F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: Illuminated LCI AC/radio trim retrofit
ARMA SPEED

12-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #903
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott19864 View Post
Has anyone experienced any problems with the lower panel (with the small LED in) dropping out when driving?

It doesn't seem to want to clip in correctly with all the additional cables behind it.

I had the same issue with my last F30 after doing this mod, fitted same additional cables to new F30 yesterday and the panel fell out today.
1. Try pushing up the wires between the control panel and the headunit so they do not block the cover.
2. The hinges on the LCI trim are much tighter, so you really have to push the cover up to click into place.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #904
Elliott19864
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320i x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Quote:
Has anyone experienced any problems with the lower panel (with the small LED in) dropping out when driving?

It doesn't seem to want to clip in correctly with all the additional cables behind it.

I had the same issue with my last F30 after doing this mod, fitted same additional cables to new F30 yesterday and the panel fell out today.
1. Try pushing up the wires between the control panel and the headunit so they do not block the cover.
2. The hinges on the LCI trim are much tighter, so you really have to push the cover up to click into place.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks that seemed to do the trick.

I got a good strong click after tucking the wires out of the way.
      01-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #905
acevesf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i Gran Coupe

I have a ‘17 430i gc and when I look my vin up it says I have the lighting package but I don’t have the led above the cup holder (as expected).

Would having the lighting package mean the wiring is there though?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #906
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf View Post
I have a ‘17 430i gc and when I look my vin up it says I have the lighting package but I don’t have the led above the cup holder (as expected).

Would having the lighting package mean the wiring is there though?
You should have the illuminated gloss black bezel from factory and no cupholder LED.
If so, you have the wiring and are able to retrofit the cupholder LED, if that is what you're after.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #907
acevesf
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You should have the illuminated gloss black bezel from factory and no cupholder LED.
If so, you have the wiring and are able to retrofit the cupholder LED, if that is what you're after.
Sorry I should have stated better. It’s an early production ‘17 so pre lci I want to retrofit the gloss black illuminated trim and probably the cup holder led lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #908
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf View Post
Quote:
Sorry I should have stated better. It’s an early production ‘17 so pre lci I want to retrofit the gloss black illuminated trim and probably the cup holder led lol
Then your best option is to tap into the footwell lights. See link in second post.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #909
acevesf
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thought so, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #910
WhiteCollarMetalHead
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhjkalfhu View Post
Did you put a 150 ohm resistor on both red and black wires? How many did you end up using?

Thanks
Also looking for more information on this, mine is so bright as it's the knock off one not requiring the Y cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #911
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCollarMetalHead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhjkalfhu View Post
Did you put a 150 ohm resistor on both red and black wires? How many did you end up using?

Thanks
Also looking for more information on this, mine is so bright as it's the knock off one not requiring the Y cable.
Even after reducing the ambient lighting brightness percentage it's too bright?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #912
WhiteCollarMetalHead
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
I coded the ambient to be separated from the cluster / radio because I prefer to have the doors / ambient turned up to 100% as they are so dim and I don't like my cluster so bright.

With the cheap aftermarket radio trim the light is seriously like 5x brighter. I can turn down the ambient so the radio trim is "normal" but then the rest of the ambient turns down with it and becomes so dim the effect is gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #913
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCollarMetalHead View Post
Quote:
I coded the ambient to be separated from the cluster / radio because I prefer to have the doors / ambient turned up to 100% as they are so dim and I don't like my cluster so bright.

With the cheap aftermarket radio trim the light is seriously like 5x brighter. I can turn down the ambient so the radio trim is "normal" but then the rest of the ambient turns down with it and becomes so dim the effect is gone.
I did the same thing, I also have a relatively cheap radio trim...it's bright, but not offensively. I've seen a big variance in brightness depending on which one was installed. It's too bad it's so bright, it's a nice mod when it looks right.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:35 AM   #914
moynihank
Irish Beemer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW G30 M-Sport

Sorted
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #915
Hussam95atm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320d

Hello I am new to this forum, recently I bought a 320d from 2012 and I want to install the panel with led but i don't have the light package (no cupholder LED and no footwell LED) I had read that it is possible to catch current from the warning button but I don't know how to do it, someone could tell me what cables and components I need, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:55 AM   #916
OMGitsREX
Banned
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d xDrive

Garage List
Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered already but does anyone know if it's possible to swap the lighting from the LCI trim to the pre-LCI trim? I have a luxury line and if I could avoid switching to the full gloss trim I'd much prefer it.

