F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car advice : benefits of an 335d xdrive
GetBMWParts

07-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
brent71196
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d (2020)

Smile Car advice : benefits of an 335d xdrive

Hello everyone I'm new to the site and apologise if this thread has already popped up.

I'll be brief, currently I'm lucky enough to have an F30 330d M Sport (non active) in Estoril Blue. Best car I've ever had by far, amazing engine, cracking gearbox and it see's 50mpg on my commute to the West Midlands.

However it's time to change and, this is on lease mind, I've been given the option to get another 330d or step up to a 335d x drive with active suspension for the same money, actually slightly less.

The question is, I cover around 250 miles a week on a commuting run through the Derbyshire dales on my down to the West Midlands, lovely roads you see. The rest of the time it's school runs, etc - so would I notice the difference? I've read the xdrive sits slightly higher, currently with the 19 inch alloys mine can crash and bang about if caught out, but I'd say it's not something that makes me regret getting the car - the handling itself is great, so does the xdrive ride, corner or do anything "better" than the sdrive?

The engine - I'm perfectly happy with 258 BHP, but let's face it 313 BHP for less money sounds good, what's the difference between the two, I'm assuming the 335 has more mid range from its extra turbo, forgive me if I'm wrong.

MPG, I'm currently getting 50+ on a good run in comfort, I get around 25 when being a boy.

Any advice or experienced 330d to 335d drivers out there?

I'd appreciate any help, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Welcome
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Drive one yourself. If going to keep as standard and like driving, stick with 330d.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

If you have no problems with your 330d Sdrive, then just get another but choose the toys you need.

330d Sdrive with mppk....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
simon the pieman
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f44 M235i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent71196
Hello everyone I'm new to the site and apologise if this thread has already popped up.

I'll be brief, currently I'm lucky enough to have an F30 330d M Sport (non active) in Estoril Blue. Best car I've ever had by far, amazing engine, cracking gearbox and it see's 50mpg on my commute to the West Midlands.

However it's time to change and, this is on lease mind, I've been given the option to get another 330d or step up to a 335d x drive with active suspension for the same money, actually slightly less.

The question is, I cover around 250 miles a week on a commuting run through the Derbyshire dales on my down to the West Midlands, lovely roads you see. The rest of the time it's school runs, etc - so would I notice the difference? I've read the xdrive sits slightly higher, currently with the 19 inch alloys mine can crash and bang about if caught out, but I'd say it's not something that makes me regret getting the car - the handling itself is great, so does the xdrive ride, corner or do anything "better" than the sdrive?

The engine - I'm perfectly happy with 258 BHP, but let's face it 313 BHP for less money sounds good, what's the difference between the two, I'm assuming the 335 has more mid range from its extra turbo, forgive me if I'm wrong.

MPG, I'm currently getting 50+ on a good run in comfort, I get around 25 when being a boy.

Hi there. I'm fairly new to this forum too.
I've got no experience with the oil burner beamers as mine have been and currently are petrol, but after reading your post you had me sold on the 335xd. More power+torque 4 wheel drive for less money. Sold!
As you said if you play around in it the mpg will suffer, same in any car. Fuel consumption difference between the 330d and 335xd is 5.3 mpg (quoting bmw official figures). Nothing really.
I know which I would choose.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

330D sdrive is a far better drive than the 335d in my opinion.

yes it has half a second on it to 60...but in 99.9% of occasions that wont matter, and the sdrive will give you more of a smile i reckon.

Upto you. if you go for the 335d (still an amazing car) then get the springs sorted, otherwise you'll be rolling off the road...

andy
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Would disagree with the above, the power feeds to the back, particularly when pushing on.

Nothing more satisfying in the damp watching rwd mercs and bmw backing of round a bend.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d

Last edited by Mattyk; 07-14-2015 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep
Drives: 430d M Sport + EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon the pieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent71196

Hi there. I'm fairly new to this forum too.
I've got no experience with the oil burner beamers as mine have been and currently are petrol, but after reading your post you had me sold on the 335xd. More power+torque 4 wheel drive for less money. Sold!
As you said if you play around in it the mpg will suffer, same in any car. Fuel consumption difference between the 330d and 335xd is 5.3 mpg (quoting bmw official figures). Nothing really.
I know which I would choose.
Tut tut...!

