatever. it's a saying used frequently in Engineering at least.
It will be be a point of negotiation if nothing else.
The car is under warranty. If it has issues I'll do what I did on my previous ones. Walk in and hand the SA the service bulletins and say fix it....

I've owned 2 prior. I'm fairly handy. Did quite a few fixes on my N54 Bimmers so maintenance isn't too frightening for me.
We are far from a deal anyway. Sent me numbers showing some paint protection BS and charging me for LoJack which I have no desire for.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #20
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

Whatever. it's a saying used frequently in Engineering at least.
It will be be a point of negotiation if nothing else.
The car is under warranty. If it has issues I'll do what I did on my previous ones. Walk in and hand the SA the service bulletins and say fix it....

I've owned 2 prior. I'm fairly handy. Did quite a few fixes on my N54 Bimmers so maintenance isn't too frightening for me.
We are far from a deal anyway. Sent me numbers showing some paint protection BS and charging me for LoJack which I have no desire for.
Safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #21
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep

Ok. Update.
Dealer provided the build sheet and shipping info.
The car was used as a STEP training vehicle at the VPC in New Jersey
Listed as not eligible for CPO and EVP plans.
Sounds like if I wanted extended warranty 3rd party would be only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #22
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
I've read engineers blamed N63 engine issues somewhat on cars not being driven hard enough.
I'm an engineer and I'll tell you that is bullshlt, if there really is an engine that have problems because it's not driven hard enough, then it's a freaken design flaw.
Appreciate 0