F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
GetBMWParts

01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

I have zero wind noise as well.

3 series cars are assembled at several plants globally. I wonder if the problem could be associated with a particular assembly plant or part supplier to the plant since everyone is not having the problem?

For those having the problem, what assembly plant is noted in your VIN?

As other have mentioned, if you feel this is a problem warranting attention get your facts in order. Pinpoint specifically where the noise is coming from and at what speed. BMW tends to be very strict on what corrections dealers can perform.

BMW has a PUMA database and I would ask your service team to research any other vehicles having the same problem and the prescribed correction from corporate. It took BMW six months to correct a part defect in a product I own and I learned the hard way that BMW follows a strict problem remediation process.

Last edited by MotoEV; 01-08-2013 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #24
normsbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
How did they fix your passenger side??
to be honest I think they didn't even bother on the driver side. They didn't reset my service notification after my oil change. But on the passenger side they replaced the moulding according to the report. you should be able to get the car same day if you drop it off early.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

An NHTSA recall is issued for safety reasons. This type of recall is 'mandatory' as it is a legal requirement for the company to comply.
NHTSA typically deals only with these, safety related, types of issues.
Wind noise is not a safety issue.

However, BMW can issue a voluntary recall, as they did with the high pressure fuel pump failures. When a company issues a widespread voluntary recall, they typically send out information to customers to set up an appointment.

For BMW to issue a voluntary recall for wind noise, the problem has to be widespread with a number of customer logged complaints.
So if you do have excessive wind noise, then get an appointment and make sure you're dealer PROPERLY explains the problem so that it is logged into the system.

I don't have excessive wind noise at the front of the cabin. However, there is a more than expected overall level of tire and road noise throughout the cabin, mainly emanating from the rear wheel wells. I'm thinking this is a result of BMW's weight loss program for the F30. Seems BMW may have lessened the amount of noise isolation material, and possibly are also using thinner glass all around that is letting more noise/sound get through.

I know some are saying to shut off the audio so that one can hear the noise better. I say turn the audio up so that you can fix the issue yourself while enjoying your favorite tunes.
My audio is always on when I drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30, 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
An NHTSA recall is issued for safety reasons. This type of recall is 'mandatory' as it is a legal requirement for the company to comply.

However, BMW can issue a voluntary recall, as they did with the high pressure fuel pump failures. When a company issues a widespread voluntary recall, they typically send out information to customers to set up an appointment.

For BMW to issue a voluntary recall for wind noise, the problem has to be widespread with a number of customer logged complaints.
So if you do have excessive wind noise, then get an appointment and make sure you're dealer PROPERLY explains the problem so that it is logged into the system.

I don't have excessive wind noise at the front of the cabin. However, there is a more than expected overall level of tire and road noise throughout the cabin, mainly emanating from the rear wheel wells. I'm thinking this is a result of BMW's weight loss program for the F30. Seems BMW may have lessened the amount of noise isolation material, and possibly are also using thinner glass all around that is letting more noise/sound get through.

I know some are saying to shut off the audio so that one can hear the noise better. I say turn the audio up so that you can fix the issue yourself while enjoying your favorite tunes.

The noise is generated by the space (groove like) between mirror and the window. It would be exteremly odd if you dont have it. I would like to get into your car and verify!
      01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:

I agree with you. The noise I can hear is does appear to be coming from the rear wheel wells.
I am in the UK & obviously have a right hand drive car, I have sat in all the other seats whilst my wife drives the car and I don't hear this noise. I only hear it when I drive the car & it starts at about 15 MPH !
I have Pirelli tyres, & I blame them. Maybe I shouldn't, maybe it is lack of sound insulation.
I wonder if later built cars have more insulation ?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
hav2flynow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mineral White 328i Sport

Garage List
I have a Whistling Noise Too.. Sounds like the lower drivers windshield area. I have a new 2013.. Jan 1 2013.. Sounds like this problem has not been fixed. I rolled down the drivers window and could still hear the whistle.. so i know its not the drivers window.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav2flynow View Post
I have a Whistling Noise Too.. Sounds like the lower drivers windshield area. I have a new 2013.. Jan 1 2013.. Sounds like this problem has not been fixed. I rolled down the drivers window and could still hear the whistle.. so i know its not the drivers window.
Well I believe as long as your mirrors look like mine and others there is no expected difference. You had a very good observation, which lead me to believe the issue is not a defect: roll the window down and you still hear noise!

