F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech Rear View Camera - Group Buy
proTUNING Freaks

01-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #133
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchow View Post
I also added my own apple tv, so I could mirror my phone on the screen. I do need to go back and plug in the RCA cables, completely forgot to do that and I don't have audio right now for the apple tv.
Hmm... so with Apple TV, you don't need Bimmertech's SmartView then? I think BT is charging $250 for that. And last time i checked Apple TV is like $149. The only difference i'm aware of is that SmartView uses WiFi Direct - actually, not sure how Apple TV does the mirroring.

I'm just curious how bad the lag is with Apple TV (sorry if this has been asked before)?

Odd that you need to connect the RCA for AppleTV audio. My AppleTV uses HDMI which should transfer both the audio and video signals. In fact, i don't think AppleTV even has RCA audio outputs does it? Also curious how you power the device, which has an AC input? Do you use an AC-to-DC converter?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #134
tchow
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Hmm... so with Apple TV, you don't need Bimmertech's SmartView then? I think BT is charging $250 for that. And last time i checked Apple TV is like $149. The only difference i'm aware of is that SmartView uses WiFi Direct - actually, not sure how Apple TV does the mirroring.

I'm just curious how bad the lag is with Apple TV (sorry if this has been asked before)?

Odd that you need to connect the RCA for AppleTV audio. My AppleTV uses HDMI which should transfer both the audio and video signals. In fact, i don't think AppleTV even has RCA audio outputs does it? Also curious how you power the device, which has an AC input? Do you use an AC-to-DC converter?
BT has the SmartView HD now, which is a modified Apple TV 3. Nothing wrong with BT version, I just didn't want to spend $250, when I already had an ATV 3 that I wasn't using. I bought a power module on ebay(Metal Monkey Industries), which uses USB to power the ATV. ATV does provide audio and video through the HDMI, but with the MMI module, I think it uses the factory AUX for audio, which uses the RCA. At least that's what I got from the SmartView HD install video on youtube.

ATV uses airplay to mirror your iphone, which I believe is a mix of bluetooth and wifi. There is very minimal to zero lag, at least I don't notice any. Only problem I see with the ATV is that it won't mirror youtube/netflix videos without a internet connection for the ATV. I only use it for Waze and spotify, which works fine.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #135
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... ATV does provide audio and video through the HDMI, but with the MMI module, I think it uses the factory AUX for audio, which uses the RCA. At least that's what I got from the SmartView HD install video on youtube.
Huh...? that makes no sense. Why would MMI require a separate RCA input for audio when it already comes in via HDMI? Plus ATV has no RCA outs (latest gen of ATV, anyways), so you're screwed as far as audio goes for ATV.

Quote:
ATV uses airplay to mirror your iphone, which I believe is a mix of bluetooth and wifi. There is very minimal to zero lag, at least I don't notice any. Only problem I see with the ATV is that it won't mirror youtube/netflix videos without a internet connection for the ATV. I only use it for Waze and spotify, which works fine.
Waze and Spotify both require internet connection as well, so if those are working, why wouldn't youtube/netflix? Or do you mean it requires a wired internet connection? I assume you are using your phone for ATV's internet connection...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #136
tchow
Rep

Quote:
Huh...? that makes no sense. Why would MMI require a separate RCA input for audio when it already comes in via HDMI? Plus ATV has no RCA outs (latest gen of ATV, anyways), so you're screwed as far as audio goes for ATV.

Waze and Spotify both require internet connection as well, so if those are working, why wouldn't youtube/netflix? Or do you mean it requires a wired internet connection? I assume you are using your phone for ATV's internet connection...
If you watch this install video, it shows that he plugs in the RCA cables and also requires that AUX be selected.
I'm assuming that's what feeds the audio to the car.

Yes, Waze and Spotify requires an internet connection, but Apple allows this to mirror/stream directly from your phone. Video (youtube/netflix) is different, I assume that is because of lag, which is why they require an internet connection.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #137
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlink View Post
Mr. Huge,

Did you connect anything to the HDMI/USB? I'm thinking of connecting an Amazon Fire TV stick for shits and giggles. The box didn't come with much documentation so I'm not sure if I need to run the arm rest AUX into the MMI RCA inputs to get audio output to the speakers.

