F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M4 Woes - Replacement Incoming....**PICS**
Extreme Powerhouse

06-03-2018, 02:53 AM   #89
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramley View Post
The screen is the fundamental part of the iPhone X, two white dots on the bonnet of a car isn’t... there are also 100’s of identical ones out the back to swap it with.

I know you want the car to be perfect, I get that, but it sounds like you’re going over it all in such minute detail that you’re always going to find a mark somewhere.
On the other side of the argument, do BMW advertise their new cars as coming with stone chips? Do they add them on the production line? Would the Quality department advocate stone chips on their brand new products as fully quality inspected and approved? Were the stone chips optional extras that were added at time of order?

As the answer to all the above is an unequivocal 'No', then it's only right that the consumer should expect their brand new product to be delivered as advertised, agreed and expected.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 3
Rukka2647.00
harvs43114.00
t5pilot977.50
      06-03-2018, 04:32 AM   #90
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
The screen is the fundamental part of the iPhone X, two white dots on the bonnet of a car isn’t... there are also 100’s of identical ones out the back to swap it with.

I know you want the car to be perfect, I get that, but it sounds like you’re going over it all in such minute detail that you’re always going to find a mark somewhere.
Would you accept a brand new £6k leather sofa / suite if the sofa had visible white marks or even single mark that was visible against sofa colour?

There is always a fine line on acceptance criteria, this usually gets tighter as the price increases.
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      06-03-2018, 05:14 AM   #91
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

OP - fon’t apologise for your expectations being high.

This is piss poor form really from BMW here!

When it comes to cars, my expectations are off the charts.
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      06-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #92
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
On the other side of the argument, do BMW advertise their new cars as coming with stone chips? Do they add them on the production line? Would the Quality department advocate stone chips on their brand new products as fully quality inspected and approved? Were the stone chips optional extras that were added at time of order?

As the answer to all the above is an unequivocal 'No', then it's only right that the consumer should expect their brand new product to be delivered as advertised, agreed and expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Would you accept a brand new £6k leather sofa / suite if the sofa had visible white marks or even single mark that was visible against sofa colour?

There is always a fine line on acceptance criteria, this usually gets tighter as the price increases.
This is a tough one really, and I can see both sides of the opinion.

When you spend a lot of money on a brand new item you expect it to be perfect, but a car isn’t an electronic device that can be completely packaged to protect it during transport, so no brand new car is perfect as there’s just too many variables in the manufacturing and transportation of the car coming hundreds of miles from Germany! Also you can take a new iPhone out of the box and put a case and screen protector on it to keep it perfect indefinitely, but there is no way of keeping a car perfect, unless you leave it in the garage and don’t drive it.

The detailer who prepared my car at the dealership found all sorts of paint defects that he had to correct, admittedly not stone chips, but if there had of been I would have accepted a free smart repair and some money off the car as compensation.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #93
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When you spend a lot of money on a brand new item you expect it to be perfect, but a car isn’t an electronic device that can be completely packaged to protect it during transport, so no brand new car is perfect as there’s just too many variables in the manufacturing and transportation of the car coming hundreds of miles from Germany! Also you can take a new iPhone out of the box and put a case and screen protector on it to keep it perfect indefinitely, but there is no way of keeping a car perfect, unless you leave it in the garage and don’t drive it.

The detailer who prepared my car at the dealership found all sorts of paint defects that he had to correct, admittedly not stone chips, but if there had of been I would have accepted a free smart repair and some money off the car as compensation.
I get it - i really do but Corrections that a detailer can do don't normally involve paint. This is the key for me.

Yes they are only a few small white spots but they really show up on an Orange background.

To "correct" this car will require the bonnet and drivers side wing re-painting.

Add to that a scratch on the drivers side quarter panel (valeted added extra) and it's adding up to 40% of a "new" car being resprayed. That, to me, now doesn't pass muster as a new car at all.

On the YMB one that has just been delivered, the 3 chips are small and the Bodyshop is going to have a go at sorting them. If acceptable then I'll take it and move on but if not, I'll happily wait for another in September

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
t5pilot977.50
      06-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #94
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The screen is the fundamental part of the iPhone X, two white dots on the bonnet of a car isn't... there are also 100's of identical ones out the back to swap it with.

I know you want the car to be perfect, I get that, but it sounds like you're going over it all in such minute detail that you're always going to find a mark somewhere.
Quote:

Quote:

When you spend a lot of money on a brand new item you expect it to be perfect, but a car isn't an electronic device that can be completely packaged to protect it during transport, so no brand new car is perfect as there's just too many variables in the manufacturing and transportation of the car coming hundreds of miles from Germany! Also you can take a new iPhone out of the box and put a case and screen protector on it to keep it perfect indefinitely, but there is no way of keeping a car perfect, unless you leave it in the garage and don't drive it.

I get it - i really do but Corrections that a detailer can do don't normally involve paint. This is the key for me.

Yes they are only a few small white spots but they really show up on an Orange background.

To "correct" this car will require the bonnet and drivers side wing re-painting.

Add to that a scratch on the drivers side quarter panel (valeted added extra) and it's adding up to 40% of a "new" car being resprayed. That, to me, now doesn't pass muster as a new car at all.