Official figures :

In reality the x35d is going to use a lot more fuel if your around town more often than long (sensible) motorway cruises

Previous - S5 Cabriolet - 442hp
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

How important is maintaining your current fuel consumption?

If not that big a deal then might be worth considering the 335d.

Ditto if you like the idea of maintain great traction through slippery conditions.

Less so if you like a sideways type of fun, or can't be bothered swapping the springs.

The 335d also gives you a very very good traffic light grandprix car no matter what the weather!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Seriously, go and drive one in both dry and wet conditions and then make your call. If you're going to keep it completely standard and like driving, it's hard to not go 330d.

But the 335d can be made to be pretty impressive if you want it to be and please, the xDrive setup is rear biased, anyone that tells you otherwise is talking bollocks.

It's different courses for different horses to be honest. No one car is better.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d, MP pack, ACS springs

Having not driven an sdrive and owning an xdrive I can say 100% that the xdrive is much faster and betterer in every way.

Tight lines.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
Andy30D
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Would disagree with the above, the power feeds to the back, particularly when pushing on.

Nothing more satisfying in the damp watching rwd mercs and bmw backing of round a bend.
nothing more fun that losing the back end out of a bend!
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperyshoe View Post
Having not driven an sdrive and owning an xdrive I can say 100% that the xdrive is much faster and betterer in every way.

Tight lines.
Sorry but I can't agree with this. Firstly if you've never driven an sDrive, how can you make such a comment and secondly in a lot of scenarios, the sDrive (in standard form) pisses on the xDrive.

Look, the sDrive is an astonishingly good drive train and whilst the standard M Sport setup can be improved, as standard it's pretty good. But you do have to accept that in less than ideal conditions, traction is an issue (which is to be expected).

On paper, the 335d Xdrive seems like the perfect solution but in reality it's not for a keen driver. Turn in is nowhere near as great as regardless of the suspension, you've got the extra axle weight up front. It's sitting on SE suspension for reasons that BMW have (and no-one hear understands)- that makes it very wallowy as standard. This can be sorted rapido by puttin ACS springs on but I'm dealing with standard comparison.

Okay, let's talk about the 335d. Firstly economy. When driving sensibly (quickly), I was getting high 30's on average with 45 on long cruise. I think that's pretty impressive. Sure, you'll get 5mpg more over the range with the 330d but frankly compared to depreciation, who cares?!

Traction. Okay, this is where it plays its trump card and I couldn't care what anyone says who drives an sDrive - it makes a HUGE difference in terms of getting the power down in crappy conditions. Driving the M235i in rain the other day made me realise again. It's fun when I'm in the mood but otherwise, I'd rather have my car's ability to just go.

So there you go. As my car now is, I wouldn't trade it for an M3 for everyday driving (and I could change if I wanted to). Granted, my car is hardly standard but I think Terry and I have proved what can be done with it.

BUT if you're going to leave it standard, stick with 330d.

My 2p worth.
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
nothing more fun that losing the back end out of a bend!
I don't quite understand why no sDrive drivers (with the exception of Gordon) seem to realise that (certainly in the damp) this is still possible with the xDrive cars (and is actually hilarious fun).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Sorry but I can't agree with this. Firstly if you've never driven an sDrive, how can you make such a comment and secondly in a lot of scenarios, the sDrive (in standard form) pisses on the xDrive.

Look, the sDrive is an astonishingly good drive train and whilst the standard M Sport setup can be improved, as standard it's pretty good. But you do have to accept that in less than ideal conditions, traction is an issue (which is to be expected).

On paper, the 335d Xdrive seems like the perfect solution but in reality it's not for a keen driver. Turn in is nowhere near as great as regardless of the suspension, you've got the extra axle weight up front. It's sitting on SE suspension for reasons that BMW have (and no-one hear understands)- that makes it very wallowy as standard. This can be sorted rapido by puttin ACS springs on but I'm dealing with standard comparison.

