F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dinantronics stage 1 install issue - no power to ECU?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-08-2019, 04:39 AM   #1
ogelneb
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive Coupe

Dinantronics stage 1 install issue - no power to ECU?

Greetings all - newb member here... I just bought a 2015 428i xDrive Coupe Sport Line with Premium package and M Sport brakes. It had 29,000km on the odo when I bought it and it drives like new. I was really looking for a 435 but the 428 was such a good deal that I could not pass it up. I love the car, but wouldn't mind a little extra hp and torque. This will be a commuter car and I don't plan to track it or anything of the sort.

Fast forward a couple of weeks... In an effort to get closer to 435I power I bought and installed a used DINANTRONICS D440-1632-ST1 on Saturday. Following the instructions, the install was very straightforward and took me about an hour, making sure all of the wiring and harnesses were secured and routed neatly.

As per instructions, after install I did a OBDII scan with the ignition on (engine off). I am getting DTC code U1164. The car is showing multiple warnings (ABS malfunction, drivetrain, etc). Obviously I did not attempt to start the car. I went back to go over the install and noticed the red LED light on the ecu is not coming on. Is this normal? Right now I am guessing the ECU is not powering up, which is probably causing the issues I am seeing. I removed the kit and reverted back to the stock connections, and the car runs fine with no CEL or codes. I am now thinking this used kit I bought might have a fried ECU, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue during installation? Any input / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogelneb View Post
Greetings all - newb member here... I just bought a 2015 428i xDrive Coupe Sport Line with Premium package and M Sport brakes. It had 29,000km on the odo when I bought it and it drives like new. I was really looking for a 435 but the 428 was such a good deal that I could not pass it up. I love the car, but wouldn't mind a little extra hp and torque. This will be a commuter car and I don't plan to track it or anything of the sort.

Fast forward a couple of weeks... In an effort to get closer to 435I power I bought and installed a used DINANTRONICS D440-1632-ST1 on Saturday. Following the instructions, the install was very straightforward and took me about an hour, making sure all of the wiring and harnesses were secured and routed neatly.

As per instructions, after install I did a OBDII scan with the ignition on (engine off). I am getting DTC code U1164. The car is showing multiple warnings (ABS malfunction, drivetrain, etc). Obviously I did not attempt to start the car. I went back to go over the install and noticed the red LED light on the ecu is not coming on. Is this normal? Right now I am guessing the ECU is not powering up, which is probably causing the issues I am seeing. I removed the kit and reverted back to the stock connections, and the car runs fine with no CEL or codes. I am now thinking this used kit I bought might have a fried ECU, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue during installation? Any input / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds simple, but you have to make sure those connectors for the ecu harnesses are fully seated (all the way in) to the Dinan connectors. If they are not making good contact they will throw malfunctions. And the locking mechanism starts moving before they are fully seated, giving the illusion that they are all the way on. You almost have to block the locking mechanism with your finger while you press the pieces together to ensure proper contact. The guy who sold me my Stg1 was nice enough to give me this advice on delivery and it wasn't obvious to me so it was helpful on install. It's pretty simple otherwise, if you have confirmed that you have the correct ecu for your engine, that is.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
ogelneb
Rep

Thanks for the tip, I will give it another try. It should be the correct ecu for my car as the kit came off the same model / engine / wastegate type.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
ogelneb
Rep

Well, thanks are in order... I re-installed everything and did as you suggested with the harness connections. It’s very deceptive, as you think you have a good connection when it clicks but as you said, one socket wasn’t quite all the way in... I am now happy to report that the tune is working and hasn’t thrown any codes. Gracias!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Also make sure to use electronic cleaners on the connectors before the install, or you may have a drivetrain malfunction warning after 50 miles ish...
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Well, thanks are in order... I re-installed everything and did as you suggested with the harness connections. It’s very deceptive, as you think you have a good connection when it clicks but as you said, one socket wasn’t quite all the way in... I am now happy to report that the tune is working and hasn’t thrown any codes. Gracias!
Right on! Stupid design, but I am a big fan of the resulting performance. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:37 AM   #7
ogelneb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
Also make sure to use electronic cleaners on the connectors before the install, or you may have a drivetrain malfunction warning after 50 miles ish...
I cleaned the connectors when I did my first attempt, but not again when I installed the tune the second time. I am thinking it should be ok, but I'll be on the lookout for any warnings in the next little while. If something pops up, I'll know why and how to address it, so thanks for that.