Edit: found a couple of references to it in the middle pages, anyone know of a DIY so I can see how much dremeling is actually involved?

Last edited by OMGitsREX; 05-01-2020 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #917
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsREX View Post
Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered already but does anyone know if it's possible to swap the lighting from the LCI trim to the pre-LCI trim? I have a luxury line and if I could avoid switching to the full gloss trim I'd much prefer it.

Edit: found a couple of references to it in the middle pages, anyone know of a DIY so I can see how much dremeling is actually involved?
Welcome! Search YouTube for the DIY on this, there are a few good videos. I haven't seen anyone swap the LEDs only, the only swaps I've seen are for the entire trim piece with wiring and lighting. You could always wrap the piece if you don't prefer the gloss black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #918
Scrupix
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
Question

Hi guys, does anyone knows if this illuminated trim can be found also in chrome version?

I have the luxury package on my F30 and i want to change with illuminated but I would not put the black one so I was wondering if someone know if can be found the illuminated chrome version
What I have is looking like this:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Scrupix; 05-01-2020 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #919
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrupix View Post
Hi guys, does anyone knows if this illuminated trim can be found also in chrome version?

I have the luxury package on my F30 and i want to change with illuminated but I would not put the black one so I was wondering if someone know if can be found the illuminated chrome version
What I have is looking like this:
https://imgur.com/WwRhIqG
No, there only exists the gloss black version from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #920
Scrupix
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
No, there only exists the gloss black version from BMW.
Thx for input Dante , in this case I will give up to the project since I consider that I will ruin the look by changing that chrome look
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 05:25 AM   #921
OMGitsREX
Banned
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Welcome!
Thank you!

Quote:
Search YouTube for the DIY on this, there are a few good videos. I haven't seen anyone swap the LEDs only, the only swaps I've seen are for the entire trim piece with wiring and lighting. You could always wrap the piece if you don't prefer the gloss black.
Swapping the part itself is easy enough and I don't think wrapping is a viable option for what I'd want, thanks for the suggestion though.

My car has the gloss black/pearl chrome trim piece and it really fits the interior of the car nicely. My dash and center console etc are finished in wood but not the glossy kind, it's some kind of luxury line exclusive open pore ridged wood that also has pearl chrome around it and unless I was able to wrap just the outside of the trim in some sort of vinyl that perfectly matches the chrome on the original trim I'd just rather have it all black. But all black would definitely not be my first choice.

I'm retrofitting heated seats eventually (for some weird reason my car doesn't have those... I'm only missing HK [have HIFI], active parking assist [will also be retrofitting] and heated seats ) and will also be keeping the ''chrome'' on the radio and aircon when I do that.

Last edited by OMGitsREX; 05-02-2020 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: added pics
Appreciate 2
haagm58809.50
Dante467.50
      07-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #922
parmap
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D GT

Hello Guys

I've got a F34 320 GT Sport (Not M Sport) 2013 with an lighting package and will this modification work with my car? I've also noticed even if I change my lights from Classic to Sport the colour still remains orange is this correct ?
Appreciate 1
valex0.00
      07-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #923
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmap View Post
Hello Guys

I've got a F34 320 GT Sport (Not M Sport) 2013 with an lighting package and will this modification work with my car? I've also noticed even if I change my lights from Classic to Sport the colour still remains orange is this correct ?
This mod should work with your car, but I'm not sure why the color isn't changing. Is there a small LED light above your front cup holders? This is typically where the y-cable of the LCI trim piece gets power.
Appreciate 1
parmap1.50
      07-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #924
parmap
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D GT

Quote:
This mod should work with your car, but I'm not sure why the color isn't changing. Is there a small LED light above your front cup holders? This is typically where the y-cable of the LCI trim piece gets power.
hello there is a cupholder led light. I'm just confused why I'm unable to change my light from amber to white through the ID 4 menu on either settings Classic/Sport
Appreciate 0