Okay, let's talk about the 335d. Firstly economy. When driving sensibly (quickly), I was getting high 30's on average with 45 on long cruise. I think that's pretty impressive. Sure, you'll get 5mpg more over the range with the 330d but frankly compared to depreciation, who cares?!

Traction. Okay, this is where it plays its trump card and I couldn't care what anyone says who drives an sDrive - it makes a HUGE difference in terms of getting the power down in crappy conditions. Driving the M235i in rain the other day made me realise again. It's fun when I'm in the mood but otherwise, I'd rather have my car's ability to just go.

So there you go. As my car now is, I wouldn't trade it for an M3 for everyday driving (and I could change if I wanted to). Granted, my car is hardly standard but I think Terry and I have proved what can be done with it.

BUT if you're going to leave it standard, stick with 330d.

My 2p worth.
I think he was joking mate!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #16
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I got bored of sliping about in 2wd cars and when attempting to follow an RS4 out of a roundabout during a wet morning commute i decided to try 4wd, only a few weeks in and so far really enjoying it. No fuss, it just goes, which to some may be boring?

It does rain about 160 days a year in the UK so you'll get good use from the 4wd. Joining busy NSL roads from side roads becomes very easy, even when raining.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
I don't quite understand why no sDrive drivers (with the exception of Gordon) seem to realise that (certainly in the damp) this is still possible with the xDrive cars (and is actually hilarious fun).
There are a lot of xdrives drivers don't realise it either.

I wonder how many buy the car and never get it out of Eco mode and comfort in full auto mode.

Personally it's a case of exploring the driving / handling envelope of a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #18
Andy30D
Captain
Rep

Quote:
never said it wasn't possible... You'll be surprised what I have driven!
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #19
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
never said it wasn't possible... You'll be surprised what I have driven!
Not in the slightest Andy as I suspect you've driven some lovely 4wd cars. All I'm saying is that you CAN have fun - it's just in a different way in different conditions.

As I said to Gordon ages ago, in my perfect world I'd have two F30's. One for dry days and one for wet! sDrive pisses on xDrive in the dry for fun BUT xDrive (once sorted) truly holds the cards in the wet. Actually even as standard I can see why people still like it.

I'm happy. My car does the crappy wet drives and when the suns out (and I can tear away keys from the wife!), I take out the M235i!

Actually that was fun in the wet at the weekend for novelty factor alone - I'd get bored of it on daily basis as you have to tiptoe!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Had an s drive 320d and moved into a 335xd after advice on this forum

Both engines pack a shed load of power and are going to be great fun

With the xdrive you get a bit more stability and control esp in the winter - although a decent set of winters would level the field to some extent. Drove my previous 320d in snow and ice no problem on summers then got winters for improved traction

My 2p worth. Get the 335d it costs less has more torque and probably has a bit more traction which in winter etc would be of benefit esp with the mileage you'll be doing

But get the ACS springs
      07-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #21
Andy30D
Captain
Rep

I don't disagree, it all depends what you want out of a car! I've driven loads of things but my Al time favourite has got to be...

A fiesta popular plus 1.1 front wheel drive less power than a fart in a tin can.

Try cornering that at 50...in any bloody condition!

I'm a huge fan of the x drive tbh, but would prove personally go for a s drive if given the choice that's all
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #22
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Both are good cars but for many on this site they each need improving in order to make them great - the 35D xDrive seems to be much more prone to roll, and in reality both suffer from significant understeer.

I have a 330D sDrive and have had a string of them during the past ten years or so, but, there are a couple of things in particular that would sway my decision next time - the 35D can be (sensibly) tuned to a give an output of 40-50 bhp more that the 30D and it has the built-in benefit of 4-wheel drive. The additional traction is useful in certain conditions, so it depends how much you think it will make a substantial difference to you and the conditions/roads that you encounter.

A well sorted 35D is, IMO, the perfect blend of practicality and pace. On balance that's probably where I'm heading 'next time'. For now, a few mods (suspension & tyres, maybe PPK) will give me a '95%' car for less additional investment than PX-ing it for a 35D (and still having to improve the handling).
Appreciate 0