F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Heated Steering Wheel Function Retrofit discussion and sharing
Extreme Powerhouse

09-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #23
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Thumbs up

I bought a 4 way plug then I can plug the heater controller into that via it's black 4 way socket that would normally go into A83*4B plug.

Then via new leads (made from pin and socket tails soldered back to back) from the 4 way to the to the yellow 6 way airbag connector pins 1&3.

Will solder later and heatshrink it up. Just need some time to fit it now...

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 09-12-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 03:56 AM   #24
djalexnl
Rep
Drives: f10

I started this retrofit this weekend as winter is coming. Have some questions hope some of you can help me with.

My car did not come with the vibrating motor so I had no power cables running to the steering column so I pulled two wires to the following connectors on the JBE

Z1*10B pin 8 (-) Brown/Red Cable
A34*3B pin 8 (+) Green/Blue Cable

I used free pins next to the airbag connectors I measured on the steering wheel column.
I added 248 option and VO code SZL_LWS ECU.

I have the following problem / error in ISTA-d:

steering wheel electronics module missing LIN slave.

(The button to activate the steering heating works and lids up if I turn it on)
Questions:

Do I need to VO code the JBBE to activate the pins to send 12 volt? Or is the power on the pins always on by default? I know some of you also did the same trick as me.

Also if I measure the pins I use (I use 2 free pins next to the airbag connector pins) in the steering wheel column I should read 12 volts coming thru right?

What does LIN slave mean? ( im dutch so I try to understand. Is it the + or – cable?)

I also had some problem with the Z1*10B pin 8 (-) using the pin part number
61130007438 is it the correct one? I think it’s in correct but I try to find the problem.

Also I have the question can I use the 61130005197 pins to put in the airbag plug free spots /holes I have a problem getting them in, is there a trick to getting them in? or do I need to use force? The plug looks different than the one next to it.

Hope you have some tips for me.

Thanx in advance and greetz!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 05:08 AM   #25
doughboy
Major General
Rep

djalexnl.

I'm in the same boat as you, (i have all the parts, but no time to do the mod yet). I need the 12v supply also.

But i'm confused, why are you connecting to Z1*10B pin 8 and A34*3B pin 8?

You can get the 12v supply direct from A83*3B pins 1&3 (airbag connector) right at the wheel location as picture below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #26
djalexnl
Rep

Hi doughboy,

No those wires are not there you will see when you remove the airbag from your steering wheel, the picture you have there is from someone who already performed the operation. You need to pull 2 wires from the JBE to get Ground and +12 Voltage to the steering wheel colomn.

Unless you already have heated steering wheel, or vibration motor, you need those 2 wires. In my case i didnt have either of them.

So I pulled the 2 wires to the JBE. the ground is connected and OK but i dont have the 12v, i still have to check the cable for errors, or the connector, or the fuse, to see if there is a problem with it as soon as i have some more time.

How far are you with the retrofit..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 02:12 AM   #27
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Hi, thanks for that.

Ah OK, so there is no supply at airbag 1&3 ? I thought from David's posts that the supply was ready to use there.

Yes I realise I have to add connections to position 1&3 of the airbag connector plug body (wheel side) as in the picture in post 25.

I've had the airbag off a while back to check and have bought the female connectors to go in the airbag socket 1&3 with flying leads and a female plug housing to connect directly to the heater controller module.

The lead set I have made up is shown in post 23 above to get 12v to heater control model.

Now I need a supply to the back of the clock spring unit....

I can't find circuit diagram for a 2016 m6 gc anywhere. I've got rehingold soft ware which I hoped would have diagrams but it doesn't...

Last edited by doughboy; 11-20-2016 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:56 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Bump....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 03:41 AM   #29
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Subscribing; very interested in this for my own F30.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #30
djalexnl
Rep

Well I finally got it done and it works perfectly.

The problems I had were bad connectors / pins I used.

The Z1*10B pin 8 is the + connector part number 61130007438 does not fit exactly but I got it to fit/sit.
The A34*3B pin 8 is the – connector I used “normal” pin part number 61130005197

The rest of them are all the “normal” pins but be careful to put them in the plugs. I’m not that technical and had to figure out how to disassemble the plugs and then insert the pins. But I learned a lot from doing this retrofit.
I used the free pins on the airbag which I measured with a multi-meter. I suggest to measure with a meter between the steps if you planning to do this retrofit. Also take your time if you are not that technical.

Pulling the wire form the steering column to the JBE was not easy in my case so patience was needed but in the end I got the job done.

Since I already had a KAFAS cam I bought a steering wheel with vibration motor Heat module and flippers and now I also have Lane Departure Warning 5AD working.

So in short terms, remove the airbag, remove the steering wheel, remove the SZL pull 2 wires to the JBE + and – to the SZL so you have 12 V. use free pins next to wires used for the airbag (measure with multi-meter). (re) place the switch in the SZL so you can activate the heat module. Place the SZL back with the new wires connected, put the steering wheel back and final the airbag.

Diagrams are in ISTA+ for my car F10 07-2012.

The rest is coding and you’re done.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #31
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Nice one Alex!

I know exactly what to do now, thanks to research and your help, but time is my enemy now. Holidays coming etc. Could do with it now as the cold weather is here!

Accessing the JBE is my biggest problem (F06) . Might go for cigarette lighter 12v supply instead as it's easier / closer
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #32
djalexnl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Nice one Alex!

I know exactly what to do now, thanks to research and your help, but time is my enemy now. Holidays coming etc. Could do with it now as the cold weather is here!