I have noticed however, that if you are driving in windy conditions, even low winds, the issue is aggravated. Some times I go 80 and I hear little noise, sometime i'm going 60 and feel like window is cracked open.
      01-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #30
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahramghs View Post
Well I believe as long as your mirrors look like mine and others there is no expected difference. You had a very good observation, which lead me to believe the issue is not a defect: roll the window down and you still hear noise!

I have noticed however, that if you are driving in windy conditions, even low winds, the issue is aggravated. Some times I go 80 and I hear little noise, sometime i'm going 60 and feel like window is cracked open.
I am almost sure it's the front windshield. I am taking my car in tmr, and hopefully they can fix it. Wish me good luck!
      01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #31
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am almost sure it's the front windshield. I am taking my car in tmr, and hopefully they can fix it. Wish me good luck!
oh mate, dont tell me you are going down the path of replacing your windshield. That's going to be a costly mistake! but good luck!
      01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #32
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
oh mate, dont tell me you are going down the path of replacing your windshield. That's going to be a costly mistake! but good luck!
I will tell the service dude to give me a heads up if they need to replace the windshield.
      01-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #33
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Wind and road roar are part and parcel of the F30 driving experience. Nearly every review has remarked on this particular lack of refinement.

Strangely, my car is very quiet. It is probably because it's got mismatched paint on the rear bumper and baggy leather on the driver seat. Small mercies.
      01-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Update: Dealer service dept had a more experienced tech ride with me again this morning, and found out the wind noise is coming from the car sun roof. Let's see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted!
      01-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #35
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Update: Dealer service dept had a more experienced tech ride with me again this morning, and found out the wind noise is coming from the car sun roof. Let's see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted!
Interesting to know, I have teh sunroof... When I hit 50 ish I hear wind noise but it comes from my right (RHD), sounds as if the drivers window is open a crack... I have ''closed it'' when it was already closed some 7 or 8 times thinking it was open!

When passenger window open a crack, or sunroof tilted the wind noise to my right gets worse which makes me think its a seal of some sort as it changes with cabin pressure...

Will watch for your replies...
      01-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #36
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Problem Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!! Dealer adujust the sun roof from my car by 2mm. The wind noise is gone completely!!
      01-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #37
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Problem Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!! Dealer adujust the sun roof from my car by 2mm. The wind noise is gone completely!!
finally problem solved nice1q`
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #38
m1kal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Is this problem on every f30?
      01-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #39
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I don't have excessive wind noise at the front of the cabin. However, there is a more than expected overall level of tire and road noise throughout the cabin, mainly emanating from the rear wheel wells.
Same for me, its there but not overly excessive. However, I did notice it more after getting an E90 loaner for a day.

Seems like its coming from the door and window area but that would be great if they found something in the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #40
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Nice one
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #41
hav2flynow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't see how the Mirror can cause a WHISTLE.. I understand wind noise from air movement and that does not bother me.. To make a whistle you have to have a small space with air coming thru??? You cannot whistle with your mouth open you have to tighten your lips to make a small space...also passenger side does not whistle. I will also check the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #42
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

I don't have the sunroof but get a whistling sound from around the right A pillar area. Will have the dealer look at it when I bring in the car for the ASS re-code.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #43
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

I have a Dec 2012 Build 328i baseline, no excessive noise or whistling that I can detect. Maybe you people are just used to much quieter cars, but I'd def say whatever sound I do here is not out of place or annoying/noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #44
hav2flynow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have a loud Whistle.. This is my 3rd BMW.. E90, E92 never had a problem.. Im not just being sensitive.. My passengers comment as well.. I checked the sunroof, its not that either.
Appreciate 0