Thanks,
Hyperlink
I went back to confirm with Nelson at BT what the deal is with this no-audio-from-hdmi after tchow made reference to it in his last few posts with the Apple TV. Nelson confirmed, "For audio, you need to connect audio out from harness to aux input in center console"

This is complete bullshit. Can't believe someone would actually design something like this. Seems like whoever manufactured this MMI unit, they took some easy, cheaper shortcuts. I guess the focus of this MMI device is video.

Essentially, since the 4th gen AppleTV doesn't even include RCA outputs, you would need an HDMI digital-to-analog converter to get the audio.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #138
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
I went back to confirm with Nelson at BT what the deal is with this no-audio-from-hdmi after tchow made reference to it in his last few posts with the Apple TV. Nelson confirmed, "For audio, you need to connect audio out from harness to aux input in center console"

This is complete bullshit. Can't believe someone would actually design something like this. Seems like whoever manufactured this MMI unit, they took some easy, cheaper shortcuts. I guess the focus of this MMI device is video.

Essentially, since the 4th gen AppleTV doesn't even include RCA outputs, you would need an HDMI digital-to-analog converter to get the audio.
We use the 3rd gen Apple which also does not include RCA output. My question to you is how you plan to power the Apple TV 4?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #139
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

USB power converter products like the one from Metal Monkey Industries
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #140
HUGE3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 Sport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlink View Post
Mr. Huge,

Did you connect anything to the HDMI/USB? I'm thinking of connecting an Amazon Fire TV stick for shits and giggles. The box didn't come with much documentation so I'm not sure if I need to run the arm rest AUX into the MMI RCA inputs to get audio output to the speakers.

Thanks,
Hyperlink
Sorry, just now saw your post. No, I did not connect anything additional, but as others have already mentioned, it appears you do need to connect to the RCA for audio.

I did find this manual for an older version that references some of the settings menus.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Backup_camera_manual.pdf (1.80 MB, 146 views)
Appreciate 1
tchow2.50
      02-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #141
tchow
Rep

I do agree with squidlyboy that shortcuts were made with the MMI unit. I'm sure BT could have had a solution to hook up the audio, without needing an adapter to plug into the AUX in the center glove box, but I also do appreciate that they came out with the MMI unit because it is plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #142
tchow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
We use the 3rd gen Apple which also does not include RCA output. My question to you is how you plan to power the Apple TV 4?
Do you have a updated PDF spec sheet for the MMI unit?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #143
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

It seems we have an expert here who saw a better solution to connect AppleTV to the iDrive system than ours and can share with us how it works. I would be very happy to hear a comment that actually brings any value especially when someone calls something "complete bullshit".

I also think you do not understand how the AppleTV, MMI and iDrive are connected together. The MMI works as an audio converter from HDMI to RCA. Of course it would be much better if we could use digital audio but there are reasons why it's done the way it is (also financial reasons, because if the price was much higher then you would be complaining about it too).

I do not want to start an argument here, so I am not going to make any further comments. I appreciate your feedback but you could try to make your comments in a more polite way.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #144
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i MPPK

If I have netflix video downloaded on my iPhone, how do I play it on the idrive using this device. I read that mirroring is not supported for playing video through netflix without an internet connection? What about youtube and amazon video?

This is to avoid using data by setting a hotspot on your phone, connecting the apple tv to ur phones wifi.

Did I get this right? I am mostly interested in video, looking for no lag high quality video. Will this unit do this. Can someone comment on this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #145
2014BMW320iNewbie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i

Hi is this group buy still active, i would like to purchase a backup camera for my 2014 320i asap.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #146
440notchback
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

rear view camera

Hi im also interested in the camera group buy if its still active .
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #147
702M235
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I am also interested if this group buy is still going on,

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #148
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
we could probably start a new one
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #149
albertolazo7
Registered
Rep
Drives: F 30

Im down too, but I want to get the vivid screen
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #150
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Also down for this. Should we contact the vendor?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #151
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

I'm also interested in this if it's oem integration to the navigation
Appreciate 0