On the YMB one that has just been delivered, the 3 chips are small and the Bodyshop is going to have a go at sorting them. If acceptable then I'll take it and move on but if not, I'll happily wait for another in September

Surely the whole panel doesn't need repainting just for some stone chips though? A dab of touch up paint, some lacquer then flattened down and polished up and you'd never notice them! I certainly wouldn't want whole panels resprayed on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:42 AM   #95
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Surely the whole panel doesn't need repainting just for some stone chips though? A dab of touch up paint, some lacquer then flattened down and polished up and you'd never notice them! I certainly wouldn't want whole panels resprayed on a new car.
He's having a go at touching them in and we'll see where we go from there. Trouble is, they are right in the middle of the door so will need to be invisible otherwise I'll see them every time I walk up to the car.

Apparently, YMB is a really easy colour to match

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 04:45 AM   #96
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
He's having a go at touching them in and we'll see where we go from there. Trouble is, they are right in the middle of the door so will need to be invisible otherwise I'll see them every time I walk up to the car.

Apparently, YMB is a really easy colour to match
Given all the problems you've had I'd have thought your dealer would have been all over this latest car to make sure it was absolutely spot on prior to you seeing it - bit disappointing that's not the case.

As others have said, it's sadly not an uncommon occurrence for new BMW's to have shoddy paintwork from the factory but, as has been suggested earlier, in your circumstances I think I'd be saying I want a full professional detail at their expense. That will almost certainly give you the end result you want and you can then move on and hopefully start enjoying the car!
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      06-06-2018, 04:00 AM   #97
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, bodyshop did a local repair and you know what? I can't see where its been done! Fcuking brilliant!

Sales manager said that if in a few months, 6 months or 12 months I wasn't happy with it, they would repaint it at their expense. So I'm more than happy with the outcome.

So we're back on now. Just needs the bodykit fitting and for a good will gesture, they are fitting the side blades too

Pickup is scheduled for next Tuesday so I'm booking two days off and detailing it myself. Dealer is under strict instructions not to wash it before I collect as, as it stands, there are next to no marks on the paintwork so will take me very little time to fully correct

Some teaser pics of the new against the "old"

Rukka
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-06-2018, 04:08 AM   #98
4fooksake
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

Absolutely stunning
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      06-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #99
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

They both look stunning
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      06-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #100
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
They both look shite.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:15 AM   #101
scouse stelth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D

You have had some problems with them are you still using the same dealership
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:21 AM   #102
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse stelth View Post
You have had some problems with them are you still using the same dealership

Yep - same dealership. It's not really their problem if BMW ship out shite paint jobs and the dealer has been really good in working with me to get the replacement/s and the repair done.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:22 AM   #103
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
They both look shite.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:26 AM   #104
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

After all that the dealer should have offered you free service as long as you own the car.

Evdok

Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      06-06-2018, 04:27 AM   #105
philiper1
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i LCI

Garage List
I still prefer the SO to the blue, but glad you are almost there hopefully the weather holds and have a great collection day
Rukka2647.00
      06-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #106
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i MSport GC

Quote:
Well, bodyshop did a local repair and you know what? I can't see where its been done! Fcuking brilliant!

Sales manager said that if in a few months, 6 months or 12 months I wasn't happy with it, they would repaint it at their expense. So I'm more than happy with the outcome.

So we're back on now. Just needs the bodykit fitting and for a good will gesture, they are fitting the side blades too

Pickup is scheduled for next Tuesday so I'm booking two days off and detailing it myself. Dealer is under strict instructions not to wash it before I collect as, as it stands, there are next to no marks on the paintwork so will take me very little time to fully correct

Some teaser pics of the new against the "old"

Rukka
Mate that looks the business. Glad it's sorted and your happy. Can't wait to see her in the flesh on the 8th. Great news.
Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:
F36 440i M Sport GC STORMTROOPER

Previous:
F30 320d M Sport Xdrive STORMTROOPER
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      06-06-2018, 04:49 AM   #107
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Good outcome, seems to me your dealer has handled the situation as well as they could be expected to... Of the standard colours, I much prefer YMB + it's an M colour - personally I think SO is a bit dark & doesn't stand out on a cloudy day - you just need to get 2 more doors fitted & it would be perfect - 2 weeks to go for mine & I'm hoping you've now taken delivery of all the duff ones they were shipping...
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      06-06-2018, 04:53 AM   #108
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
By the way, why didn't it come form the factory in carbon or are you not going for the full carbon pack?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:59 AM   #109
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
By the way, why didn't it come form the factory in carbon or are you not going for the full carbon pack?
What's in the factory carbon pack? I didn't know there was one

The external carbon this is having fitted are all MP parts. Rear diffuser, Rear spoiler and front splitter. Side blades are just matt plastic from what I've seen.

I do have the carbon dash trims inside too.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #110
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
What's in the factory carbon pack? I didn't know there was one

The external carbon this is having fitted are all MP parts. Rear diffuser, Rear spoiler and front splitter. Side blades are just matt plastic from what I've seen.

I do have the carbon dash trims inside too.

Full Carbon Exterior Pack (ZZC) is £3000 list and includes front & lower trims (splitter), diffuser & spoiler - all carbon. No side skirts. Mirrors are extra and another £400 list... In addition to the dash trim there is an interior pack too (I didn't have that as you can't then have a heated wheel). I have a July 17 brochure & it was in there so not new... I don't think you save much compared to doing what you have done anyway... I also decided to go for the side foils in the end (not skirts though) - wasn't sure originally but saw one and that convinced me!
Appreciate 0