Accessing the JBE is my biggest problem (F06) . Might go for cigarette lighter 12v supply instead as it's easier / closer
I am not so sure if that will work. I think you will need to connect to the JBE.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 02:23 AM   #33
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Hi alex, i'll try it and see, I can't see why it won't work though. Cig lighter is an ignition switched supply.

I see you have an F10, I have F06 which shares many parts. Can you advise which modules and what to code? I use the E-sys package for coding, but unless I know what to look for (my German is bad) I struggle to find new coding elements..

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #34
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Yes! all done.

Finally got time to dive in. thanks alex and all for advice. You just have to be brave to pull you car to pieces, but I learned a lot and it all works!

I bought a regular heated M6 wheel, had it re-trimmed as an alcantara M-Performance wheel (which is not available heated).

Now I have a unique alcantara heated wheel!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #35
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Welp.

I bought my 335i a week ago.

It had a retrofitted m performance steering wheel. I also have lane change assist.

Who ever retrofitted the steering wheel, retrofitted one WITHOUT the vibration generator.

So I ordered one with the vibration generator. F80 one too!

I am not sure yet if it is heated as I cannot see from the images (can see it has the vibration motor though, and 2 plugs).

So, I am hoping it is heated as well! If it is, I will be doing the heated steering wheel retrofit as well. Will post my results if it turns out its heated.

Bare in mind, alot of the above does not apply to me as I had lane change assist originally (before the previous owner retrofitted the steering wheel)... So my vehicle already has the 12V 4 pin plug.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 01:09 AM   #36
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Hi,

I have decided to do this retrofit too on my F31!

I bought the heated steering wheel, the button and the plastic under the steering where the button is placed.

I knew from the beginning that i don't have the heated whires and i need to use the airbag pins.

I talked with someone from my country who does retrofits and he advised me not to do this because the normal SZL has thin whires and it's risky!

Did anyone who used this method (airbag pins) had any problems?

I want to do this and next year to buy the correct SZL to have everything in order!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #37
doughboy
Major General
Rep

No problems here, I've also turned up the heat current settings in esys and it is still fine.

This is an F30 forum, but djalexnl and myself have F10 and F06 cars, there is a difference in module's and comms structure between our cars and f30.

Airbags take a lot of current to operate so any connections for an airbag should be fine for 2 or 3 amp's wheel heating.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 03:18 AM   #38
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

I'm in the midle of this retrofit too, as I already have installed new SZL with power for vibrations and heating module, I bought heating button too and installed it. But I have a big problem with steering wheel. It has only 2 wires for heating. It doesn't have the 4 wires connector from the steering wheel to the heating module. Is there any way to install my self that NTC sensor that tels to ECU how mucht to heat?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #39
mortlock7
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 320d

Hi guys,

I'd like some help if possible!

I understand contacting the control unit to the 12v power supply by picking up pins 1&3 on A83*3B, however I'm a little confused about everything else. How do you connect the button to the unit through the SZL? and does it have to connect to the fusebox? I'm not too up to speed with the abbreviations either (what is JBE?) so if anyone could run me through a step-by-step process of the entire thing I would be really grateful! Or even just a simple schematic/drawing of what wires connect where would help a lot.

Thanks in advance
      01-30-2017, 05:35 AM   #40
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post
I'm in the midle of this retrofit too, as I already have installed new SZL with power for vibrations and heating module, I bought heating button too and installed it. But I have a big problem with steering wheel. It has only 2 wires for heating. It doesn't have the 4 wires connector from the steering wheel to the heating module. Is there any way to install my self that NTC sensor that tels to ECU how mucht to heat?
Where do you get the heated wheel from? Is it the correct type for your car? AFAIK the current heated BMW wheels all have 4 wires.

Have you run the new power to the new SZL from the JBE (fuse box) also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortlock7 View Post
Hi guys,

I'd like some help if possible!

I understand contacting the control unit to the 12v power supply by picking up pins 1&3 on A83*3B, however I'm a little confused about everything else. How do you connect the button to the unit through the SZL? and does it have to connect to the fusebox? I'm not too up to speed with the abbreviations either (what is JBE?) so if anyone could run me through a step-by-step process of the entire thing I would be really grateful! Or even just a simple schematic/drawing of what wires connect where would help a lot.

Thanks in advance
It is fairly tricky. There is no power on A83*3B 1 and 3 they are just spares, you have to run new power from the JBE (junction box electronics) to the back of the SZL where it will be sent to A83*3B 1 & 3.

Then you can use that voltage on A83*3B 1&3 to power the heating controller.

The heating switch plugs into the back of the SZL, the heater switching is done over the LIN network on the car, it is not a simple electrical switch.

I have an F06 M6 Gran coupe which is slightly different to and F30 but almost the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #41
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I have power wires already routed, because I have vibrations. I didn't understand what you wanted to say : all F series BMW have or don't have 4 wires for steering wheel heating?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #42
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post
I have power wires already routed, because I have vibrations. I didn't understand what you wanted to say : all F series BMW have or don't have 4 wires for steering wheel heating?
OK if you have vibrations then you have everything you need, no need for new SZL no need to run power to SZL.

According to ISTA information all F series heated steering wheels have 4 wires, 2 power and 2 temp sensor.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #43
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Yes, that is my problem, my steering wheel doesn't have the 2 wires for temp sensor, and I don't know what value has that NTC thermo resistor.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #44
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Is it an F series steering wheel?
Appreciate 0