F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catted vs Catless
Studio RSR

02-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #23
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2thejay View Post
ER HFC DP claims they will not throw a CEL. Some people have had the CEL go on, some have driven in for 50k miles+ and still no CEL. The "pops and bangs" will not happen with a HFC DP unless you get flash tuned. No piggy back will do that. ALSO, if you have a N26, you can technically still go catless without that much of a smell because of the secondary cat we have.

If you're spending so much on a HFC DP, you might as well get a flash tune + catless DP to get the real performance gains + your "pops and bangs"

I'm running catless DP + exhaust + piggy back dinan tune and I don't get the "pops and bangs".

The real problem is that were running the N20/N26 4 banger. If we had the 335, we wouldn't even need a downpipe for pops and bangs. Just a upgraded muffler and midpipe.
what exactly is your setup? what exhaust system do you have? which dinan piggy back? I am pretty much looking for the exact sound the car in the video posted above makes (assuming it's yours). any CELs with you DP? sorry for so many questions, but I really want the sound of that N20 in that video. I should mention I currently have Dinantronics sport and an M Performance Axel Back exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:15 AM   #24
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
what exactly is your setup? what exhaust system do you have? which dinan piggy back? I am pretty much looking for the exact sound the car in the video posted above makes (assuming it's yours). any CELs with you DP? sorry for so many questions, but I really want the sound of that N20 in that video. I should mention I currently have Dinantronics sport and an M Performance Axel Back exhaust

Dinantronic Sport + is the piggy back.

I'm running 3" single straight pipe with stock resonator into a Y pipe after the rear axle (where the muffler would be) into 2, 2.25" exhaust tips.

VRSF Catless Downpipe - yes there is a CEL. There are a few people who try to get around it by using a spark plug non-fouler. OR you can get a flash tune and have the code permanently deleted.

Feel free to follow my exhaust thread
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1058863

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #25
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Dinantronic Sport + is the piggy back.

I'm running 3" single straight pipe with stock resonator into a Y pipe after the rear axle (where the muffler would be) into 2, 2.25" exhaust tips.

VRSF Catless Downpipe - yes there is a CEL. There are a few people who try to get around it by using a spark plug non-fouler. OR you can get a flash tune and have the code permanently deleted.

Feel free to follow my exhaust thread
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1058863
gotcha. thanks for that!. is there way to delete the CEL with a code reader or a tool of that ilk? I can't believe the only way is with a flash tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #26
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
gotcha. thanks for that!. is there way to delete the CEL with a code reader or a tool of that ilk? I can't believe the only way is with a flash tune.
obdll code readers can clear cel but it would come right back within a few minutes of driving because it detects the cat is not doing it's job

you have to suppress the cel either electronically or passively. flash or electronic 02 sim is basically sending signal to the dme that the cat is doing its job. you can try a spark plug non-fouler that does it passively, not sure how it works but apparently it does...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1462333
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      02-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #27
Nd0udoinwork
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivef30 View Post
I have a ER catless downpipe. I can vouch for the smell in the cabin NOT being noticeable. Smell outside the car is noticeable but it just smells like fuel burning, like a old muscle car or like a lawn mower fuel burning smell. Nothing bad at all.

As for performance keep stock dp if you want something catted.High flow is 30% to 50% more airflow but its not that much performance considering stock isn't that restrictive itself. I will say go for CATLESS, spend less and get more performance. The money saved can go towards a tune or JB4.

Let me know if you have any questions. Im sure you wont regret going catless, I may be posting my ER catless pipe, so if interested message me (Im in Michigan aswell, near Troy. I can also code your car through ESYS if wanted (saw your post about sport trans, paddles etc) Where about are you?)
Quote:
I have a ER catless downpipe. I can vouch for the smell in the cabin NOT being noticeable. Smell outside the car is noticeable but it just smells like fuel burning, like a old muscle car or like a lawn mower fuel burning smell. Nothing bad at all.

As for performance keep stock dp if you want something catted.High flow is 30% to 50% more airflow but its not that much performance considering stock isn't that restrictive itself. I will say go for CATLESS, spend less and get more performance. The money saved can go towards a tune or JB4.

Let me know if you have any questions. Im sure you wont regret going catless, I may be posting my ER catless pipe, so if interested message me (Im in Michigan aswell, near Troy. I can also code your car through ESYS if wanted (saw your post about sport trans, paddles etc) Where about are you?)
I'm actually in Macomb so maybe a 20 minute drive! I've been trying to find someone to code 2tb, launch control and sports+
Appreciate 1
drivef30111.00
      02-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #28
Nd0udoinwork
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red 328i XDrive

Quote:

was really hoping to get a response, i'd love my car codes from you.
Appreciate 1
drivef30111.00
      02-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #29
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nd0udoinwork View Post
was really hoping to get a response, i'd love my car codes from you.
Did you PM them? If they don't respond, I could remote code it for you.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #30
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
obdll code readers can clear cel but it would come right back within a few minutes of driving because it detects the cat is not doing it's job

you have to suppress the cel either electronically or passively. flash or electronic 02 sim is basically sending signal to the dme that the cat is doing its job. you can try a spark plug non-fouler that does it passively, not sure how it works but apparently it does...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1462333
+1

The tunes just basically clear codes every so often to suppress the light.. If you manually clear usually it won't come on during the drive cycle, but it does vary.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #31
shubhammakharia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F30 N26

Hi Phil2thejay

Are you running a DP, catted or catless?
What's your mid pipe config like, stock? (2nd cat and resonator).

If both, catless dp and stock mid pipe, how is smell and sound like in/outside the cabin. What's your overall advice about turbocharging/switching downpipe of F320 328i N26. Any Videos? Power and torque numbers?

Thank you.

Quote:
ER HFC DP claims they will not throw a CEL. Some people have had the CEL go on, some have driven in for 50k miles+ and still no CEL. The "pops and bangs" will not happen with a HFC DP unless you get flash tuned. No piggy back will do that. ALSO, if you have a N26, you can technically still go catless without that much of a smell because of the secondary cat we have.

If you're spending so much on a HFC DP, you might as well get a flash tune + catless DP to get the real performance gains + your "pops and bangs"

I'm running catless DP + exhaust + piggy back dinan tune and I don't get the "pops and bangs".

The real problem is that were running the N20/N26 4 banger. If we had the 335, we wouldn't even need a downpipe for pops and bangs. Just a upgraded muffler and midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #32
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My wife has a full/catless exhaust. I installed the down pipe with a $3 spark plug defouler.
She has never gotten a CEL or complained about the catless smell, actually said she liked it lol. I think you might need to harden up lol....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #33
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Last time I cleared my CEL with OBD Fusion it lasted almost 400 miles before coming back on..

and I'm catless