I can certainly feel a difference with the tune, and I've read that performance may improve further as the car adapts. Time will tell. I'm pretty happy with the results so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I'm 99% sure the Dinantronics harness is defective. The voltage that runs through it is very low (.5A), any variance in power command/supply causes the vehicle to throw an error.

It happened to me and no one could figure what was wrong, since the fault codes would pop up intermittently. It was total nightmare and it had me hating Dinan.

However, with a brand new harness and some dielectric grease within the prongs, since then, the issue hasn't reoccurred in over 2 years.

There are two harnesses available from Dinan; one with only a power supply for the Dinantronics ECU and a more revised version with a power and a separate ground plug. Make sure and get the latter, this will solve all the fault issues mentioned.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
ogelneb
Rep

Ok, I will definitely look into doing that if I get any more codes. I’ve only had it installed for a day, but so far so good. Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      10-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #10
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm 99% sure the Dinantronics harness is defective. The voltage that runs through it is very low (.5A), any variance in power command/supply causes the vehicle to throw an error.

It happened to me and no one could figure what was wrong, since the fault codes would pop up intermittently. It was total nightmare and it had me hating Dinan.

However, with a brand new harness and some dielectric grease within the prongs, since then, the issue hasn't reoccurred in over 2 years.

There are two harnesses available from Dinan; one with only a power supply for the Dinantronics ECU and a more revised version with a power and a separate ground plug. Make sure and get the latter, this will solve all the fault issues mentioned.
Thank you for pointing this out. I initially had the error when I did not apply any electronic cleaner. I haven't had much problem after I "cleaned" them. My harness has the ground wire though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
ogelneb
Rep

Quote:
Did you have to call them to order the replacement harness? I can’t seem to find where to order one from the website.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

How's the car driving after the install, noticeable performance bump?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you have to call them to order the replacement harness? I can't seem to find where to order one from the website.
You have to call them directly, it cost like $500 or you can do a search on EBay for "Dinantronics Harness" and specify 4 cylinder version.

Just make sure and get the version with a separate power & ground plug.

Maybe Dinan_Engineering can guild you in the right direction.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #14
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
For N55, it is noticeable when you uninstall it. Stage 1 was too mild so I switched to stage 2. Not much difference over stage 1, but when I removed it for a dealership visit, oh boy I missed that power
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 04:28 AM   #15
ogelneb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
I certainly noticed it right away. There is definitely a difference when stepping on it, for example when accelerating from 80 to 120 (km/h, eh?). I wouldn't go as far as saying it quite matches the 435 (I test drove a few when shopping), but it's close.

Also, EcoPro mode appears to be unaffected, which is good for my daily commute in bumper to bumper traffic.

Of course, take all of the above with a grain of salt, as I've only had a few of days with the tune.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 04:33 AM   #16
ogelneb
Rep

Quote:
You have to call them directly, it cost like $500 or you can do a search on EBay for "Dinantronics Harness" and specify 4 cylinder version.

ok, thanks Poochie. Mine is a 2015 version with the power lead only. Perhaps the fact that the ecu is grounded thru the harness itself is what becomes problematic in the long run?

Anyway, I will only replace my harness if I get more codes, none so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

Edit: I should add that if it weren’t for the help received here, I’d be stuck. I emailed Dinan 5 days ago when I was experiencing the installation issue but didn’t get a response.

Last edited by ogelneb; 10-11-2019 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Additional information
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

ok, thanks Poochie. Mine is a 2015 version with the power lead only. Perhaps the fact that the ecu is grounded thru the harness itself is what becomes problematic in the long run?

Anyway, I will only replace my harness if I get more codes, none so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

Edit: I should add that if it weren't for the help received here, I'd be stuck. I emailed Dinan 5 days ago when I was experiencing the installation issue but didn't get a response.
I'm pretty sure that single power lead that's "piggybacking" it's ground connection to the Dinantronics sometimes gets overload and throws and error.

Like I said, the voltage running through the harness is very low, any changes in its flow, the vehicle assumes there is an issue with the related sensor.

I've notice this is an issue also with BMW taillights and the turn signal 'rapid flashing' at times. It always come down to an overtaxed ground balance.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25228472

Dinan revised the harness sometime around 2016. I am an early adopter, so I had the first generation, which I've learned is the root cause the issue you're having. After a new harness, this issue never resurfaced.

I dealt with Dinan directly many years ago and since then, I heard they had some major changes in management and ownership, so I can't speak on their current level of customer service. However, maybe some of the third-party retailers might be able to help you instead.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #18
ogelneb
Rep

Just a quick report back, after 1,000km: still no issues or codes thrown. It seems that an improperly seated connector was indeed the problem in my case.
Appreciate 0